Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Favorite Scientist
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Favorite Scientist
Isaac Newton
Albert Einstein
Neils Bohr
Sigmund Freud
Louis Pasteur
Johannes Kepler
Werner Heisenberg
Ernest Rutherford
Marie Curie
William Harvey
Emil Fischer
Stephen Hawking
Edward O. Wilson
Ernst Haeckel
Galileo
Leonardo da Vinci
Plato
Aristotle
James Maxwell
My favorite isn't listed :(
It's impossible to pick a favorite - they've all done so much
I can't decide
View Results (37 votes)

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Mar 22 2012, 4:53pm

Post #1 of 40 (810 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Scientist Can't Post

Lately I have been reading a lot about science. It's always been one of my favorite school subjects and I especially like learning about physics and other discoveries that might be possible in the future. Newton is number one for me because of all his (brilliant) explanations of the laws of physics. Recently I've been reading a book by Michio Kaku called Physics Of The Future and I'm loving it. He portrays things in such an amazing way and does great being both technical and perfectly comprehensible.
So, who is your favorite scientist and why? Smile I'm only able to list some of the more popular scientists so I'm sorry if I have overlooked anyone! Crazy

Random facts about scientists (just for fun):

1.) Newton was elected as a Member of Parliament in 1689 and served for exactly one year. During that time, he said one and only one sentence during the lengthy proceedings: he asked a nearby usher to close an open, drafty window.

2.) Einstein's interest in science went back to age five when he sat sick in bed and his father showed him a compass.

3.) Niels Bohr was a soccer player.

4.) James Maxwell is attributed with creating the first true color photograph.

5.) Galileo was the first person to find that Jupiter has four moons.

6.) Ernst Haeckel lived to be 85 years, 5 months and 24 days old

7.) Leonardo da Vinci was a vegetarian

8.) Plato studied under Socrates. Later, Plato was the teacher of Aristotle.

9.) Marie Curie was the first women to win that the Nobel Prize.

10.) William Harvey, the first person to correctly explain the process of blood circulation died of a stroke at age 79.

11.)
Leonardo Da Vinci spent twelve years painting the Mona Lisa's lips.

12.) Edward O. Wilson began by studying how ants communicate

13.) NASA’s 2009 Kepler Mission was named after Johannes Kepler for his key role and contributions to astronomy.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 22 2012, 4:56pm

Post #2 of 40 (356 views)
Shortcut
Can I vote for myself [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a scientist - studying for a meteorology/climatology/atmospheric science PhD! My favourite scientists would be more modern day ones that are important to my field of research (those responsible for discovery of ozone hole, climate change, CFC's etc)

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Mar 22 2012, 5:06pm

Post #3 of 40 (338 views)
Shortcut
I think that's allowed [In reply to] Can't Post

But I would have never thought to add it to the poll options! I didn't know there were any scientists here.Wink
I agree. I do like scientist from our time too. Just thought that I might get yelled at if I didn't mention people like Einstein in a poll about great scientists.Angelic Haha.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 22 2012, 5:19pm

Post #4 of 40 (398 views)
Shortcut
No, you have certainly listed the greats [In reply to] Can't Post

Both from our important past, and some of which are still alive today. None of the people I could mention would be considered "famous"Wink

The problem with your list, however, is that they are all great! They all deserve to be up there - they have all shaped our lives today, have changed the foundation of science, changed society and polcies, kept people alive and extended lives, changed our views of the universe (both on the gigantic scale all the way down to the minute).

I will have to vote for them all Smile

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 22 2012, 5:31pm

Post #5 of 40 (368 views)
Shortcut
Max Planck, though some might find him a bit stiff. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Seriously, though, he's the father of quantum physics, which makes my head explode in a good way. If my head were not so explosive, I might have gone on to study quantum physics. But just the tiny bit I know, and the even smaller bit I understand, I love.

imin
Valinor

Mar 22 2012, 6:50pm

Post #6 of 40 (309 views)
Shortcut
Fav is not listed [In reply to] Can't Post

Charles Darwin.

Delrond
Rohan

Mar 23 2012, 1:08am

Post #7 of 40 (299 views)
Shortcut
I have many. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sir Alexander Fleming. Serendipitously discovered penicillin, which led to a thriving pharmaceutical industry.

Jonas Salk, discovered and developed the polio vaccine.

James Watson and Francis Crick. First to propose the structure of DNA, the double helix, as well as base pairing.

Frederick Banting. Co-discoverer of insulin and the youngest Nobel Prize winner in medicine.

I have a obvious slant towards medicinal discoveries, as these are close to the heart, for many reasons.

I like Einstein for his special and general theories of relativity. His work has spawned the search for a Unified Field Theory, attempting to combine quantum mechanics and general relativity. Still an open question among theoretical physicists.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 23 2012, 2:16am

Post #8 of 40 (319 views)
Shortcut
Always been an Einstein fan, myself [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's the hair Cool

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 23 2012, 4:33am

Post #9 of 40 (314 views)
Shortcut
I'm bored of him already // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Mar 23 2012, 4:33am)

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Mar 23 2012, 4:57am

Post #10 of 40 (380 views)
Shortcut
Professer Xavier. [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL<not a real scientist but he is still a genius as far as fictional things concern.lol

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2012, 2:43pm

Post #11 of 40 (317 views)
Shortcut
They're all wackos [In reply to] Can't Post

Would have voted for Carl Jung for being the originator of the handy Myers-Bruggs Type Indicator (vey useful when designing characters). Now voted for Plato. Philophists and old school phsycologists are my favourites.

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 23 2012, 3:48pm

Post #12 of 40 (297 views)
Shortcut
I would have gone with Carl Jung or the Buddha [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Freud is often credited with "the discovery of the unconscious," but the ancient Greeks knew all about that. Freud extrapolated his ideas from very few cases, most of which weren't even his own patients.

Jung and the Buddha took a truly scientific attitude towards the mind - Jung by studying the words and dreams and drawings of his patients, the Buddha by sitting and observing his own mind at work. Jung even kept a record of his own mental breakdown ("The Red Book"). Both of them realized that there is an Observer or Higher Self that is capable of standing back and being objective about the ego- and instinct-driven parts of ourselves. What I find most interesting is that modern neuroscientists with their PET scans and brain chemistry studies are now starting to confirm what the Buddha figured out 2500 years ago through meditation. And recent studies have identified different brain chemistry and neural pathways in extraverts and introverts, concepts Jung introduced a hundred years ago. So I think they're awesome!

I also would have voted for Richard Feynman, just because he was such a fascinating character.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Mar 23 2012, 6:29pm

Post #13 of 40 (254 views)
Shortcut
Knot yet. I'd like to know what he saw in Mills.// [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Mar 23 2012, 7:05pm

Post #14 of 40 (260 views)
Shortcut
Father of modern biology [In reply to] Can't Post

nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution - Theodosius Dobzhansky (one of the creators of modern synthesis)

Francis Crick, the co-discoverer of the structure of DNA, quickly grasped the significance of DNA to evolution. In June 1989, long before any genomes had been sequenced, he wrote: “ I think the most significant aspect of DNA is the support it gives evolution by natural selection”.
Charles Darwin didn’t know about DNA, but in 1857 he wrote to his friend and colleague Thomas Henry Huxley, saying: “ The time will come, I believe, though I shall not live to see it, when we shall have fairly true genealogical trees of each great kingdom of Nature”.

I honestly think he changed the way scientists especially biologists viewed the world and made it more wonderful and ultimately led to structure of DNA, genome sequencing, modern medicine as a whole.

Though i know people may feel uncomfortable commenting what with a lot of Americans from what i have read a fair few don't believe in evolution and there being quite a few Americans on this site itself.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 24 2012, 1:48am

Post #15 of 40 (234 views)
Shortcut
Hey! one pun per customer you naughty girl. // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 24 2012, 1:53am

Post #16 of 40 (260 views)
Shortcut
Louis Pasteur, mais bien sűr! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Mar 24 2012, 2:41am

Post #17 of 40 (316 views)
Shortcut
Heh heh! [In reply to] Can't Post

EvilAngelic

Once I thought of J.S. Mills, I found the rest irresistible.
Blush

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2012, 7:01am

Post #18 of 40 (229 views)
Shortcut
Good for you, DanielLB! [In reply to] Can't Post

My dad was a weather officer in the Air Force and has continued to be a weather nut ever since. Living in Oklahoma (aka the middle of "tornado alley") ensures that there's plenty of active weather to keep him interested.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2012, 7:24am

Post #19 of 40 (256 views)
Shortcut
Where's Copernicus? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know, so many luminaries, so little space. Smile

However, I have a fondness for those who, though maybe not as great as their predecessors, helped add to our overall understanding of certain topics. I also love the unsung heros and those who were dismissed early on, only to be vindicated later.

Some examples:

Louis, Mary, and Richard Leakey

Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Birute Galdikas

Rosalind Franklin, who has been so unjustly overlooked for her contribution to the discovery of the structure of DNA.

Hugh Everett who first proposed the many worlds interpretation of quantum physics.

And a shout out to Carl Sagan who was dismissed by fellow scientists as a mere "popularizer" of science. Maybe he never actually made any major contributions to astronomy, but he inspired so many young people to become scientists. Fortunately, since his time, undisputedly great scientists like Steven Hawking have made it more acceptable to write science for the general public.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Mar 24 2012, 7:26am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2012, 7:37am

Post #20 of 40 (267 views)
Shortcut
Buddhism and neuroscience [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What I find most interesting is that modern neuroscientists with their PET scans and brain chemistry studies are now starting to confirm what the Buddha figured out 2500 years ago through meditation. And recent studies have identified different brain chemistry and neural pathways in extraverts and introverts, concepts Jung introduced a hundred years ago. So I think they're awesome!

I loved the book, The Joy of Living: The Secret and Science of Happiness, by Rinpoche Yongey Mingyur. He blends his explanations of meditation and his exploration of what you wrote about, neurobiology and Buddhist concepts, in a completely engaging way. Do you have any other suggestions for reading on this topic?

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 24 2012, 10:16am

Post #21 of 40 (226 views)
Shortcut
Just a little more interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Than here in the UK Wink The most exciting weather we get is a thunderstorm - even then they only last a couple of hours!

imin
Valinor

Mar 24 2012, 10:36am

Post #22 of 40 (280 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

i cant even remember the last thunderstorm it has been that long! What do you think about rain? Coming from where i do, i think i had to either love it or would end up hating it. Now if it goes more than a week without rain i start to feel like everything is going to dry up and die Unsure I love the rain, especially really heavy downpours!

I think for me the most exciting weather was the cockermouth flood of 2009, though it ended up being more depressing in the end :(

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 24 2012, 4:19pm

Post #23 of 40 (302 views)
Shortcut
Deepak Chopra likely has written something about it [In reply to] Can't Post

those are the waters in which he often swims.

I can recommend Ravi Zacharias' latest book, Why Jesus? (2012) as he examines this subject for a chapter or two. In it he uses Inception as a running metaphor throughout.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2012, 3:52am

Post #24 of 40 (258 views)
Shortcut
Well, with less exciting transient weather events [In reply to] Can't Post

you have more time to devote to the big picture of climatology which is vital.

Good luck with school and your future careerSmile

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2012, 3:54am

Post #25 of 40 (305 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to check out the Zacharias book, thanks :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.