Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is anyone else feeling a little sad that the film is actually wrapping
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Apr 12 2012, 4:37am

Post #1 of 28 (1854 views)
Shortcut
Is anyone else feeling a little sad that the film is actually wrapping Can't Post

up in the next couple of months? We have gone from hoping, to despair to hope to despair and then joy with this film history. Much of the pleasure as a fan has been in the who, what, when and where. Now that we are assured of these two films and EE editions over the next 2-4 years the journeys end is in sight. Yes, there is much still to do and we don't know how they will turn out, but I feel some nostalgia already over those early days from the GDT / PJ, Walsh and Boyens writing efforts through the long bankruptcy disappointment and then PJ taking over then the casting, design, locations etc. until the first Vlog. Oh well, I can start dreaming of The Children of Hurin.

Avnar
Lorien

Apr 12 2012, 6:06am

Post #2 of 28 (593 views)
Shortcut
Sad? Not at all... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm more dissapointed with the lack of info about the films if anything Cool

What ever happened to those 20 questions?

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Apr 12 2012, 6:24am

Post #3 of 28 (567 views)
Shortcut
mostly answered in the vlogs [In reply to] Can't Post

as far as I can tell.

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Have you explored all of TORN's forums?

Welsh hero
Gondor

Apr 12 2012, 6:30am

Post #4 of 28 (517 views)
Shortcut
no.// [In reply to] Can't Post

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 12 2012, 6:35am

Post #5 of 28 (575 views)
Shortcut
It is bittersweet in a way... [In reply to] Can't Post

After the numerous delays and disappointments, the film finally got off the ground and I was ecstatic.

But yes, reading about Stephen Fry finish filming reminded me that very soon (if 2 years can be called "soon") it will all be over. The cameras will wrap, the sets will come down, and many people will move on.

But isn't that what Tolkien is all about anyway? Endings? Makes one look to the future, but also appreciate the present, and cherish the past Smile

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 12 2012, 6:47am

Post #6 of 28 (531 views)
Shortcut
Agree with you here Earl [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyway, we have the trilogy film version of the Silmarillion to look forward to, right?!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 12 2012, 6:48am

Post #7 of 28 (530 views)
Shortcut
Silmarillion TRILOGY? Nah... that's going to be 7 films ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 12 2012, 8:03am

Post #8 of 28 (483 views)
Shortcut
Yes, me [In reply to] Can't Post

Every time I read that they've finished this block of filming, or that someone has filmed their scenes and is preparing to leave, I do feel sad. I've just finished watching through the EE documentaries with all the endings and partings there are in the last disk for 'Return of the King', so can guess that something like that must be going on for them again right now in New Zealand. I do want to see the films, of course, but I don't want it to be all over yet...

I just keep reminding myself that there's another film to go, next year!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Apr 12 2012, 8:58am

Post #9 of 28 (478 views)
Shortcut
Yes, a tinge...but I was particularly saddened when I discovered in January that they were not filming after July [In reply to] Can't Post

As I had thought that they were going to continue filming on into 2013!!

Crazy

Silly me!..... ... ...BlushFrown

The Lord of the Hams:

There is only one lord of the ham...and he does not share ham

If this is indeed the ham of the council, Hamdor will fry it done.

This is no rabble of mindless porks, these are Hamak-Hai: their steak is thick, and their bacon broad

(courtesy of moreham and HamTheEast)

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Apr 12 2012, 8:59am)

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Apr 12 2012, 9:26am

Post #10 of 28 (451 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they won't need as many pick-ups, after taking things slowly [In reply to] Can't Post

Since they haven't been killing themselves with the nonstop mad schedule they had with LOTR, this time taking it more slowly and doing only 2 films in the same amount of time, it occurred to me that there will be less need for pick-ups than there was with LOTR-- because they've had more opportunities to "get it right" the first time.

So when they wrap in July, it may be that they're really wrapping! I can imagine Bilbo, Gandalf, or a dwarf having a couple of pick-ups here or there, but nothing like they did with LOTR. Which is okay, you know, because ultimately the filmmakers are applying what they learned last time. Now everyone comes out alive, and PJ doesn't get another ulcer, so that he might even have a little bit of time to enjoy some of the money he gets for taking on a project of this size, and so he can get on with other things like Tintin II.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 12 2012, 9:32am

Post #11 of 28 (457 views)
Shortcut
Pick-ups are inevitable [In reply to] Can't Post

Since something that they filmed last year may now be no good, or not fit with an additional scene they put somewhere else etc. Since the script undegos changes daily (by the sounds of it) they may well need to add more/different scenes here and there to keep up with the current script changes.

As for the Master doing a pick-up, it's probably unlikely since he's only a minor/secondary character.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Apr 12 2012, 10:22am

Post #12 of 28 (435 views)
Shortcut
Well said, Earl. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've enjoyed the filming whilst it lasted but I'm excited that, with it wrapping, we are just so much closer to actually seeing it.

It also means, of course, that we are bound to get more information after July. I don't mind being spoiled and I'm hoping for another trailer and vlog in the summer. PLUS, the actors will be coming home and will be invited onto various chat shows and will be interviewed in newspapers and magazines. I can imagine that the rules about how much they are allowed to say will be relaxed a little as the publicity machine creaks into action.

No, no real sadness- just excitement that we are edging closer to our goal. However, I do understand those who claim that it's the journey, not the destination that is the most exciting bit: "Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it."

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 12 2012, 10:28am

Post #13 of 28 (439 views)
Shortcut
Now you mention it - a heads up! [In reply to] Can't Post

You just reminded me - Cate Blanchett is on the Graham Norton Show tomorrow night (here in the UK). Since she has no upcoming roles in TV or film (that I am aware of) lets hope for some LOTR & Hobbit talk! Will post anything of interest Smile

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Apr 12 2012, 10:50am

Post #14 of 28 (426 views)
Shortcut
It is indeed sad [In reply to] Can't Post

You just have to think of what the actors have gone through. They've been with each other near every day for many many months. I only tangentially know what it's like, having worked in theater, but anyone who's watch the LotR appendices can't help but feel that tenderness and heart of everybody. I feel like because the films weren't as long it's not as much of an emotional connection, but what of it? Connections are connections and we should not belittle friendships simply because we thought one was "deeper". They will feel the sadness all the same.

kareniel
Lorien

Apr 12 2012, 4:52pm

Post #15 of 28 (322 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'm a little sad too. [In reply to] Can't Post

The wrap of filming is an end to another stage of the journey, and to me, the journey is as much fun as the destination. I love experiencing the anticipation of anything good: Christmas, a trip to another country, a delicious meal after working in the yard all afternoon. It's all part of the whole experience, and all to be savored and enjoyed. The emotional ups and downs of this journey have been fun, although of course, I will enjoy the beautiful destination when we reach it in December!

jschomburg
Rivendell

Apr 12 2012, 5:48pm

Post #16 of 28 (313 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I am sad to some extent.. [In reply to] Can't Post

As others have said, the journey is as much fun as the end result. To me, following the LOTR ( I was a very late follower of TorN, so this journey with the Hobbit has been grand) was a lot of fun, as was watching and reading about the the making of the movies. After LOTR, there was hope / speculation that PJ and company would do the Hobbit, so something to look forward to with that amazing group of artists. As we do have a couple more years to go, the realization that this will be the last visit to Middle Earth by this particular group is beginning to set in. I bet I have watched the making of LOTR as many times as the movies and enjoy the story each time. I really have enjoyed the perspective and challenges of all the different groups who contributed, including Alan Lee and John Howe and how them became involved and how their involvement went on a lot longer than typical conceptual artists.

One thing this time I have especially enjoyed is the vbogs that have been done. Gives you a "real time" taste of the task that the film makers are going through, and the huge logistical exercise of putting on a production such as this. Certainly does seem that PJ has applied "lessons learned", although you can tell it is still huge and very tiring.

So, the end will be sad, to some degree for me, but BOY do I look forward to the end result!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 12 2012, 6:45pm

Post #17 of 28 (307 views)
Shortcut
Oh that's great news. [In reply to] Can't Post

To be honest I just like to hear Cate speak - her tone is warm and entrancing.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Apr 12 2012, 9:38pm

Post #18 of 28 (291 views)
Shortcut
Not really, and I say that only because... [In reply to] Can't Post

...principal photography is only the beginning of the journey, after pre-production anyways. We'll still be getting vlogs from Peter about post-production, as he said it would be another 2 or 3 years. Then you have pick-up shooting, and the releases, home releases, etc. Plenty more to look forward to.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Apr 13 2012, 7:46am

Post #19 of 28 (212 views)
Shortcut
Not Sad just more impatient. [In reply to] Can't Post

Knowing the film is underwraps, is an even worse feeling.The first trailer, dosen't reveal much and with all these production videos, it makes me want to see a Featurette or a TV spot or something among those lines.Crazy
When will this happen?.People speculate around July, so my fingers are crossed until then.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Apr 13 2012, 2:43pm

Post #20 of 28 (184 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

But my question is: How long until a remake of LOTR and/or the Hobbit? 20, 30 years?

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 13 2012, 2:46pm

Post #21 of 28 (191 views)
Shortcut
You reckon we are going to see another adaptation in our lifetime?? / [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 13 2012, 11:00pm

Post #22 of 28 (168 views)
Shortcut
Sad? Something like that. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's sort of like Christmas... the anticipation is often better than an opened gift.

On the other hand not much will change. We simply go from complaining about what might or might not make it into the films to complaining about what did or didn't make it into the films. It's what geeks do. Geeks we are, and geeks we shall remain.Laugh

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 13 2012, 11:01pm)

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2012, 11:04pm

Post #23 of 28 (171 views)
Shortcut
True, I will raise an adult beverage to that sentiment tonight..TGIF. [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Apr 14 2012, 2:15am

Post #24 of 28 (153 views)
Shortcut
I sure hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, it would be an unbearable shame to see just one man's live action interpretation of Tolkien. I dream of another vision, which is why Del Toro's departure was so disappointing.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 14 2012, 9:47am

Post #25 of 28 (138 views)
Shortcut
If all else, fails you still have the books [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think we will get another version - not for a very very long time yet (50+ years).

Why make another version when the original did so well (I await the replies about all remakes do it whether the original was successful or not Tongue)

That's just my opinion though

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.