Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TheOneRing.net headed for embed on Hobbit set

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 6 2012, 11:08pm

Post #1 of 20 (2112 views)
Shortcut
TheOneRing.net headed for embed on Hobbit set Can't Post

TheOneRing.net is pleased to announce it is headed to an embedded set visit in Wellington, New Zealand during the filming of "The Hobbit: There And Back Again,". The site and writer Larry D. Curtis accepted the invitation from Warner Bros. and Wingnut Films. The production is currently filming the second of the two films in studio, so all of the content from the visit will reach audiences in 2013, after this year's release (December 14) of the first of the pair of films, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey."

The films are a two-part adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," celebrating its 75th year of publication in 2012. Peter Jackson is directing the films after helming a three-part adaptation of Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings," book that appeared in print 17 years after "The Hobbit." Jackson scripted the films with his writing team of Phillipa Boyens and Fran Walsh with the addition of one-time-director Guillermo del Toro. Fans will remember the many agonizing delays before the film's start that eventually forced del Toro to bow out.

Curtis, reporting from the film set, is part of TORn's Senior Staff, a writer and photographer known to the TORn community at MrCere. He has contributed to TheOneRing.net for more than a decade in a variety of roles. In December he visited and toured New Zealand including an exclusive report from the Hobbiton Movie Set after being granted permission to publish impressions and photos from the site, rebuilt for "The Hobbit." The location can be visited as a fully dressed film set accessible to by tour. The first block of filming on "The Hobbit," included production from the site, set on a working livestock farm near Matamata, New Zealand.

TheOneRing.net is a not-for-profit website that serves as the hub for Tolkien communities online as well as the physical world. It was founded in 1999 by Erica Challis (Tehanu) in New Zealand, Canadian Mike Regina (Xoanon) and Wiliam Thomas (Corvar) and Chris Pirrotta (Calisuri) from the U.S.. The foursome's website quickly vaulted to fame in an internet age when the relationship between fans and films and movie studios was rapidly evolving. The all-volunteer staff manages the site that includes a live chat room, message boards, news updates about all things related to Tolkien and the fan community world wide.

TORn will make a series of convention appearances including the San Diego Comic-Con, DragonCon in Atlanta and the New York Comic-Con. TheOneRing also used the internet to organize grass-roots fan parties around the world for the premiere of the LOTR films and anticipates doing so again. We also have a Wellington, New Zealand world premiere party planned with Red Carpet Tours and an Oscar Party set in Los Angeles in February.

TheOneRing.net and MrCere wish to thanks Warner Bros. and Wingnut for the invitation, including many individuals inside each organization, and for fans worldwide for their support. While only one representative can serve to communicate the stories and images from the set, we feel strongly that an invite to a fan site is a compliment to the work of many staffers and the whole of the fan community.

Follow us at Facebook and Twitter. Curtis will not be Tweeting from the set, but will be living and relating experiences in Wellington, New Zealand. He tweets from @MrLDC. And, hang on tight!

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 7 2012, 7:00am

Post #2 of 20 (817 views)
Shortcut
How great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have a great time MrCere - I am immensely jealous. Look forward to a news/snippets you can give us Smile

DarkJackal
Rohan

Apr 7 2012, 11:58am

Post #3 of 20 (704 views)
Shortcut
Magnificent news [In reply to] Can't Post

Now we're talking! Congrats to Mr. Curtis!

Nightingale
Rohan

Apr 7 2012, 2:09pm

Post #4 of 20 (720 views)
Shortcut
This is so exciting [In reply to] Can't Post

and what a compliment to the staff and community of ToRn! Smile
Have a wonderful time MrCere.

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 7 2012, 8:11pm

Post #5 of 20 (626 views)
Shortcut
I can't think of a better person [In reply to] Can't Post

to be reporting from the set. Congrats, MrC!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

mulubinba
Rivendell

Apr 7 2012, 9:59pm

Post #6 of 20 (665 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with everyone above. Thos is great news - congratulations Mr Cere!

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Apr 7 2012, 10:23pm

Post #7 of 20 (630 views)
Shortcut
Excellent news! Congrats! should be a fascinating experience. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Apr 7 2012, 11:14pm

Post #8 of 20 (699 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved the LotR reporting, and this should be just as good. And, on top of that, we'll probably get the reports before Quint posts his others...(just kidding, Quint, we know you've been busy Tongue)

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

ceppault
Bree

Apr 8 2012, 1:12am

Post #9 of 20 (679 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to reading about it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Should we watch for a cameo appearance? Not that we would even know about it till much later from now.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 8 2012, 3:31am

Post #10 of 20 (684 views)
Shortcut
Embedded? Like war, covering film productions is hell! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't think of a better person for the job. Your friends are with you Mr Cere.

Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 8 2012, 7:57am

Post #11 of 20 (713 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations TORn - looking forward to the reports! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Oden
Rivendell

Apr 8 2012, 8:36pm

Post #12 of 20 (557 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though we might not get specifics on what is being filmed for awhile, I do hope there are some items he will be able to share.

It is great to have TORn and the fans recognized like this.

Congratulations to Larry and TORn! Can't wait to see/hear more.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Apr 9 2012, 12:42am

Post #13 of 20 (498 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Having moral support is worth quite a lot more than you realize. Can't overstate that.

You aren't the first to associate war with being embedded. The term is broader than that, but that is the most common use.

So, for the record:

Dictionary.com says:

1. to fix into a surrounding mass: to embed stones in cement. 2. to surround tightly or firmly; envelop or enclose: Thick cotton padding embedded the precious vase in its box. 3. to incorporate or contain as an essential part or characteristic: A love of color is embedded in all of her paintings. Evil

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 9 2012, 12:45am

Post #14 of 20 (536 views)
Shortcut
would you be willing to elaborate on 'embed' in terms of what you are doing? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was trying to get some links down into the TORn History wiki and immediately wished I had a good definition for 'embed'. When I looked it up I found 'embedded journalism' and it was all about war.

I would love to get a better definition for this purpose. The ones you provide are specific enough for this project.

thanks, MrCere.

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 9 2012, 12:53am

Post #15 of 20 (521 views)
Shortcut
That's so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats, Larry! I'm so excited for you and I am really looking forward to reading your reports when they're released! What a great opportunity. Cool

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Apr 9 2012, 12:54am)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 9 2012, 6:39am

Post #16 of 20 (603 views)
Shortcut
Can't think of a more deserving guy on TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have a blast Larry, and I have no idea how I'm gonna wait until 2013 to read about your time down there Cool

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Apr 9 2012, 1:15pm

Post #17 of 20 (521 views)
Shortcut
WOW lucky lucky people :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

The Lord of the Hams:

There is only one lord of the ham...and he does not share ham

If this is indeed the ham of the council, Hamdor will fry it done.

This is no rabble of mindless porks, these are Hamak-Hai: their steak is thick, and their bacon broad

(courtesy of moreham and HamTheEast)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 9 2012, 11:55pm

Post #18 of 20 (466 views)
Shortcut
Well, better from Mr Cere [In reply to] Can't Post

than from me... but it seems the term implies that he will have unfettered access but also that there are rules governing what he can say and when he can say it -- most likely to preserve whatever marketing strategy WB has worked up. Nobody wants a tell-all, behind-the-scenes expose (who was seen coming out of who's trailer, speculations about baby bumps, and so on...); at the same time however, we can expect to be treated to info that is privileged.

As well, embedded journalists know how to stay out of the way of the action... how not to make the story about themselves. There's a lot of trust required in such a relationship.

Good judgement is probably the main requirement for the gig. This, along with having a knack for insightful understatement, solid writing skills and zero tendency towards pretentiousness are what make Mr C an excellent choice for the assignment.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Apr 10 2012, 5:06am

Post #19 of 20 (516 views)
Shortcut
Congrats [In reply to] Can't Post

And well-deserved!

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Apr 10 2012, 9:04pm

Post #20 of 20 (1029 views)
Shortcut
great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking forward to new reports and news!

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.