Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:

Apr 22 2012, 9:35pm

Post #1 of 9 (697 views)

I have to go with Lotr.

Apr 23 2012, 6:52am

Post #2 of 9 (248 views)
So would I [In reply to] Can't Post

Although only because I haven't played skyrim Wink

Apr 23 2012, 4:25pm

Post #3 of 9 (232 views)
Lord of the Rings [In reply to] Can't Post

Skyrim is a good game but it copied alot from Lotr. Whole towns are taken from Lotr which proves that Lotr is better :)

Apr 23 2012, 5:23pm

Post #4 of 9 (257 views)
LOTR, 'nuff said// [In reply to] Can't Post

......"Since the first time I met you,
..I couldn't seem to forget you.
.......And lately I seem to find,
..That you're always on my mind.
.......Whenever I see you smile,
..It makes my life so very worthwhile.
......And ever since the very start,
.....You have always been there in my heart.
..Then I heard that you felt the same way,
......And those words were so easy to say."

Apr 24 2012, 3:43pm

Post #5 of 9 (268 views)
Definitely LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

Skyrim is a great game, I played through every quest and explored the whole map, but it just doesn't grip the audience in the same way that LotR does. Morrowind grabbed me, I felt that world was really alive, but it lost that feel in Oblivion, and didn't regain it in Skyrim.

The storytelling and quest design is derivative and repetitive with a few extremely entertaining exceptions. LotR cleans up in this case, with a world so rich and detailed that makes you just want to know more and more.

Noel Q. von Schneiffel

May 11 2012, 12:59pm

Post #6 of 9 (203 views)
Tie... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't actually gotten around to playing Skyrim, but I agree that Morrowind had something that Oblivion lacked. There was a wide scope and sheer freakiness about it that Oblivion could never quite recreate. I remember the first time I left Ghostgate behind me and stepped onto the Red Mountain, with the blight storm setting in all around me and the Corprus monsters howling over it. Hell, was I scared.

Let me be serious for a moment and drop the prophet stuff: I must say that the entire world of Elder Scrolls - not only Skyrim, everything taken together - reached a depth of culture and mythology which I found unprecedented in any computer game. Derivative in parts, yes, but there was also lots of unique stuff. It may not be on par with LotR in terms of professionalism (linguistic plausibility, etc.), but in terms of sheer creativity of the makers, it is a tie for me.

Now, about characters... I suppose in a fight between Dagoth Ur and Sauron, Dagoth Ur wouldn't stand a chance. I always found him, as a boss opponent, a bit of a letdown, considering how everything was set up. But then, he was no Maia to begin with, but a human transformed to a pseudo-god.

Considering Oblivion, I somehow have the feeling that Sheogorath would win against Sauron handily. And not only in the dressing contest.

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

May 11 2012, 3:16pm

Post #7 of 9 (215 views)
I totally agree [In reply to] Can't Post

with regards to the depth of TES games. The books, the lore, the history, etc. is amazing, and it's one of the main reasons I play them. I think Oblivion was too generic, overall, whereas Morrowind was totally fantastic and very creative.

I do find it kind of difficult to compare them when they're not in the same genre of media, though.

May 25 2012, 12:57am

Post #8 of 9 (207 views)
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Morrowind was and still is one of my favorite games of all time. Oblivion though lacked a great story. I think Skyrim was also great, but it didn't grip me the LOTR does.

Jun 18 2012, 1:02pm

Post #9 of 9 (382 views)
LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.