Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Warner Bros. to preview The Hobbit at CinemaCon
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

eralkfang
Lorien

Apr 25 2012, 12:45pm

Post #251 of 256 (2674 views)
Shortcut
Hmm… [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if they'll go with more saintly imagery for Radagast; if Gandalf the Grey is my favorite homeless wizard, then I can only imagine what Radagast is like! The reference to St. Francis is his affinity with animals, I think, but they may well keep the bald patch for the nest.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Apr 25 2012, 2:30pm

Post #252 of 256 (2656 views)
Shortcut
Someone was taking notes [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny how much dialogue this article recalls that others don't.

Thanks for the link. At least they are complementary about the overall storytelling.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2012, 5:16pm

Post #253 of 256 (2604 views)
Shortcut
I'm not concerned at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Films will eventually be displayed at such a high resolution and frame rate that they will be almost indistinguishable from reality, and we'll wonder how we could ever stand what we had in the past. I'm glad we have filmmakers like Jackson, Cameron and Scorsese, who are willing to make bold strides towards the goal of more immersive and believable cinema. Unfortunately, most audiences have been psychologically conditioned by a lifetime of experience to associate comparatively grainy and stuttery footage with high quality and production values, while realistic, detailed and lifelike footage is derided as cheap and fake-looking. Like the initial concerns about 1080p, I'm sure this will come to be seen as groundless.

The idea that 48fps 'exposes the seams' in our artificial cinematic worlds is an interesting one, and not without precedent. Certain types of fakery were believable in black-and-white, but exposed in Technicolor. Rather than halting the technological development of the medium, filmmakers were forced to step up their game, and create ever more realistic and detailed sets, costumes and prosthetics. As I said, I believe the current ambivalence is no more than another bump in the road.

Much more interesting is the actual content of the footage. Radagast's sled being pulled by rabbits sounds like it could be tremendously goofy, but I suppose it's all in the execution: perhaps these are a strange and noble breed of Middle-earth rabbit. I'm quite intrigued by the mention of the Ringwraith's tombs – we knew that the scope of the story would be increased with fabrication, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the new elements added by the filmmakers develop.

namarie
Rohan

Apr 25 2012, 5:27pm

Post #254 of 256 (2564 views)
Shortcut
I like it :P // [In reply to] Can't Post

There is always hope

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 25 2012, 6:10pm

Post #255 of 256 (2598 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit trailer BBC [In reply to] Can't Post

At the moment, the Hobbit trailer is the 4th most watched video on their website! Laugh

Suppose all this news coverage is doing some good!

Eldaria
Rivendell

Apr 26 2012, 5:44pm

Post #256 of 256 (2548 views)
Shortcut
Ouch [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.stuff.co.nz/...Hobbit-trailer-bombs

“There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep ... that have taken hold.”

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.