Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Master of Laketown has wrapped his scenes...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Owain
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2012, 4:09am

Post #1 of 49 (1695 views)
Shortcut
The Master of Laketown has wrapped his scenes... Can't Post

From the incomparable Stephen Fry.

https://twitter.com/...s/189870292607307776

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Apr 11 2012, 4:12am

Post #2 of 49 (542 views)
Shortcut
I love that man [In reply to] Can't Post

A huge heart, and huge intellect.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2012, 4:13am

Post #3 of 49 (508 views)
Shortcut
Agreed.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Moahunter
Rohan

Apr 11 2012, 6:28am

Post #4 of 49 (533 views)
Shortcut
Loved the follower who asked.......... [In reply to] Can't Post

" who are you playing?"

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 11 2012, 6:51am

Post #5 of 49 (486 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for letting us know Owain [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what scene his last was then?? Him crawling out onto the shore after Laketown is attacked be Smaug?!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2012, 8:16am

Post #6 of 49 (455 views)
Shortcut
Well DanielLB I would really hope for the tantalising hint by Tolkien that he went out into the desert/wastes with loads of the town's gold gone mad [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah Stephen Fry is going to be a wonder for that! I'm guessing his servant Alrid or whatever would join him too

Cool

The Lord of the Hams:

There is only one lord of the ham...and he does not share ham

If this is indeed the ham of the council, Hamdor will fry it done.

This is no rabble of mindless porks, these are Hamak-Hai: their steak is thick, and their bacon broad

(courtesy of moreham and HamTheEast)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 11 2012, 8:21am

Post #7 of 49 (438 views)
Shortcut
Oooh didn't think of that [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you think they will film scenes past the attack of Laketown? - perhaps have a scene of him feeling off into the wild, and then dieing from starvation? I'm not sure how it would work cinematically? Unless, after the rebuilding of Laketown they just say the Master had died?

Although, as it's PJ, maybe we could have the Master fleeing his burning city, reach the shore, flee into the wild, and then be attacked by a lone warg Shocked Good job I'm not making the films Laugh

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2012, 8:23am

Post #8 of 49 (431 views)
Shortcut
LOL good one. I suspect that he'll tweak timelines a bit indeed... [In reply to] Can't Post

but a lone warg?? ?? seriously DanielLB Mad

TongueWink

The Lord of the Hams:

This is no rabble of mindless porks, these are Hamak-Hai: their steak is thick, and their bacon broad

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 11 2012, 8:32am

Post #9 of 49 (416 views)
Shortcut
Ok, ok [In reply to] Can't Post

Either a pack of wargs, or even better, a hungry eagle Laugh .......

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Apr 11 2012, 8:45am

Post #10 of 49 (407 views)
Shortcut
quick sand! [In reply to] Can't Post

From the book, it's a happy accident that Bilbo and the Dwarves end up captured by the elves and escape via the River Running*- the only viable 'road' from the forest to the lake. the other paths disappear and are confused and grown over.

I think Fry's character will die in the Marshes as he does in the books- but it will be a dramatic sinking, weighed down by gold he refuses to let go of and be saved. Whether it's water or quicksand is up for debate.

*I think that's the right name- I haven't read the book in a while.

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Have you explored all of TORN's forums?

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 11 2012, 8:54am

Post #11 of 49 (409 views)
Shortcut
As far as I can remember (no book handy) [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't the Master die in the "wilderness" - it doesn't say anything about the forest or marshes?? Smile

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2012, 8:55am

Post #12 of 49 (407 views)
Shortcut
Awesome idea titanium_hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Perfectomundo!!

I always thought that it would be starvation and/or hypothermia and/or heat stroke Wink

But that's waaaay more dramatically suited :)

The Lord of the Hams:

Moahunter
Rohan

Apr 11 2012, 9:28am

Post #13 of 49 (404 views)
Shortcut
"......died of starvation in the Waste, deserted by his companions." [In reply to] Can't Post

Related to Bilbo by either Gandalf or Balin when they visited him one Autumn evening some years afterwards.

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Apr 11 2012, 9:33am

Post #14 of 49 (408 views)
Shortcut
you made me get out my book [In reply to] Can't Post

if I'm found doing this instead of my assignments I'll catch it. Angelic

"The old Master [of Lake-town] had come to a bad end. Bard had given him much gold for the help of the Lake-people, but being of the kind that easily catches such disease he fell under the dragon-sickness, and took most of the gold and fled with it, and died of starvation in the Waste, deserted by his companions." (Page 284-285 in my edition- when Balin and Gandalf visit Bag End)

Of a more reading room style discussion, I suppose dying of starvation is appropriate, for just as Thorin found, you can't eat gold- as opposed to Bilbo's "food and cheer" merrier world.

But for the movie, I still think drowning in a bog or marsh.

on page 184: (beginning of chapter 10) "Great floods and rains had swollen the waters that flowed east; and there had been an earthquake or two (which some where inclined to attribute to the dragon - alluding to him chiefly with a curse and an ominous nod in the direction of the Mountain. The marshes and bogs had spread wider and wider on either side. Paths had vanished, and many a rider and wanderer too, if they had tried to find the lost ways across. ... so you see Bilbo had come in the end by the only road that was any good. "

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 11 2012, 9:46am

Post #15 of 49 (381 views)
Shortcut
Thanks titanium_hobbit and Moahunter! [In reply to] Can't Post

That clears things up.

Firstly, I wonder if we will have a couple of earthquakes? I said awhile back whether PJ and co will make Smaug a more active dragon (i.e. show him on multiple attacks before/during the journey) rather than in the book where he stays under the Mountain, and becomes (sort of like) a legend. Having an earthquake here and there while the Dwarves are in Laketown might just be what is needed to show that Smaug is still around and very much active!

To be honest, I don't really mind how the Master dies - whether it is by starvation/exhaustian, or by drowning, or even my his head being ripped off by a Warg Tongue Just as long as we see him come to a nasty end I'll be content Laugh

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 11 2012, 10:55am

Post #16 of 49 (364 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if they'll just have the Master killed off in the Battle of Five Armies [In reply to] Can't Post

Come to think of it, Tolkien never does mention what the Master does during the Battle of Five Armies does he? So it's open to interpretation I suppose Crazy

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 11 2012, 10:59am

Post #17 of 49 (359 views)
Shortcut
He stays at Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

and plans the building of the new town? When Bard returns with gold he gets "dragon sickness"

http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=437842;#437842

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Apr 11 2012, 12:21pm

Post #18 of 49 (326 views)
Shortcut
oh. I hope not- Master at Battle [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems a bit counter character for the Master to march into battle. he's too self interested.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 11 2012, 12:31pm

Post #19 of 49 (319 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't need a 23rd character Wink

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 11 2012, 12:52pm

Post #20 of 49 (311 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, me neither... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but since he's the "evil" guy, I'm sure the filmmakers will want us to get some sort of closure on his fate, similar to how Saruman and Grima were handled in ROTK.

Perhaps he won't be shown actively fighting the battle. He may be shown fleeing from it like a coward and getting slain by Orcs in the wilderness, along with Alfrid.

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 11 2012, 1:03pm

Post #21 of 49 (309 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it depends [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether they decide to have the Master stick around to arrange the building of a new city, and then hear from Gandalf/Balin that he died and was replaced; or have him flee during Smaug's attack, be killed by orc/warg/starvation/drowning/any other way, and have Bard come forward.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2012, 1:25pm

Post #22 of 49 (305 views)
Shortcut
LOL! The possibilities of his demise eh!? [In reply to] Can't Post

"...orc/warg/starvation/drowning/any other way ..."

^Laugh

The Lord of the Hams:

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Apr 11 2012, 1:26pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2012, 2:29pm

Post #23 of 49 (316 views)
Shortcut
He needs to be offed on screen [In reply to] Can't Post

In books, stories are told via words, and therefore they can also be ended with words. On film, stories are told via moving images joined with sounds, and need to be finished the same way for it to feel satisfactory for the audience.

It's not really a problem. They can show it via a quick flash back when it's brought up by the other characters. Just a shot of him starving in the wild, all alone, with only gold around him. Very cinematic and very central to the major themes of the movie.

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Apr 11 2012, 2:32pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2012, 2:31pm

Post #24 of 49 (297 views)
Shortcut
Considering what we've heard of his character design [In reply to] Can't Post

it seems unlike PJ is going for any kind of symphathetic portrayal of him.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 11 2012, 2:33pm

Post #25 of 49 (287 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

What I meant by "cinematically" (and should have also added) is that do we actually need to see the Master die, will it detract from the film and where would it be fit in? Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.