Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Favorite Narnia film?
Poll: Favorite Narnia film?
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Prince Caspian
Voyage of the Dawn Treader
All of them!
None of them!
I prefer the BBC Narnia Tv Serial!
Never saw them.
View Results (38 votes)

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Apr 4 2012, 4:45pm

Post #1 of 13 (608 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Narnia film? Can't Post

This probably has already been posted and polled before, but oh well. I prefer Prince Caspian. Which one is your favorite?

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 4 2012, 4:54pm

Post #2 of 13 (207 views)
Shortcut
LWW [In reply to] Can't Post

By faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar.

Prince Caspian (in my opinion) is awful. The book is fine. Why pointlessly deviate from it? Voyage was a lot better than Caspian. LWW they just seemed to get. It was well done and a brilliant first film into another brilliant fantasy franchise. Shame they messed up Caspian.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2012, 8:08pm

Post #3 of 13 (160 views)
Shortcut
Never saw them, [In reply to] Can't Post

I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe back in the 4th grade, and I had always had this very bleak and cold vision in reading it. From what I saw of the movie, it looked too vibrant and colorful (namely in the wintery scenes, and moreso in the others), which I had an issue with. Granted, I haven't read it in years (and I would like to again) so maybe my opinion would be different afterwards, but as of now the moves hold no appeal to me.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Apr 4 2012, 10:08pm

Post #4 of 13 (188 views)
Shortcut
BBC [In reply to] Can't Post

The movies had much better special effects, of course, but the BBC version had much more heart. Warwick Davis in a mouse suit may not have looked as much like Reepicheep, but he made me believe.

Of the BBC movies, I think I liked the Silver Chair best, but I love them all.

My main quarrel with the movies was that they just didn't feel like Narnia to me. I got teary-eyed when the wardrobe door opened, and I wanted to love them, but I found myself not engaging emotionally at all. Too much flash and not enough substance. And I really, really missed seeing the scouring (so to speak) in Prince Caspian. It's one of my favorite parts in the books.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Apr 4 2012, 10:13pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 5 2012, 2:37am

Post #5 of 13 (145 views)
Shortcut
"but he made me believe..." That he did! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 5 2012, 3:08am

Post #6 of 13 (173 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on all points. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will say, though, that the BBC Lucy was a real weak point for me. I much preferred the movie Lucy - if only I could have loved the rest of the movie as well. But, like you, I felt the magic was missing. Visually stunning, but the story fell flat.

The Silver Chair is possibly my favorite of the books, and I did enjoy the BBC rendition - especially Tom Baker as Puddleglum. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 5 2012, 6:58am

Post #7 of 13 (133 views)
Shortcut
Another agree-er here! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Apr 5 2012, 12:26pm

Post #8 of 13 (155 views)
Shortcut
Tom Baker was *amazing* as Puddleglum! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I agree about Lucy.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Apr 6 2012, 1:37am

Post #9 of 13 (128 views)
Shortcut
I had exactly the same reaction [In reply to] Can't Post

When I went to see LOTR for the first time, almost under protest, I was astounded to see and feel the Middle Earth I'd always loved rigt there on the screen. It's not perfect, and i disagree with lots of things. But to me, against all expectation, it was "the place."

The Marnia movies never felt like Narnia at all, and i really tried to get myself there the whole time. In my opinion, it shouln't be an effort; and that's what eventually convinced me that it wasn't just some mental glitch on my part. I wonder if it was because they are missing that darker undertone, and that bit of a "mythic" feel the books have. Kind of like what OneRinger said in his post above.

Interesting.

Spencissimus
Lorien

Apr 6 2012, 2:21am

Post #10 of 13 (180 views)
Shortcut
I really liked VotDT [In reply to] Can't Post

The kid who played Eustace was so much fun to watch on screen! While Wardrobe and Caspian were very enjoyable films...I think Dawn Treader was the one so far that I got the most enjoyment out of watching.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2012, 8:14am

Post #11 of 13 (170 views)
Shortcut
Will Poulter [In reply to] Can't Post

On repeat watches of VotDT he did grow on me. I had already seen him in lots of kids programmes before though. So on first viewing, his voice and accent were just too destracting the first time round - knowing he didn't speak or act like that.

willowing
Lorien

Apr 6 2012, 8:26pm

Post #12 of 13 (151 views)
Shortcut
I voted for The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. [In reply to] Can't Post

My reaction to this movie was the same as when I saw Disney's Snow White all those years ago as a child. But the witches in both sent chills down my spine. Brrrrr!

At the end of the day the prince got his girl and the children their crowns and thrones.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Apr 9 2012, 12:44pm

Post #13 of 13 (339 views)
Shortcut
Prince Caspian [In reply to] Can't Post

They had managed to make a rather well working plot out of such an underdeveloped book. They realized very well the potential the different themes had and played them out well. All in all, I really liked both its different story elements, and how the came together. LWW was good too, but somehow I've always thought the plot would have needed something more.

VoDT on the other hand.... my soul hasn't yet healed, so I can't dwell upon this matter.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.