Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"If take one more step, it’ll be the farthest away from home I’ve ever been."

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 27 2012, 1:56pm

Post #1 of 14 (330 views)
Shortcut
"If take one more step, it’ll be the farthest away from home I’ve ever been." Can't Post

With this post, I pass into the Blessed Realm.

So, that calls for a mathom!

Last night, Little Eruvande and 7 of his den mates, crossed over into the "blessed realm" of Boy Scouts. We had a ceremony with the members of the Order of the Arrow, which is a service-oriented honorary group within Boy Scouts. The Order of the Arrow members dress as Native Americans and perform a very nice ceremony, speaking of how the boys have completed their Cub trail and are now on the trail of the Eagle in Boy Scouts. It is all very impressive.

Here is Little Eruvande holding his career arrow. It is painted with different colored stripes signifying his achievements in Cub Scouts.

Here are the members of the Order of the Arrow ceremony team. These boys have been nominated by their troops to be in this organization. They must be committed to service, as I'm sure they do a lot of these ceremonies. In addition to that, they perform other service projects all through the year. These are all high school age boys, and to have that kind of commitment to others is pretty special. In reading a recent post here on OT, I got the impression that some TORnadoes take a dim view of the future of the United States as well as the world in general. My words to those TORnfolk are to remember that there are boys like this all over the country, and maybe with their help, we won't be descending as far into darkness as some may fear.

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 27 2012, 2:32pm

Post #2 of 14 (190 views)
Shortcut
This is wonderful AE [In reply to] Can't Post

Your son is involved in a fine aspiration. Here, it was a hard thing to find a worthy troup /leader and that makes a big difference.

I just witnessed last month an induction of an eagle scout of a relative. It is a truly an honorable and worthy accomplishment, It is a story too of so many, being it the start of a fine life and wonderful careers of those in the past.

So may i, *salute* your son for a job well done. And please tell him that set his sights (probably already has:) ) on that Eagle Scout attainment. It is a solid foundation on which to build a future.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

"The original sin is to limit the Is. Don't" - Richard Bach

sador
Half-elven

Mar 27 2012, 2:45pm

Post #3 of 14 (188 views)
Shortcut
Congragulations x 2! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Mar 27 2012, 3:04pm

Post #4 of 14 (181 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Both to you for reaching the blessed realm, and to your sons for showing their quality!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

acheron
Gondor

Mar 27 2012, 5:58pm

Post #5 of 14 (183 views)
Shortcut
very nice, and congratulations :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Mar 27 2012, 9:08pm

Post #6 of 14 (167 views)
Shortcut
Whoohoo, congrats!! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

To both you and Little Eruvande! I bet he is very proud of his arrow-- it looks awesome! Laugh

‎"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."
--George R.R. Martin

Mozart and Chocolate
The College Student's List
Tolkien and Taters
Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 28 2012, 12:05am

Post #7 of 14 (175 views)
Shortcut
So much to celebrate! [In reply to] Can't Post

*pops cork off bubbly miruvor* A round for all, and for your young man and his friends as well - it's okay, this stuff is appropriate for all ages! Smile

Congrats to him for progressing to the next level; it's a lot of work, I know! And more to come, but it's all good, and good fun as well. And so nice to have the older boys as role models! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 28 2012, 1:34am

Post #8 of 14 (163 views)
Shortcut
Hope your stay is blessed [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations to both of you.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 28 2012, 5:54am

Post #9 of 14 (151 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations to you both! // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 28 2012, 7:40am

Post #10 of 14 (157 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations to you both! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Sunflower
Valinor

Mar 28 2012, 4:35pm

Post #11 of 14 (151 views)
Shortcut
Awwww.**sniff* [In reply to] Can't Post

I am guessing that the young man in the pic was the adorable babe in your avatar? *SNIFF* Such a beautiful bay, and such a handsome young man! Congrads to him, and wow is that an impressive Arrow! I'm glad they make it a true-to-life Arrow and not some tiny little thing.

Speaking as a former Girl Scout, who rememers all the stages from Brownie to Senior, I can relate a little, and I remember how hard it was to get a badge, but the Boy Scout stages are different. I hope the modern Girl and Boy Scouts are a bit more similar..back in my day it seemed the boys got to do all the really fun stuff to get their honors.

A sober note though. You refed some posts in OT..and I think I might be one of these people. I can't deny what me and a certain other poster wrote, and I stand by those beliefs. And in light of that, I hope that you will instruct your sons well, so that they will make the right choices, and thnk carefully about those choices. I can't help thinking that so many of the soldiers who came back traumatized and injured, or been killed, in America's senseless wars of conquest (ahem, "fighting Terror") this past decade may have been Boy Scouts too. And how greedy politicans whose sons never had to fight just used the lives of those young men.

Anyway, BIG BOSIE HUGS to you and yours, and may your days all grow in blessedness!

Nightingale
Rohan

Mar 28 2012, 6:51pm

Post #12 of 14 (141 views)
Shortcut
My aunt was a scout [In reply to] Can't Post

rather than a girl scout, (or what we call here, a 'girl guide'). She was a tomboy, and wanted to do what her big brother did! Smile
She eventually got the Queen's Scout award. My grandma is still so proud of that Wink

I was a Brownie, and I think they do more adventure type stuff now.

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

(This post was edited by Nightingale on Mar 28 2012, 6:53pm)

Patty
Immortal

Mar 28 2012, 6:56pm

Post #13 of 14 (136 views)
Shortcut
Congrats! Now you've only got... [In reply to] Can't Post

a few thousand post till you're half-elven. Then immortality --but hey, that is light years away.

Enjoy Valinor.Smile

Permanent address: Into the West

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 30 2012, 4:31pm

Post #14 of 14 (157 views)
Shortcut
Hear! Hear! Well said... and Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations on your progress AND your wonderful son's achievement! Good parents help, you know ;)

sample

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.