Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
The Hobbit Merchandise

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 28 2012, 8:05am

Post #1 of 21 (860 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Merchandise Can't Post

In all my eagerness for news on Hobbit merchandise, I took it upon myself to contact a few sellers on whether they would be selling new Hobbit merchandise, and whether they would be able to tell me any details (my emails were more towards swords and other type of collectibles, rather than toys, figures and games which we have already had lots of new on).

Firstly, Royal Selangor said that they had no future plans for anymore LOTR or Hobbit merchandise. I was a little disappointed by that reply since I think the collectibles they make are fantastic. A lot of their LOTR stuff is also discontinued, so the price for their collectibles is through the roof. You never know though, they may come up with some plans in the future.

I also contacted a number of online stores/websites that I had previously bought LOTR collectibles/merchandise from. They all replied in a similar manner, saying that they will be selling new merchandise this year and the next, but were unable to give me further information of details (either because they were yet not sure, or unable to disclose that information).

Interestingly, there are plans for new swords to be released this year and next year (I am assuming United Cutlery, since the websites I asked only stocked UC swords). One website kindly replied saying that a new version of Sting will be released this year!

I am awaiting a couple more replies, but will get back to anyone interested. Smile

imin
Valinor

Mar 28 2012, 12:11pm

Post #2 of 21 (475 views)
Shortcut
This is very interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a bit of Royal Selangor collectibles as you know and was thinking they would be making more to profit on the hype of the movies. Doesnt make sense really unless they feel they have brought out as many as possible. I am kind of happy and sad at the same time about it. Happy as it could make them more expensive which is better if i decide to ever sell them, but a little sad as i would have liked a thorin goblet or something, lol.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 28 2012, 12:48pm

Post #3 of 21 (471 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

that they are probably not bringing anything specifically out for the films, because they never have done? They have all there pewter goblets, plates, statues (and everything else) but none are based on the LOTR films, so I assume they don't have anything officially planned? That's my thinking anyway?

imin
Valinor

Mar 28 2012, 1:10pm

Post #4 of 21 (486 views)
Shortcut
Yeah you are right [In reply to] Can't Post

i dont know how i forgot about that but yeah its all done by an austrailian artist. cant remember his name right now but he has done them all in the past. Remarkable likeness between his idea of what gimli the dwarf should look like and how gimli in the movie is shown. Just shows everyone knows dwarves should have long beards, lol.

They could make a bilbo one though, although i guess they will say they have made the bilbo and smaug statue which is fair enough.

A new version of sting that could be very interesting, would like to see the design of that as from the little we get to see in the trailer and from what i can remember of the replica sting i have on a loft somewhere it looks about the same to me?

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 28 2012, 1:29pm

Post #5 of 21 (462 views)
Shortcut
Sting [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no idea about Sting - the company didn't give me any other information apart from they will be stocking "a new version of Sting". I presume that means without the engravings? As they are using the same design from the trilogy, I think that must just be the "new version". Still, there will be other swords as well Cool

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 28 2012, 2:18pm

Post #6 of 21 (630 views)
Shortcut
Although, if you look at this picture [In reply to] Can't Post

http://lesfuretsdugondor.info/...Freeman-Mirkwood.jpg

I said that the only different would be the engraving, but if you look at the grip/hilt of Sting in the hi-res picture above, then it looks black to me, whereas in LOTR (and the replica) its brown?

Not sure if it is the lighting or not - but if Sting is black then I can understand another version. Question is, why does it change colour?

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 3 2012, 4:40pm

Post #7 of 21 (478 views)
Shortcut
Update [In reply to] Can't Post

I had an email from Noble Collection today. They played their cards extremely close to their chest (as they should, of course). They didn't give anything way apart from that any new merchandise will be put on their website nearer to winter Sly

AlatarielNoldo
Bree

Apr 5 2012, 1:12pm

Post #8 of 21 (444 views)
Shortcut
UC will be coming out with new swords... [In reply to] Can't Post

At least that is what a vendor I bought a High Elven Infantry sword from is telling me. He has contacts at UC and I received an email from him the end of February saying that United Cutlery has secured the license to make stuff for The Hobbit. There isn't a list of what they will have yet, but they are saying something will be available by November this year.

Also, UC is looking at re-releasing LOTR items if there is enough demand for them.

But in Lindon Gil-Galad still maintained his power, and Sauron dared not as yet to pass the Mountains of Ered Luin nor to
assail the Havens.

The Silmarillion: Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 5 2012, 1:53pm

Post #9 of 21 (421 views)
Shortcut
Re-releases! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks there AlatarielNoldo.

It's interesting about the re-releases. At the moment (as far as I am aware) only Sting, Glamdring and Anduril are continuely made. The rest have a limited number. So if they do re-release, that will be great. I've always wanted Aragorn's knife. Will there be a high enough demand though?

AlatarielNoldo
Bree

Apr 5 2012, 2:09pm

Post #10 of 21 (427 views)
Shortcut
Not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully there will be enough demand from fans and collectors to get some of the UC LOTR pieces made available again.

I would love for Legolas' Lothlorien Bow by Master Cutlery to become available again.

But in Lindon Gil-Galad still maintained his power, and Sauron dared not as yet to pass the Mountains of Ered Luin nor to assail the Havens.

[The Silmarillion: Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age]

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 5 2012, 2:12pm

Post #11 of 21 (647 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it will be great to have the chance again [In reply to] Can't Post

Although my bank probably won't agree Wink

I am most looking forward to Orcrist to add to my collection.

AlatarielNoldo
Bree

Jul 25 2012, 11:18am

Post #12 of 21 (355 views)
Shortcut
UC to release info on Hobbit items soon... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got an email from the vendor I've purchased LOTR swords from saying that UC will be releasing info soon, possibly as soon as August 1st, on what Hobbit items they will be producing. The first item(s) should start shipping in October. He also noted that UC will not "flood the market with any of the upcoming Hobbit collectibles as was done previously (i.e. smaller batches of items over longer periods of time)".

Can't wait to see what UC will have. I want to get my hands on a replica of Thranduil's sword, but I have a feeling we won't see that until next year.

But in Lindon Gil-Galad still maintained his power, and Sauron dared not as yet to pass the Mountains of Ered Luin nor to assail the Havens.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 25 2012, 11:26am

Post #13 of 21 (350 views)
Shortcut
Thanks AlatarielNoldo! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is great news - looking forward to whatever the information is!

I wonder why they are selling smaller batches over longer periods of time. My first thought is that this is straight away going to push prices up ...

AlatarielNoldo
Bree

Jul 25 2012, 11:36am

Post #14 of 21 (361 views)
Shortcut
That was my thinking too... [In reply to] Can't Post

smaller lots = higher prices. I'm hoping that the prices won't be too high...and if they are that they offer some sort of installment plan. Wishful thinking? Smile

I've noticed that prices on some LoTR released items have already begun creeping back up.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 25 2012, 11:59am

Post #15 of 21 (343 views)
Shortcut
I think the prices are high enough already [In reply to] Can't Post

A 10% rise in prices I can live with. But if these replicas are closer to the 200 mark than the 100 mark I won't be buying any of them.

It doesn't make any sense to have smaller lots, expect to drive prices up, by making them rarer. Frown

AlatarielNoldo
Bree

Jul 25 2012, 12:34pm

Post #16 of 21 (344 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately, I think they will be :/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the LotR items (weapons) when they were released were around $200 (and more). I'm expecting the new lot for The Hobbit to be priced about the same.

I waited to buy swords from LotR after the movies were done and demand was a down. But, if UC is going to make smaller lots, I'm afraid the prices for The Hobbit items will remain high for some time afterwards. Frown

I'll be sure to pass on information as I get it, which hopefully will be soon!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 25 2012, 12:52pm

Post #17 of 21 (357 views)
Shortcut
Yes, please do :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

If the price is reasonable, I'll pre-order. I wouldn't want to wait and wait, and see the price rise and rise. Smile

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 25 2012, 4:27pm

Post #18 of 21 (385 views)
Shortcut
Please for 4 sure [In reply to] Can't Post

AlatarielNoldo when you get more info do pass it on. Any info and pics would be most welcomed and then we will get something tossed on the FP for everyone to see.

Thank ya :)

AlatarielNoldo
Bree

Jul 31 2012, 1:49pm

Post #19 of 21 (333 views)
Shortcut
UC is re-releasing Legolas' Knives [In reply to] Can't Post

Just got word that UC will be re-releasing Legolas' Knives around October 15th.

Derek at Smith Blades, who I have ordered LOTR weapons from in the past, has been able to pre-order 5. He's selling them at $165 + S&H, which is really reasonable! He can be reached at sales@smithblades.com , for some reason his website is currently down.

Also, should a new thread be started on the UC re-releases and Hobbit releases? Just a thought. I don't post often but would like to share this info as I get it and wasn't sure if new post would be better.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2012, 1:53pm

Post #20 of 21 (330 views)
Shortcut
Yup, this thread is pretty old now [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely need a new one - especially with this new news.

Do you have the link to his website anyway? Smile

AlatarielNoldo
Bree

Jul 31 2012, 1:57pm

Post #21 of 21 (441 views)
Shortcut
Sure do... [In reply to] Can't Post

Derek's website is http://www.smithblades.com/

I'll start a new post with all the info I posted. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.