Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Hobbit Weapon Replicas
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DarkJackal
Rohan

Apr 10 2012, 6:56pm

Post #1 of 31 (1027 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Weapon Replicas Can't Post

Don't get too excited now, I don't have any truly amazing news to share, but I've scrounged up a wee bit that I think might interest some of you. The details can be found on my blog:

The Hobbit Movie Weapon Replicas

The information I've gathered comes from Kit Rae, who is doing the designs for United Cutlery. There are many threads to follow if you want it all from the horse's mouth, and I urge you to follow them, but hopefully this sums up it conveniently. Some interesting things about Gandalf's staff in particular...

-DarkJackal

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 10 2012, 7:06pm

Post #2 of 31 (623 views)
Shortcut
Thanks again :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

This is very exicting news for me since I collected some of the weapons from the trilogy. It will be great to be able to buy these new items, and still have UC on the team to make them.

Some thoughts, I'm assuming Sting will be the same size as the trilogy? I assume that's what they mean?

And I am guessing inside Gandalf's staff is his light-up rock/stone.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Apr 10 2012, 7:57pm

Post #3 of 31 (646 views)
Shortcut
Sting and Gandalf's Staff [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure about overall length of the new version of Sting, but the shape of the replicas from each film may be slightly different, since there were problems with the standard issue Sting from UC (they fixed some of those errors when they released the Museum Collection version, according to Kit Rae) and this new Sting will be more film accurate in shape.

I don't know what is inside the staff, but it may be more intriguing than a rock! Take a look at these images (not mine btw, I never would have noticed this!) and tell me what that white thing inside looks like. Kit Rae's comment, about speculations that it might be a staff within a staff, is even more interesting:

"UC is making this one. I am supervising the replica for them. I can't say what is inside the crown on this version, but you guys hit close to the mark. I have no idea how it will tie into the story line, if it is even explained, but I found it very interesting when I first saw it. The prop ( Built by 3 Foot 7 for the production) is incredible."

-DarkJackal

(This post was edited by DarkJackal on Apr 10 2012, 8:06pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 10 2012, 8:01pm

Post #4 of 31 (624 views)
Shortcut
I had never noticed [In reply to] Can't Post

that the staff looks like it has another staff inside!

I didn't make it sound like the rock would be very intriguing - did I! I still think it would be good though - the pictures you provide show that the crown does light up, and the "light inside his staff" is also used during FOTR (Moria) and ROTK (Pelennor).

Thanks for all this info though DarkJackal, much appreciated!!

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 10 2012, 11:31pm

Post #5 of 31 (621 views)
Shortcut
1:1 scale Sting? [In reply to] Can't Post

Has UC (or anyone else) ever produced a 1:1 scale replica of Sting? The ones I see have all seemed to be scaled to Hobbit-size and, therefore, larger than they would be in real life.

"Darkness beyond blackest pitch, deeper than the deepest night!
King of Darkness, who shines like gold upon the Sea of Chaos.
I call upon thee and swear myself to thee!
Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I possess!"

reags
Rivendell

Apr 11 2012, 1:20am

Post #6 of 31 (651 views)
Shortcut
Joy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Exciting news, wouldn't mind checking out Orcist!

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

Derisedegami
The Shire

Apr 12 2012, 3:54am

Post #7 of 31 (595 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting this information! I'm very happy to know that United Cutlery will be working on these. I've yet to obtain Glamdring, and will definitely pick up Orcrist, should they produce it (Can't see why not).

Chopsta123
Gondor

Apr 12 2012, 8:16am

Post #8 of 31 (602 views)
Shortcut
that Dwalyn mace [In reply to] Can't Post

might be my first jump into collecting.
It could serve well to make mashed taters of any persons on the best seats for the Hobbit. Cool

ShireHorse
Rohan

Apr 12 2012, 10:31am

Post #9 of 31 (586 views)
Shortcut
Haven't I read somewhere, [In reply to] Can't Post

possibly on TORn, that Gandalf's staff, if you check out The Hobbit shots and those on LotR, appears to be organically opening out, as if it's alive and growing?

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 12 2012, 10:33am

Post #10 of 31 (645 views)
Shortcut
I've read that too, but can't find it using search / [In reply to] Can't Post

DarkJackal
Rohan

Apr 17 2012, 8:40pm

Post #11 of 31 (568 views)
Shortcut
Blade Center [In reply to] Can't Post

The merchant Blade Center has a page up announcing they will be selling the Hobbit weapons. No other info besides that yet. Frown

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 18 2012, 6:58am

Post #12 of 31 (529 views)
Shortcut
Starts getting exciting now! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for letting us know DarkJackal! It's a shame they couldn't give more information.

I wonder if the bit on a new version of Glamdring is wrong? Why would the one in TH be different from LOTR?

DarkJackal
Rohan

Apr 18 2012, 7:46am

Post #13 of 31 (535 views)
Shortcut
Different packaging perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I don't know if a new package is worth calling it "new".

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 18 2012, 7:52am

Post #14 of 31 (609 views)
Shortcut
No, I'm not sure either [In reply to] Can't Post

United Cutlery still make Glamdring, Sting and Anduril - so bringing out the same sword just with different packaging isn't "new" at all! Crazy

Perhaps this is evidence that Glamdring will be found in the Trolls hoard? Maybe Sting, Orcrist and Glamdring all get matching inscriptions at the end of the film Tongue Who knows, I think it's likely to be mis-information.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

May 7 2012, 11:35pm

Post #15 of 31 (538 views)
Shortcut
I have not bought any but have investigated the idea and your choice [In reply to] Can't Post

will depend on whether you want a "mere" prop type replica / wall piece or a "real" sword. Choice of material, heat treating, full tang etc. are the key elements.

If one is seeking a museum quality reproduction with carbon steel, heat treatment, sharpened edge etc. there are a few companies that cater to that product.
Stainless steel is not suitable for large blades if one is seeking a "real" functional sword.

However, they may not have a license to create such a sword that is identified as a LOTR / Saul Zantz etc. licensed product.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/...eron-mark-sword.aspx

Two companies I read about that make "real" swords are:

http://www.windlass.com/

http://www.sword-manufacturers-guide.com/...ration-2-swords.html

For general info on steel, how to select etc.:
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/battle-ready-sword.html

Just in case one needs such a weapon for collecting or some apocalypse!

(This post was edited by Eruonen on May 7 2012, 11:35pm)

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

May 7 2012, 11:47pm

Post #16 of 31 (560 views)
Shortcut
Some "real" LOTR swords...1060 Carbon Steel etc. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/anduril.html
Anduril

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/ranger-sword.html
Ranger sword

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

May 8 2012, 9:34am

Post #17 of 31 (511 views)
Shortcut
Carbon steel [In reply to] Can't Post

doesn't make them real swords. There are many companies making what they call battle ready or some such similar description. The other factors of the swords design have to be correct to call them real. That strider sword given as an example in your post is literally twice the weight of a real sword of the same size and comparable historical type. This means the blade geometry and components are far from "real" and the harmonics of the sword will be completly "unreal". The sword is over built, components would be too thick and real functionality is not acheived. Athough the Strider sword is a fantasy blade I have seen swordsmiths recreate it with very similar appearance to the movie sword but weighing half what this example does.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

May 8 2012, 2:20pm

Post #18 of 31 (539 views)
Shortcut
As the full review states: [In reply to] Can't Post

"PROS
Extremely strong and well tempered blade
Capable of delivering devestatingly powerful blows
Faithful, fully functional replica of Striders Ranger Sword

CONS
VERY heavy - good for building muscle - but hard to sustain use due to its significant bulk
Tang may bend slightly during heavy useage (however, historical swords were often made the same way, and it is better for the tang to bend than break!)"

Real in the sense that it is made for actual striking out of appropriate carbon steel etc. It is probably too heavy but the product is "real" vs wall display.
The point was to point out that functional swords are manufactured vs show pieces.

The Heron Blade sword looks quite beautiful.
http://www.museumreplicas.com/...px?affiliateID=10058

You can buy latex prop swords, or stainless steel show pieces or "real" swords. Of course, buyer beware.

If I wanted a musket display I would buy a real musket, not a non-firing display piece.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on May 8 2012, 2:27pm)

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

May 8 2012, 10:53pm

Post #19 of 31 (530 views)
Shortcut
It's still not real though. [In reply to] Can't Post

If pure wall hangers are under built, this thing is overbuilt and has as much in common with a sharpened crow bar as it does with a real sword. I particulalry dislike the claim of fully functional as there are many aspects that make a sword fully functional.

So the only point I was making is that people should not consider this a real sword any more than they should consider any other steel cutting implement that is not a sword, a real sword. If anyone was to buy this and then be pleased with themselves thinking "wow so this is what a real sword is like" they would unfortunately be wrong and would not have had the genuine pleasure of handling a real sword. All this thing is, is something that is durable in some respects, sharp and dressed up to resemble a sword in the most basic of appearances.

I have no agenda against you, I am only trying to dispel common myths and misinformation about swords so people can get a chance to find out the truth themselves as the subject is very extensive and interesting.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on May 8 2012, 10:56pm)

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

May 9 2012, 2:05pm

Post #20 of 31 (505 views)
Shortcut
This was just one example, if you look, all of them have rating info [In reply to] Can't Post

for various design qualities. Some are better than others.
Real does not mean ideal. But will it function, yes. Others, like the Heron Blade appear more to your points about weight etc. What are your thoughts on that particular sword?

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

May 9 2012, 3:35pm

Post #21 of 31 (483 views)
Shortcut
An informative article on the subject - display vs functional [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/fantasy-swords.html

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/fantasy-swords.html

The swords are tested for cutting, durability etc.
Hanwei Dark Sentinel
2lbs 3oz

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/dark-sentinel.html

Another LOTR inspired sword..Anduril

However, like the Ranger sword it is heavy but it feels ligher per the review:

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/anduril.html

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

May 9 2012, 4:24pm

Post #22 of 31 (525 views)
Shortcut
An expert on Medieval blades etc. the late Ewart Oakeshott [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm

What did Historical Swords Weigh?

By J. Clements

" "Medieval Swords are neither unwieldably heavy nor all alike - the average weight of any one of normal size is between 2.5 lb. and 3.5 lbs. Even the big hand-and-a-half 'war' swords rarely weigh more than 4.5 lbs."

Good reference values. Now, one could say that humans are larger in build on average so there would be an expected increase in weapon weight over time as well. Obviously, ethnic differences of build are a factor as well. Anyone who has looked at museum collections of weapons will note the rather small suits of armor and sword grips. Of course, the nobles and knights tended to be better fed and closer to expected modern build not always. If pro athletes equal the knights of today, I think a 6.5.270 lb man can handle a 5 lb sword with ease. However, the average man of 5.10.170 lbs.....no.

The lighter the better still is the best rule.

"..."never overlay thy selfe with a heavy weapon, for nimblenesse of bodie, and nimblenesse of weapon are two chief helpes for thy advantage" - Joseph Swetnam, The Schoole of the Noble and Worthy Science of Defence, 1617"

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

May 10 2012, 9:33am

Post #23 of 31 (498 views)
Shortcut
Oakeshott [In reply to] Can't Post

is the most recognised modern scholar that the sword community owe the most to. The more you read of his work the better.

Size & weight of people...the bigger modern man with a historically accurate longsword will beat the same version of himself wielding some 6 pound piece of junk.

There are some functional historical swords aroud the 5 pound mark but they are much more massive in size than the Strider & Anduril replicas you referenced. Don't take what I say as an absolute, weight is only one factor but is reasonable to assume that somwthing twice the weight of a comparable historical sword has been made just plain wrong.

The website you referenced highlighting decorative versus functional was not great. Have a look at myarmoury.com instead.

The Heron sword may be ok in some respects, I honestly can't tell but if their reference to the Heron Mark was meant to be an actual historic reference, I would seriously dispute any claim of material and workmanship that resulted in a blade that did not need sharpening and could never break. I know they are not saying this about their swords but referencing such a thing that seems historically implausible is not a good way to build credibility.

If you want to look at real swords visit the sites of Albion Swords, Arms & Armour or Christian Fletcher. Christian is a cutler and when the LOTR movies came out he collaborated with a sword maker called Angus Trim to make real swords similar to Striders and Boromirs swords.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on May 10 2012, 9:35am)

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

May 10 2012, 10:09am

Post #24 of 31 (466 views)
Shortcut
Further to my last post [In reply to] Can't Post

it does look like the Heron Mark claim is a fantasy reference so that is fair enough and in general the site does acknowledge the difficulty with the constraints of fantasy designs in the real world so full credit to them. Although distinguishing between decorative and functional they seem to say in an indirect way that the functional fantasy swords are not meant to be considered real swords but the nearest facsimilie given certain constraints. But I guess my only gripe is when this line is blurred and not made clear. When claims are made of fully functional or real certain caveats need to be applied in many instances and a failure to recognise the difference as an example between the Christian Fletcher tribute to Stridwrs sword and the one referenced on the SBG site will leave consumers short changed and still in the dark about what to expect from a real sword. One of the pleasures this past time has given me is seeing numerous friends and associates pick up my war sword that is about 4 feet long and to a person see their entire face light up because they can't believe how well it handles and simply seems to float in the hand.

You simply don't get that with over built swords.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 10 2012, 1:45pm

Post #25 of 31 (480 views)
Shortcut
What was the weight of the UC version? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm having trouble finding the weight of the United Cutlery version of Strider's Ranger Sword. I believe that it was closer to the historical ideal, though. The weapon would be classified as a hand-and-a-half or bastard sword.

"Darkness beyond blackest pitch, deeper than the deepest night!
King of Darkness, who shines like gold upon the Sea of Chaos.
I call upon thee and swear myself to thee!
Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I possess!"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.