Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
"A Day of Running" Happy Easter from Samwise...

santee116

Apr 9 2012, 3:55am

Post #1 of 3 (561 views)
Shortcut
"A Day of Running" Happy Easter from Samwise... Can't Post

My priest (a huge LOTR fan) worked Samwise Gangee into a recent Easter Sermon. (Skip to 9:54 for the impatient)

Happy Easter and God Bless:

http://www.holycomforter.net/audio/Sermon%20Barr%2004-24-11.mp3

(This post was edited by santee116 on Apr 9 2012, 3:57am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 9 2012, 12:06pm

Post #2 of 3 (412 views)
Shortcut
Don't you just love it [In reply to] Can't Post

when religious leaders who are fellow geeks work Tolkien into their sermons! That's a perfect example to use for Easter: the eucatastrophe.

My pastor once worked Sam's "If I take another step..." from the movies into a sermon. Later she confessed to me that she got a kick out of seeing who in the congregation had a "recognition reaction"! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Apr 10 2012, 1:38am

Post #3 of 3 (485 views)
Shortcut
One of my earliest memories of LOTR... [In reply to] Can't Post

long before I had any idea what a hobbit was or a Samwise or a Frodo, my pastor used LOTR as a sermon illustration. I was probably 7 or eight at the time.

He talked about Gandalf "dying" sacrificially, and some guy named Frodo (weird name) doing something that would probably lead to his death, and his servant Sam trying to follow his master even though he couldn't swim (I assumed he drowned).

Not understanding most of this, I came to the conclusion that Lord of the Rings was a story in which mostly everyone died.

Little did I know that years later, I would be a die-hard fan....

Lord Sméagol? Gollum the Great? The Gollum! Eat fish every day, three times a day; fresh from the sea. Most Precious Gollum!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.