Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Rivendell Re-design

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 16 2012, 5:05pm

Views: 2378
Shortcut
Rivendell Re-design Can't Post

I've been meaning to post this for some time, but could never find good enough pictures to back it up (or make a discussion out of it) - I'll give it a go anyway, especially as news is a bit thin at the moment Cool

In the trailer that came out over Christmas, we got a very brief glimpse of Rivendell:

http://cate-blanchett.com/...41986&fullsize=1

In the above picture, take note of the building in the very lower right hand side (archways, semi-circles going off page, and the roof bit that extends upwards (can you guess I have no clue about architecture Wink)).

When the trailer first came I went a bit OCD and checked to see where Gandalf and Galadriel were standing (mainly using LOTR footage and the Rivendell environment), but came to the conclusion that the design of Rivendell here was different to that of the film.

Now take a look at these pictures of the Rivendell environment:

http://www.wetacollectors.com/...thread.php?p=1344920

The same building is there (you can see the curved semi-circle building, but is orientated in a completely different direction (curves a different way), and the roof/flet thing has a different design (and now centered in the centre of the building). I had a long look at also couldn't see the buildings as in the middle of the trailer picture.

So I've come to some possible conclusions:

1) Rivendell is attacked by the Necromancer, thus demanding a re-build and re-design of Rivendell by the time of LOTR.
2) The Rivendell environment is not accurate, thus making it hard to determine orientation, detail and design changes
3) The trailer is not the finished design, thus making it hard to determine orientation, detail and design changes
4) The trailer shot is somewhere completely new, not on the Rivendell environment
5) They have (slightly) changed the design (deliberately or accidently)
6) Shut the hell up Daniel, and do something productive.

You're more than welcome to pick any number of conclusions - pick and mix!

What do other people think, am I missing something glarringly obvious?! It's very hard to find any other pictures of Rivendell - does anyone have a picture of the minature used in the trilogy - that would be very helpful.

Subject User Time
Rivendell Re-design DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 16 2012, 5:05pm
    might be wrong elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Apr 16 2012, 5:41pm
        Does this link work? DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 16 2012, 6:02pm
            Not for me elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Apr 16 2012, 6:07pm
                Hmm not sure then DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 16 2012, 6:14pm
                I can see it - try this... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 16 2012, 7:26pm
                    Thanks Magpie I'll try that elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Apr 16 2012, 7:33pm
    not sure if you'll find anything useful here but... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 16 2012, 5:46pm
        Thanks for the links Magpie DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 16 2012, 6:03pm
        Thanks for the link to Rivendell PROPS, Magpie. Lissuin Send a private message to Lissuin Apr 16 2012, 8:39pm
            I'm guessing someone scanned it and sent it to TORn Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 16 2012, 9:44pm
            It makes me want to live in Rivendell even more!! / DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 17 2012, 6:57am
    The Rivendell Elves lves don't have a lot to do... Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Apr 16 2012, 5:50pm
        What and why would they need to improve though? Or is the answer DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 16 2012, 6:15pm
            Film makers elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Apr 16 2012, 6:29pm
            I think I have your answer!! elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Apr 16 2012, 7:42pm
                Yeah not so much elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Apr 16 2012, 8:00pm
                    Yeah, it's baffling! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 16 2012, 8:10pm
                        Check the 1st video blog Vangalad Send a private message to Vangalad Apr 16 2012, 9:41pm
                            Yes, I had remembered that DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 17 2012, 6:57am
                                Also redgiraffe Send a private message to redgiraffe Apr 17 2012, 9:04am
                                    I did think it could be a flipped shot DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 17 2012, 9:27am
                                        Yeah I'm confused on trying to make sense of the location redgiraffe Send a private message to redgiraffe Apr 17 2012, 9:37am
                                        by the way... redgiraffe Send a private message to redgiraffe Apr 17 2012, 9:39am
                                            Originally DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 17 2012, 10:57am
    There is a problem here AlatarVinyamar Send a private message to AlatarVinyamar Apr 17 2012, 11:05am
        Excellent DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 17 2012, 11:14am
    I was just watching the trailer again for the umpteenth time Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Apr 18 2012, 1:29am
        Absolutely! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 18 2012, 6:52am
            By the front gate DarkJackal Send a private message to DarkJackal Apr 24 2012, 3:42am
                Thanks for that DJ DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 24 2012, 7:12am
        I remember the back door thing lurtz2010 Send a private message to lurtz2010 Apr 18 2012, 7:24am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.