Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Unique, new commentary on LOTR movie trilogy

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Mar 29 2012, 11:15pm

Post #1 of 6 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Unique, new commentary on LOTR movie trilogy Can't Post

A close relative of TheOneRing's own Barliman's chat room concept of group commentary while watching a film, DownInFront.net has completed thoughts on the entire LOTR trilogy. The site is free and interesting an the folks commenting know film but most importantly, they know story. The site leads off its "about" portion of the website with the following:
"Down in Front is a commentary podcast with a difference - all of the members of the Down in Front family are, in some way, involved in the film industry and work on movies for a living. Sometimes we even worked on the movies we run commentary on. Sometimes we're not proud of it."

They have done many more films than these, but deserve a tip of the hat for taking on this trilogy (although we confess we have only listened to snippets so far but believe they are certainly entitled to their opinions, whatever they are!) You can either watch the film and synch their commentary or listen to it on its own. Curious? Take a look right here to check out their work. (We like the idea so much, who knows, we might even borrow it and lock some staff in a room sometime during a trilogy marathon for a TORn staff commentary.) Thanks to spy rtambree for the notice.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 30 2012, 9:08am

Post #2 of 6 (510 views)
Shortcut
Oooh sounds interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing. Will have a look Smile

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2012, 12:41pm

Post #3 of 6 (504 views)
Shortcut
I actually know of this group, [In reply to] Can't Post

rather, I've seen some of the projects they've worked on (independent-wise), not of this website. Currently listening to it now; probably won't get through it, but having some frame of reference with them is good. And it sounds like a well-rounded group, too.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

Sunflower
Valinor

Mar 31 2012, 3:31pm

Post #4 of 6 (473 views)
Shortcut
Wow--WONDERFUL [In reply to] Can't Post

What a find! I actually began listening to this yesterday--these guys are insightful, well-read and film literate (at one point they launch into a detailed discussion of "Tolkien: The Monsters And The Critics", it isn't your typical "geek" commentary--what is interesting is that you have a mixture--Tolkien geeks mixed with people who have only seen the films. They spend as much time diassecting Tolkien's other works, including the HoME, as they do other films. And *funny*--oh Lord. I had to stop at 39:00 of Fellowship, not only b/c I didn't have time to listen any more, but b/c I was laughing so hard. (Discussing Frodo's departure from the Shire, the book's 17 yrs and 6 months between one scene and another vs the movie's speeding up of the timeline. I almost spit out my iced tea. I wish I coud repeat it here.)

I have to find time to listen to the whole thing, and I might listen eventually to all their other commentaries b/c this one is already so good.

I'd LOVE for the TORn staff to borrow the idea! Only I know one thing will be different--there's a *LANGUAGE WARNING* for these commentaries--you should have put that on the front page.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Mar 31 2012, 3:34pm)

eralkfang
Lorien

Apr 1 2012, 12:28pm

Post #5 of 6 (519 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've stumbled on these guys before in their early days, but I'm very impressed they did commentaries for the Extended Editions! I'm going to test 'em out on The Last Airbender or Star Wars: Episode 1 The Phantom Menace because I love hearing about how people would fix poor films, and because my Extended Editions are at home.

And a TORn commentary would be amazing!

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Apr 11 2012, 11:10pm

Post #6 of 6 (451 views)
Shortcut
I'm a glutton for film commentaries [In reply to] Can't Post

and I hate it when I have a film that I love with no commentary (shakes fist at Christopher Nolan)

Thanks for these. Will check them out!

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.