Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Favorite Scientist

Poll: Favorite Scientist
Isaac Newton
Albert Einstein
Neils Bohr
Sigmund Freud
Louis Pasteur
Johannes Kepler
Werner Heisenberg
Ernest Rutherford
Marie Curie
William Harvey
Emil Fischer
Stephen Hawking
Edward O. Wilson
Ernst Haeckel
Galileo
Leonardo da Vinci
Plato
Aristotle
James Maxwell
My favorite isn't listed :(
It's impossible to pick a favorite - they've all done so much
I can't decide
View Results (37 votes)

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Mar 22 2012, 4:53pm

Views: 751
Shortcut
Favorite Scientist Can't Post

Lately I have been reading a lot about science. It's always been one of my favorite school subjects and I especially like learning about physics and other discoveries that might be possible in the future. Newton is number one for me because of all his (brilliant) explanations of the laws of physics. Recently I've been reading a book by Michio Kaku called Physics Of The Future and I'm loving it. He portrays things in such an amazing way and does great being both technical and perfectly comprehensible.
So, who is your favorite scientist and why? Smile I'm only able to list some of the more popular scientists so I'm sorry if I have overlooked anyone! Crazy

Random facts about scientists (just for fun):

1.) Newton was elected as a Member of Parliament in 1689 and served for exactly one year. During that time, he said one and only one sentence during the lengthy proceedings: he asked a nearby usher to close an open, drafty window.

2.) Einstein's interest in science went back to age five when he sat sick in bed and his father showed him a compass.

3.) Niels Bohr was a soccer player.

4.) James Maxwell is attributed with creating the first true color photograph.

5.) Galileo was the first person to find that Jupiter has four moons.

6.) Ernst Haeckel lived to be 85 years, 5 months and 24 days old

7.) Leonardo da Vinci was a vegetarian

8.) Plato studied under Socrates. Later, Plato was the teacher of Aristotle.

9.) Marie Curie was the first women to win that the Nobel Prize.

10.) William Harvey, the first person to correctly explain the process of blood circulation died of a stroke at age 79.

11.)
Leonardo Da Vinci spent twelve years painting the Mona Lisa's lips.

12.) Edward O. Wilson began by studying how ants communicate

13.) NASA’s 2009 Kepler Mission was named after Johannes Kepler for his key role and contributions to astronomy.

Subject User Time
Favorite Scientist Wraith Buster Send a private message to Wraith Buster Mar 22 2012, 4:53pm
    Can I vote for myself DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 22 2012, 4:56pm
        I think that's allowed Wraith Buster Send a private message to Wraith Buster Mar 22 2012, 5:06pm
            No, you have certainly listed the greats DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 22 2012, 5:19pm
        Good for you, DanielLB! zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Mar 24 2012, 7:01am
            Just a little more interesting DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 24 2012, 10:16am
                lol imin Send a private message to imin Mar 24 2012, 10:36am
                Well, with less exciting transient weather events zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Mar 25 2012, 3:52am
        Well then, you must come up with a scientist worthy hairstyle. Patty Send a private message to Patty Mar 31 2012, 1:18pm
            Maybe not the clothes or hairstyle DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 31 2012, 1:22pm
    Max Planck, though some might find him a bit stiff. Alassėa Eruvande Send a private message to Alassėa Eruvande Mar 22 2012, 5:31pm
        I'm bored of him already // SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Mar 23 2012, 4:33am
            Professer Xavier. Thorins_apprentice Send a private message to Thorins_apprentice Mar 23 2012, 4:57am
            Knot yet. I'd like to know what he saw in Mills.// Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Mar 23 2012, 6:29pm
                Hey! one pun per customer you naughty girl. // SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Mar 24 2012, 1:48am
                    Heh heh! Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Mar 24 2012, 2:41am
                        And what about Professor Philip Brainard?\\ silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Mar 31 2012, 3:07am
    Fav is not listed imin Send a private message to imin Mar 22 2012, 6:50pm
    I have many. Delrond Send a private message to Delrond Mar 23 2012, 1:08am
    Always been an Einstein fan, myself Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Mar 23 2012, 2:16am
    They're all wackos Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Mar 23 2012, 2:43pm
    I would have gone with Carl Jung or the Buddha Annael Send a private message to Annael Mar 23 2012, 3:48pm
        Buddhism and neuroscience zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Mar 24 2012, 7:37am
            Deepak Chopra likely has written something about it SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Mar 24 2012, 4:19pm
                I'll have to check out the Zacharias book, thanks :) // zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Mar 25 2012, 3:54am
            yes Annael Send a private message to Annael Mar 31 2012, 1:31am
                They sound great! I'll look into them. Thank you, Annael! :) // zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Mar 31 2012, 1:49am
    Father of modern biology imin Send a private message to imin Mar 23 2012, 7:05pm
    Louis Pasteur, mais bien sūr! // SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Mar 24 2012, 1:53am
    Where's Copernicus? zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Mar 24 2012, 7:24am
        There is also, silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Mar 31 2012, 3:01am
            Ah, yes! zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Apr 1 2012, 4:29am
    I would also liked to have voted for... RoseCotton Send a private message to RoseCotton Mar 26 2012, 8:11am
    James Cameron DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 26 2012, 8:14am
    I have a fascination with Einstein's life and his sense of life.. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Mar 31 2012, 2:54am
    Well, I don't know about you, but I think... Patty Send a private message to Patty Apr 2 2012, 3:08am
        New "Cosmos" with Neil Degrasse Tyson as host? zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Apr 5 2012, 7:11am
            That would be awesome. Patty Send a private message to Patty Apr 5 2012, 1:43pm
    Hans Bethe! And...Tycho Brahe? HappyHobbitess Send a private message to HappyHobbitess Apr 6 2012, 1:13pm
    Three way tie... GAndyalf Send a private message to GAndyalf Apr 6 2012, 4:05pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.