Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Rivendell Re-design
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 16 2012, 5:05pm

Post #1 of 32 (2451 views)
Shortcut
Rivendell Re-design Can't Post

I've been meaning to post this for some time, but could never find good enough pictures to back it up (or make a discussion out of it) - I'll give it a go anyway, especially as news is a bit thin at the moment Cool

In the trailer that came out over Christmas, we got a very brief glimpse of Rivendell:

http://cate-blanchett.com/...41986&fullsize=1

In the above picture, take note of the building in the very lower right hand side (archways, semi-circles going off page, and the roof bit that extends upwards (can you guess I have no clue about architecture Wink)).

When the trailer first came I went a bit OCD and checked to see where Gandalf and Galadriel were standing (mainly using LOTR footage and the Rivendell environment), but came to the conclusion that the design of Rivendell here was different to that of the film.

Now take a look at these pictures of the Rivendell environment:

http://www.wetacollectors.com/...thread.php?p=1344920

The same building is there (you can see the curved semi-circle building, but is orientated in a completely different direction (curves a different way), and the roof/flet thing has a different design (and now centered in the centre of the building). I had a long look at also couldn't see the buildings as in the middle of the trailer picture.

So I've come to some possible conclusions:

1) Rivendell is attacked by the Necromancer, thus demanding a re-build and re-design of Rivendell by the time of LOTR.
2) The Rivendell environment is not accurate, thus making it hard to determine orientation, detail and design changes
3) The trailer is not the finished design, thus making it hard to determine orientation, detail and design changes
4) The trailer shot is somewhere completely new, not on the Rivendell environment
5) They have (slightly) changed the design (deliberately or accidently)
6) Shut the hell up Daniel, and do something productive.

You're more than welcome to pick any number of conclusions - pick and mix!

What do other people think, am I missing something glarringly obvious?! It's very hard to find any other pictures of Rivendell - does anyone have a picture of the minature used in the trilogy - that would be very helpful.

elevorn
Lorien

Apr 16 2012, 5:41pm

Post #2 of 32 (719 views)
Shortcut
might be wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

I could be complete;y wrong here, and could just be seeing things too, also I can't seem to see the pictures on your second link. But on the right hand side far in the background I see a blur that may be the main house structure of Rivendell. Perhaps this is just a location we have not seen before. Then again, I could just be ignorant of all of it since I cannot see the other picture that you are referring to.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 16 2012, 5:46pm

Post #3 of 32 (699 views)
Shortcut
not sure if you'll find anything useful here but... [In reply to] Can't Post

We were doing a regular discussion feature on LOTR movie in the past for PROPS

I did Elrond's study and I think some other good images/links got posted in that thread including floor plans.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=180332#180332

http://scrapbook.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/3010 (floorplan)

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elizabeth
Valinor

Apr 16 2012, 5:50pm

Post #4 of 32 (664 views)
Shortcut
The Rivendell Elves lves don't have a lot to do... [In reply to] Can't Post

...other than singing and writing poetry. And they're very creative and talented folk. So I expect Rivendell is in a more-or-less current state of revision and improvement. There's 60 years between TH and LotR, so there would be a lot of visible changes!

Is Tolkien a good writer, or amateurish and dated? Join the discussion of Tolkien: A Cultural Phenomenon by Brian Rosebury, now playing in the Reading Room!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 16 2012, 6:02pm

Post #5 of 32 (626 views)
Shortcut
Does this link work? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.wetacollectors.com/...t=35785&page=135

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 16 2012, 6:03pm

Post #6 of 32 (594 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the links Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

I will check them out Smile

elevorn
Lorien

Apr 16 2012, 6:07pm

Post #7 of 32 (607 views)
Shortcut
Not for me [In reply to] Can't Post

The link takes me to the discussion board but I cannot see the pics, could just be me though, I'm somewhat new to looking through boards and may be doing something wrong here.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 16 2012, 6:14pm

Post #8 of 32 (592 views)
Shortcut
Hmm not sure then [In reply to] Can't Post

It works for me fine, and your not doing anything wrong Smile

If you google "Rivendell environment" then click on images, then you will see what I am talking about.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 16 2012, 6:15pm

Post #9 of 32 (624 views)
Shortcut
What and why would they need to improve though? Or is the answer [In reply to] Can't Post

'Cos they can Wink

elevorn
Lorien

Apr 16 2012, 6:29pm

Post #10 of 32 (602 views)
Shortcut
Film makers [In reply to] Can't Post

I know some guys who work directly with set designers and concept for films and such. The last sequel that they worked on the producer demanded that the old sets be updated and incorporated into a newer design. The reason they were give was that the audience would be bored with seeing the same place in two movies.

Its a good possibility if they did a small redesign, or simply expanded the footprint of Rivendell to have some new spots and some new eye candy. I'll check google and see what I can find.

I loved the sets from the trilogy and would love to see even more of what they didn't show us. From the picture magpie linked it just shows the one building area, which I still think is in the background of your first link.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 16 2012, 7:26pm

Post #11 of 32 (576 views)
Shortcut
I can see it - try this... [In reply to] Can't Post

As a lark, try right clicking on the page and choose 'save as > webpage, complete'. You'll get a pop up window that asks where you want to put the files you'll download. Remember where this location is! :-)

Once it's downloaded, you should have a file that is an .htm file and a folder with all the stuff you need for the .htm file to display correctly. If you're lucky, in that folder will be all the images shown on the page.

They are large images. Your internet hookup may just stop trying to download if it's taking too long.

LOTR soundtrack website

(This post was edited by Magpie on Apr 16 2012, 7:26pm)

elevorn
Lorien

Apr 16 2012, 7:33pm

Post #12 of 32 (544 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Magpie I'll try that [In reply to] Can't Post

elevorn
Lorien

Apr 16 2012, 7:42pm

Post #13 of 32 (610 views)
Shortcut
I think I have your answer!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think they did any retooling with the Rivendell set. What we are seeing here is a different angle on the falls and the pillars I'm going to try to link the picture I found that aids my hypothesis. Try this one and see what you see. If you look at the triple falls on the lower left hand side of the main building you can see what looks to match the scene from the trailer. Granted there are problems with the positioning and the treeline from the newer pic and this one.

elevorn
Lorien

Apr 16 2012, 8:00pm

Post #14 of 32 (571 views)
Shortcut
Yeah not so much [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, well I am considering retracting my before statement because the more I look at it the more I cannot find where they would be standing, or the "bridgework" that is at the lower right of the new image with Galadriel and Gandalf so it looks like they added on somewhere.

Or this is their secret love nest that no one knows about while they have their little affair

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 16 2012, 8:10pm

Post #15 of 32 (583 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it's baffling! [In reply to] Can't Post

You provide a stunning picture, but there are still obvious differences (if you look hard enough!)

I think they have had a slight redisgn, but will wait until we get another clearer shot!

I like your suggestion though Wink Perhaps a love nest behind one of the waterfalls Sly

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2012, 8:39pm

Post #16 of 32 (638 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link to Rivendell PROPS, Magpie. [In reply to] Can't Post

And the sketch of the Rivendell design plan. How did TORn come by that? Super! I think being a set designer and dresser for Peter Jackson would be a dream come true for a designer.

Vangalad
Lorien

Apr 16 2012, 9:41pm

Post #17 of 32 (543 views)
Shortcut
Check the 1st video blog [In reply to] Can't Post

Around 2.40 PJ says we are going to see some new parts of Rivendell in the hobbit movies... He even mentions cool bits of it. Smilehttp://www.youtube.com/...1bFqdynMVzQroGE-m4rE

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 16 2012, 9:44pm

Post #18 of 32 (507 views)
Shortcut
I'm guessing someone scanned it and sent it to TORn [In reply to] Can't Post

It was originally published in American Cinematographer Dec 2001.

At the time, I tried to track down a better scan and wasn't able to (I can't read much of the details of the one TORn has). I should spend some time logged into my school's account with EBSCO which seems to carry American Cinematographer.

Then again, I might try the Google image search trick and see what I get. - nope, didn't find anything.

LOTR soundtrack website

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 17 2012, 6:57am

Post #19 of 32 (431 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I had remembered that [In reply to] Can't Post

But it is interesting to see that same curved building is orientated in different directions - unless of course, there are more than 1 of these buildings - and this is what Jackson was referring too?

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 17 2012, 6:57am

Post #20 of 32 (414 views)
Shortcut
It makes me want to live in Rivendell even more!! / [In reply to] Can't Post

redgiraffe
Rohan

Apr 17 2012, 9:04am

Post #21 of 32 (408 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember that sometimes in trailers shots will be flipped backwards. In the film it might be flipped the other way around which could give it a different orientation. Hope that helps a bit.

But I honestly think, and hope, that they didn't redesign Rivendel and that they are just showing new bits that we haven't seen before as Peter said in the blog.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 17 2012, 9:27am

Post #22 of 32 (412 views)
Shortcut
I did think it could be a flipped shot [In reply to] Can't Post

but got to confused trying to figure it out - wouldn't the ortientation still be wrong Crazy Plus it doesn't account for the new buildings seen in the middle shot of the trailer picture.

I think it's probably a combination of the fact that the Rivendell environment doesn't have enough (correct) detail, and there have been design tweaks.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Apr 17 2012, 9:37am

Post #23 of 32 (398 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I'm confused on trying to make sense of the location [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly have no idea if flipping the shot would make more sense as to it's orientation, because I honestly am having a hard time trying to pinpoint it, myself. I was merely just trying to offer up a possibility to see what you could make of it. Other than that I haven't even tried to decipher it's relation to the rivendell set... haha I was more hoping that you would be able to figure it out for us and then explain it Tongue.

But again, I'm hoping it's not a redesign, as I really dislike continuity differences in films. I'm hoping it's just a different part of Rivendell that we haven't seen yet.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Apr 17 2012, 9:39am

Post #24 of 32 (396 views)
Shortcut
by the way... [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you mean by you think it doesn't have enough (correct) detail? Were you referring to the miniature?

(This post was edited by redgiraffe on Apr 17 2012, 9:40am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 17 2012, 10:57am

Post #25 of 32 (379 views)
Shortcut
Originally [In reply to] Can't Post

I originally hoped that close up shots of the Rivendell environment would make it easier to find where Gandriel were standing, but quickly found that I couldn't make the new shot match at all --> I'm hoping that future shots may help us determine it more.

As for what I meant regaring "enough (correct) detail" - I was specifically refering to the Rivendell environment that WETA make. Apart from close up shots of the environment statue, it is very hard to find anywhere online pictures of the actual miniature used in the film (including final shots). I assume, therefore, that the environment statue doesn't have as much detail (and as much correct detail) as the actual prop used in the films. Hope that clears it up!! Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.