Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
COH this week.

3Foot6

Oct 1 2007, 1:12am

Post #1 of 6 (4188 views)
Shortcut
COH this week. Can't Post

I bought COH back in about June, but saved it until I finished the Bar and all that stuff. I am going camping this weekend, and am going to start reading it in the middle of the woods. It should be very peaceful.

To those who have read it: is it similar to the Silmarillion, or does it read more like a narrative?

Thanks everyone.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 1 2007, 2:54am

Post #2 of 6 (3876 views)
Shortcut
Boy, is your timing off! [In reply to] Can't Post

We just finished a detailed discussion of CoH here this week! You can page back and see the details, but if what you want is a quick overview, you'll find it in this thread.

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2007, 2:55am

Post #3 of 6 (3873 views)
Shortcut
I didn't [In reply to] Can't Post

find it like Sil, I think it was a little easier to get through, although that section of Sil was ok.....sorry! Not much help am I?

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 1 2007, 4:38am

Post #4 of 6 (3858 views)
Shortcut
Nominally there are two more weeks of discussion. [In reply to] Can't Post

As you can see from drogo's thead above, we're supposed to be discussing the appendical material in The Children of Húrin through October 14, and there may be a few more posts yet on that subject.

As to your question: The Children of Húrin covers a lot less ground than The Silmarillion, which as presented, is meant to feel like a condensation of longer, somewhat more immediate tales. In fact, CoH is imagined as one of those longer tales. However, because Tolkien never revisited that portion of The Silmarillion, there is overlap where the 1977 book draws on material intended more for this work (and vice versa). But yes, CoH is more like a narrative, and less like a history, though still not as personal as The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discuss The Children of Húrin in the Reading Room, June 11-October 14.

Curious
Half-elven

Oct 1 2007, 10:24pm

Post #5 of 6 (3847 views)
Shortcut
The camping may be peaceful; CoH is anything but! [In reply to] Can't Post

To those who have read it: is it similar to the Silmarillion, or does it read more like a narrative?

Yes. It is similar to The Silmarillion, except that long parts of it read more like a narrative, by which I assume you mean a novel, rather than a history. It is also different from The Silmarillion, obviously, because it focuses on Turin. Even the tale of Hurin is incomplete; except for a brief epilogue, the story ends with Turin's death.

Please let us know what you think. Many of us had already read the version of the tale found in Unfinished Tales, and it sounds like you have not. I would love to know your impressions.

3Foot6

Oct 2 2007, 1:48am

Post #6 of 6 (4091 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Will do! With my job, it should take me quite a while to get through it, seeing as I get about 30 minutes of pleasure reading per day (which stinks). Too bad I won't be able to take part in the discussion. I always seem to be late. I guess that means I arrive precisely when I mean to.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Enjoy your week!

In Reply To

Yes. It is similar to The Silmarillion, except that long parts of it read more like a narrative, by which I assume you mean a novel, rather than a history. It is also different from The Silmarillion, obviously, because it focuses on Turin. Even the tale of Hurin is incomplete; except for a brief epilogue, the story ends with Turin's death.

Please let us know what you think. Many of us had already read the version of the tale found in Unfinished Tales, and it sounds like you have not. I would love to know your impressions.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.