Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Uruk-Hai vs Mewlips

imin
Valinor

Mar 26 2012, 2:11pm

Post #1 of 10 (432 views)
Shortcut
Uruk-Hai vs Mewlips Can't Post

What does everyone think, an Uruk Hai or a Mewlip?

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 26 2012, 2:18pm

Post #2 of 10 (142 views)
Shortcut
Oooh [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a good one!! I would probably go for the Mewlips, since they are elusive and collect your bones quite easily! Uruk-Hai are probably a bit useless in such a situation Wink

(Sound like the Vashta Nerada to me!)

imin
Valinor

Mar 26 2012, 7:54pm

Post #3 of 10 (101 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This is a good one!! I would probably go for the Mewlips, since they are elusive and collect your bones quite easily! Uruk-Hai are probably a bit useless in such a situation Wink

(Sound like the Vashta Nerada to me!)

I wasnt sure if many/anyone would know what i was talking about when i said Mewlips, good to know you do :)

I was kinda of puzzled as who to have them against as they are so strange so i just went for standard bad guy, lol. I had to look up what the Vashta Nerada were but yes i do think they are very similar and scary in their own way along with the mewlips.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 26 2012, 8:54pm

Post #4 of 10 (99 views)
Shortcut
Since very little is written [In reply to] Can't Post

it's hard to say. But based on the poem I would say they are stronger than the Uruk-Hai Smile

imin
Valinor

Mar 26 2012, 9:18pm

Post #5 of 10 (126 views)
Shortcut
Yeah i think you are right. [In reply to] Can't Post

I see them as a kind of barrow wight way but not wights if that makes sense? lol.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 27 2012, 7:13am

Post #6 of 10 (92 views)
Shortcut
That's a good thought [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if Tolkien considered the Mewlips and the Barrows to be the same or similar. Since the Barrows are wraith-like creatures (akin to the Ringwraiths) and have burial mounds etc, they are quite similar to the Mewlips in that sense (i.e. taking bones, being elusive evil creatures etc).

There are differences though - the Barrows were phantoms, lost spirits and shapeshifters that could appear in any guise. The poem on the Mewlips is quite different to this.

I found a short but interesting page a while back on where the Mewlips may be:

http://users.cybercity.dk/...tolkien/mewlips.html

You never know, if they really are in the part of ME, maybe we will see some in Dol Guldur Wink It may be worth starting a thread over in the reading room to have a proper discussion on them?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 28 2012, 2:39am

Post #7 of 10 (130 views)
Shortcut
You go to find the Mewlips...and the Mewlips feed... [In reply to] Can't Post

...even if you're an Uruk-hai! Evil

Mmm...orc-flesh...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 29 2012, 5:18pm

Post #8 of 10 (120 views)
Shortcut
Mewlips [In reply to] Can't Post

Mewlips also look better than orcs:

http://www.google.co.uk/...p;ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Apr 3 2012, 12:07am

Post #9 of 10 (296 views)
Shortcut
Mewlips [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to say Uruk Kai, but Mewlips would probably win.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jan 7 2014, 4:59pm

Post #10 of 10 (34 views)
Shortcut
uruk-hai [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.