The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Who do you think could defeat Superman?

Longbottom Leaf
Lorien

Apr 10 2012, 12:55am

Post #1 of 9 (837 views)
Shortcut
Who do you think could defeat Superman? Can't Post

And how? This is a curious subject for me because I had always believed that he could take down any other superhero/villain, Jedi/Sith, wizard etc. Yet I had a friend that would not budge on his stance that Batman would defeat Superman for reasons that escape me at the moment. I did not agree with him but I remember his points were interesting and I'm interested in hearing others.

The best weed in the southfarthing!

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 10 2012, 6:56am

Post #2 of 9 (442 views)
Shortcut
Me [In reply to] Can't Post

I could do it - I'm really Desperate Dan in disguise Sly

If that fails, I'd get Morgoth. He would do the job.

GothmogTheBalrog
Rivendell

Apr 10 2012, 9:29pm

Post #3 of 9 (449 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

That Gandalf could defeat him.

"who now has the power to stand against Isengard and Mordor? Who can stand against the might of Sauron and Saruman, and the union of the Two Towers?"
-Saruman

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 11 2012, 7:46pm

Post #4 of 9 (413 views)
Shortcut
Well, Superman's power levels have varied from one version to another... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Superman of the current DCU is probably far weaker than the pre-Crisis Superman of the 1970s and '80s. But, if we mean Superman at the very height of his powers, very few fictional characters could defeat him in fair combat. Batman could only manage through trickery and the use of kryptonite. Someone on the order of Son Goku of the Dragonball Universe in Super Saiyan-mode could outmatch Kal-El, but those characters are ridiculously over-the-top (not that Kal isn't as well).

Superman is vulnerable to magic, so the One Ring could corrupt him. Of course, that would probably just make him a super-powerful god-ruler, not a lackey of Sauron's.

Take away Superman's "no kill" rule and Batman is street pizza. Kal-El could just snipe him from orbit with his heat vision alone.

"Darkness beyond blackest pitch, deeper than the deepest night!
King of Darkness, who shines like gold upon the Sea of Chaos.
I call upon thee and swear myself to thee!
Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I possess!"

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 11 2012, 7:50pm)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Apr 14 2012, 3:31am

Post #5 of 9 (389 views)
Shortcut
His sense of justice and fair play [In reply to] Can't Post

makes him susceptible to treason and treachery. (It's a blind spot... he believes the best in everyone and that there is hope for redemption -- or at least the Superman of my memory did/does) So it is conceivable that anyone would be able to take him down if they were deceitful.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2012, 2:33am

Post #6 of 9 (426 views)
Shortcut
Captain Carrot [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't even need his Amazing Zoo Crew.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

Darkstone
Immortal

May 3 2012, 1:28pm

Post #7 of 9 (344 views)
Shortcut
Istari or Dwarves. [In reply to] Can't Post

Istari because Supey is vulnerable to magic.

Dwarves because I'm sure those ultra-skilled miners could find and dig up a rainbow of kryptonite in no time.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on May 3 2012, 1:29pm)

Finwe
Lorien

May 18 2012, 11:01pm

Post #8 of 9 (524 views)
Shortcut
Luthien [In reply to] Can't Post

She put Morgoth to in a trance, I'm sure she could do the same to Superman. Or maybe Feanor could craft a kryptonite silmaril.

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when Fëanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jan 7 2014, 5:04pm

Post #9 of 9 (223 views)
Shortcut
tulkas [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.