Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
We're having a birthday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 30 2007, 12:57pm

Post #1 of 39 (306 views)
Shortcut
We're having a birthday! Can't Post

'You had better come and live here, Frodo my lad, and then we can celebrate our birthday-parties comfortably together.' Since Magpie and I share a birthday, as well as several other things like a love of folk dancing and a similar hairstyle and clothing style, we decided it was silly to have two birthday threads today: let's have joint party! We will each post our mathoms in this thread, and you can reply to both together if you like. Come on in to our party!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 30 2007, 1:00pm

Post #2 of 39 (264 views)
Shortcut
My mathom, such as it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, my mathom isn't quite turning out how I had planned, but I do have a backup plan. I spent the day yesterday re-rendering the complete (slightly edited) video of the “Conspiracy Unmasked” video in a smaller size so I could share it with you. It's now 230 megs instead of 9 gigs (!), with a screen the size of a postage stamp but all the sound. I uploaded it to megaupload.com, but I've yet to be able to successfully download it, so I don't think it works. The first time they told me I'd violated the terms of agreement and deleted it, so I uploaded it again. I also uploaded the clip I entitled “Squeee”, that you can see on the photobucket album. (It's the one where Altaira and BG open up the Map and she goes squeeee. I seem to be having trouble with that link too this morning. I'll try to get it up as soon as I can. As my colleague says, 'you can't say "technology" without saying "___ing technology" :-/) That one seems to work OK, but only a few people a day can download it. If you want to try, here are the URLs. You'll have to type them in omitting the spaces.

“Conspiracy Unmasked”

w w w . m e g a u p l o a d . c o m / ? d = L 4 D M E N Q 0

“Squeee”

w w w . m e g a u p l o a d . c o m / ? d = H 6 5 A H Q G 6

I don't know if I can fix the problem with the first one. Uncle Baggins says the clips I put on photobucket are the best parts anyway; he thought the rest was kind of boring.

In the meantime, I'm going to my backup plan and burning a bunch of DVDs. I'm planning to send copies to the people who were there, and to gramma, and a few other people I've e-mailed. Entmaiden said she could make copies for the people who are planning to come to her mini-moot in November. If anyone else would like one, please send me a PM with a mailing address where I can send it. I'll ask you to help me out with the expense by poking three dollar bills into an envelope and sending them to me after you get your DVD. If a whole lot of you reply, it may take a while, but I really want to share this with anyone who wishes they could have been there, because I wish you could have too.

And as a small mathom, here's a recent photo of the spot that Uncle Baggins and I think of as Lothlorien. It's a place called Boulder Brook in Rocky Mountain National Park.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Sep 30 2007, 1:09pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 30 2007, 1:20pm

Post #3 of 39 (196 views)
Shortcut
OK, here's that Photobucket link again [In reply to] Can't Post

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd62/AuntDoraBaggins/A%20conspiracy%20unmasked/

The password, as you'll recall, was the date we sprang the Conspiracy on Altaira and BG, the month spelled out followed by the day, with no spaces between. (For example, if it were today, it would be "September30". But use the date of the Surprise. If you can't get in, I've exceeded my bandwidth limit, so try again later.)

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Sep 30 2007, 1:22pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 30 2007, 1:33pm

Post #4 of 39 (224 views)
Shortcut
Magpie's Mathom [In reply to] Can't Post

first, let me say I'm delighted to share my birthday with Aunt Dora. Auntie, I hope you have a wonderful day. If you have cake, enjoy it on my behalf. We're having apples and caramel dip in an effort to minimize the saturated fat intake. Ach... aging.

Five years ago I rediscovered Tolkien and it was a profound experience in more ways than I can count. It precipitated me to start my own adventure and, at the age of 50, I prepared to leave the familiarity of my existence and go back to school. Now, five years in on my adventure, I’ve found myself in a spot I never would have guessed I’d be in but feels mostly right.

So, that September - five years back - and this one feel like bookends to a segment of my life that was exciting, rewarding, expanding and exhausting. It is with pleasure that I share my Tolkien mathom with you, my friends in Tolkien.

Last year was for me and many of my friends, “Anno Horribilis”. There’s just no other way to put it. Being out of work (which was part of my Anno Horribilis), I set about creating diversions for a dear friend facing a health/life crises. I thought, when things get hard, maybe being able to pull out a snippet of Tolkien would soothe her soul or divert her from the reality of the moment. I created a set of ‘cards’ with quotes from Tolkien’s writings. Amusing, touching, stirring... all the bits of Tolkien that I love - paired with images. I made them the size of collectible cards like Magic and Decipher so they would fit in those sorts of boxes. It was a project I really loved working on and today I share them with you.

I’ve prepared two formats of the cards. One is a set of web quality images. The link below will take you to the first page. There are four images on a page and an arrow at the bottom that will take you through the progressive pages. You can right click and image and save... if you can think of anything to do with these.

The other format is print quality. At the bottom of each page is a link to a pdf of print quality images. The pdf has one page (with the four images) and another page of instructions on how to print/fold/cut.

HERE THEY ARE

I hope you enjoy them.

Before I sign off, I have to acknowledge two magpie shiny moments. I love when I stumble across connections or new information. Even the smallest of things is a delight to a magpie.

The first was a shiny new factoid. I needed a new card to round out the pages and was looking for an image to go with a passage regarding Bregalad. I searched for images of rowan trees without much success and then switch to the alternate name for rowan, mountain ash. I landed on this page where the first paragraph read,

If I had to chose one tree on Dartmoor as a symbol for the moor it would be the brave little Mountain Ash or as it is called by the moorfolk: 'Quickbeam'.

Whoah... I didn’t realize that Quickbeam was a name for rowan trees... the trees that Bregalad called ‘his friends’. I love Tolkien.

Next, a shiny connection came as I searched out the quote I wanted. I had the book in front of me but typing out quotes is so tiring. I have to balance the book on my lap and try to hold it open and I never type well if I’m not looking at the screen so I’m glancing back and forth between book and screen. I have digital copies of the book but then I must search through the long file to find what I want. I’ve discovered that, if I want a quote from the books, then someone else probably wanted it too. I type in a string of 3-5 words in quotes and google it and almost always get text I can swipe and paste. When I did that for Bregalad’s text, only three sites came up. I clicked on the first links and found myself at Gramma’s TIME site. Ha! It’s a small world sometimes.

And... there’s one last shiny, magpie connection at the end of all the quote card pages.

Take care all.
Magpie

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 30 2007, 1:51pm

Post #5 of 39 (188 views)
Shortcut
Wow, Magpie, what a cornucopia! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't have time to linger, so I just scrolled through quickly, but I'll definitely come back and savor these. I especially liked some of the ones you did that had images that weren't directly taken from the Tolkien story, but which fit perfectly, like the music score, and the dancing bears. And I loved seeing the dear old Hildebrandts' Goldberry. That's always been one of my favorite pictures.

I'm so glad your horrible year is over. Here's to new beginnings and bright dawns. And happy birthday to you, dear friend! I hope it's wonderful. I'm planning to go to church and then have a family gathering at my parents' house. Last night Uncle Baggins took me on a surprise date to a dinner theater that was putting on "The Wizard of Oz". That's always been my favorite story, even above Tolkien. When the radiant young actress sang "Over the Rainbow" I found myself weeping, and not sure why. There's a lot of nostalgia in that song, I guess, since it's been my favorite since I was four.

Anyway, thanks again for your beautiful, beautiful cards, and for your shiny magpie treasures that you share with us so often. I loved the factoid you found about Quickbeam. Unexpected connections are, for me, the essence of religious experience. (That's why math seems like a religious undertaking sometimes, because it can be full of moments like that.)

Have a beautiful birthday filled with wonderful things!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 30 2007, 4:02pm

Post #6 of 39 (177 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday to you both! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you both for the lovely, lovely mathoms. Somewhere the good Professor must be smiling, to sense what a wonderful community the love of his words has created.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"

Morwen
Rohan

Sep 30 2007, 5:22pm

Post #7 of 39 (173 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Double mathoms! [In reply to] Can't Post

And very excellent mathoms at that. Magpie, those cards are amazing, and Aunt Dora, thank you so much for preserving those once in a lifetime moments for us.

I wish for a magnificent birthday for both of you.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've heard your anguish, I've heard your hearts cry out
We are tired, we are weary, but we aren't worn out
Set down your chains, until only faith remains
Set down your chains--Jewel

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30 2007, 5:37pm

Post #8 of 39 (174 views)
Shortcut
Lovely mathoms from both of you [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiest of Birthdays, too.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 30 2007, 6:22pm

Post #9 of 39 (167 views)
Shortcut
Happiest of birthdays to you both! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sharing a birthday makes you Astral Twins!

What lovely gifts from both of you to us! Thanks for reposting how to access the surprise party goodies, as I had trouble getting into it before. And the magpie cards are wonderful -- you have great style. A lot of love and work went into both efforts -- so much to enjoy, thank you!

Double portions of ice cream to you both and thanks for all you contribute around here everyday as well. Here's to a grand year ahead for both of you!

Weaver

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30 2007, 6:32pm

Post #10 of 39 (177 views)
Shortcut
Many Happy Returns of your Birthdays! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, a two-for-all! Laugh

I must admit, I'm one of those who has been hogging the bandwidth on the Conspiracy photobucket site - I've been having such a blast, playing those clips in order of occurrance! Thank you soooo much for taking those, Aunt Dora, you and Uncle Baggins; what a delight it's been to hear Altaira "squee" so much! And it's so sweet of you to make up the DVDs of that momentous occasion Heart!

Ah, Lothlórien in the Fall, golden with the Silverlode flowing through it: what a restful picture, thank you!

I'm still reeling from the revelation that the Dartmoor folk call the Rowan, "Quickbeam"! I've no doubt the Professor knew this, and chuckled greatly at the double meaning of "quick", and the perfect use it could be put to. And I noticed this at the end of that article: "There is also a tradition that anybody who carries a walking stick made from Quickbeam will never get lost" - the source idea for lebethron, maybe?

May this year make up for the "horribleness" of the last year, Magpie! When things are going badly, it does help keep one's spirits up by doing something nice for others. The cards are clever! I think the one that impresses me the most is the Song of the Ainur card - and the most poignant is Sam's Star.

Dis chord and dat chord, and chords of harmony - yes, life is grand!

Thank you both!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30 2007, 6:32pm

Post #11 of 39 (170 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthdays! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have lovely days, both.

Fox Glacier

IMG_1244

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2007, 6:38pm

Post #12 of 39 (165 views)
Shortcut
Happiest of Birthdays to you both! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Dawn
Bree

Sep 30 2007, 8:22pm

Post #13 of 39 (169 views)
Shortcut
Happy happy joy joy... [In reply to] Can't Post

Opps, wrong song.

Another fine product
of a dysfunctional family.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30 2007, 8:47pm

Post #14 of 39 (168 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday to you both! [In reply to] Can't Post

And what lovely mathoms.

May we share many more birthday celebrations.

Promises to Keep: a novel set in 19th Century New Zealand.

The Passing of Mistress Rose

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 30 2007, 9:09pm

Post #15 of 39 (166 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday to you both!! [In reply to] Can't Post

And many happy returns.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope. Nothing which is true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history; therefore we must be saved by faith. Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore we must be saved by love."
~~~Reinhold Niebuhr

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 30 2007, 10:50pm

Post #16 of 39 (170 views)
Shortcut
ooo!! Happy Birthday!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

and *geeky hand-clapping* WOW! Thank you so much!

I can't peek at the links until I get to work tomorrow, but what I've seen so far has my gaping-smiling-tearing-laughing all at the same time. I thought I was going to Implode!!! :D

Happy Birthday, m'dear! I hope you've had a GLORIOUS, ice cream-packed day!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

Celandine Goodbody
The Shire

Sep 30 2007, 11:07pm

Post #17 of 39 (163 views)
Shortcut
Nothing Original: Happy Birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Dear Aunt Dora!

I hope you are having a wonderful day, surrounded by family, friends, and TORn sibs! You are a lovely, wonderful person and deserve all the best for being such a good friend over all these many, many years and millions of words, no doubt, that have passed between us.

I mean, where would I be without you? Well, not here anyway--thanks too for all the joy I have experienced by your re-introducing me to LOTR, and TORn and all the other places I have since gone (some strange but always fun, hehe).

*Hoists a huge glass of "whatever"* HAPPY DAY! HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Cel

The Quest would have been in vain, even at the bitter end. So let us forgive him!

But I will not have him slain. It is useless to meet revenge with revenge: it will heal nothing.

---Frodo Baggins

Yum
Quite an inspiration, our Frodo.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30 2007, 11:13pm

Post #18 of 39 (165 views)
Shortcut
It works! [In reply to] Can't Post

The megaupload version works! It took about 2 hours to download to my Mac, but I've been watching it, and am nearing the end of it as I type. Yeah, you're all giggling like a bunch of 12-year-olds! Laugh It's tiny, but marvelous, with all the in-between sections in there.

This is such a major "Squeee!"! {{Hugs}}, Aunt Dora and Uncle Baggins - and everyone involved, and Altaira and BG especially!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Wynnie
Rohan

Sep 30 2007, 11:35pm

Post #19 of 39 (152 views)
Shortcut
Wishing you both a wonderful day! / [In reply to] Can't Post

There he lay, a vast red-golden dragon, fast asleep; a thrumming came from his jaws and nostrils, and wisps of smoke, but his fires were low in slumber. Beneath him, under all his limbs and his huge coiled tail, and about him on all sides stretching away across the unseen floors, lay countless piles of precious things, gold wrought and unwrought, gems and jewels, and silver red-stained in the ruddy light.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 30 2007, 11:36pm

Post #20 of 39 (165 views)
Shortcut
*applause* Happy Birthday... and wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

What an incredible idea to make cards of encouragement with Tolkien's words and pics. These are incredible! I know the year's been hard for you... but you have used your time in such an amazingly soul-nurturing way... not just for your friends, but for yourself and for all of us you're sharing it with. I'm going to use these and keep them close. Place them throughout my beat-up copy of The Lord of the Rings and treasure them.

Happy Birthday, m'dear... and this is sorbet, so you can eat all you want :)

*massive hugs*

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 1 2007, 12:52am

Post #21 of 39 (162 views)
Shortcut
Really? *faints* [In reply to] Can't Post

Whoop! I'm getting ready to mail your DVD out; I made several copies today. Tomorrow I'll buy mailer envelopes and address them, and probably put them in the mail Tuesday.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 1 2007, 12:58am

Post #22 of 39 (171 views)
Shortcut
As Bilbo said on *his* 51st birthday: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Thag you very buch!" (I don't really have a cold, just couldn't resist.)

And a special thank you to Magpie for having the lovely, generous idea of celebrating together. "Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm having a birthday the same day as you!"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 1 2007, 2:31am

Post #23 of 39 (154 views)
Shortcut
*waves* Hi, CG! We just had fireworks at our house. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never done that on my birthday before. Our son brought up a "big bachuza" (as our daughter called big fireworks when she was little) and set it off on our driveway. Very hobbity!

Thanks for your sweet thoughts, and for all those millions of words :-)

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2007, 3:34am

Post #24 of 39 (150 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday Aunt Dora and Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora, your photo took my breath away. Magpie, I was overwhelmed by your shiny treasures! Thank you both for sharing, and have a great day! BTW, it's my brother's birthday too, but he didn't send me a single thing.Laugh

Where's Frodo?

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 1 2007, 5:46am

Post #25 of 39 (156 views)
Shortcut
Happy, happy birthday, ladies! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's no surprise to me that two such outstanding people share a birthday. Smile What a great concept to post mathoms together. They're amazing! The videos are such fun to watch and Magpie, your cards are so creative.

I hope you both had very, very special birthdays! LaughSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.