Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Twelve questions for Stephen Fry
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 22 2012, 12:23am

Post #1 of 44 (1263 views)
Shortcut
Twelve questions for Stephen Fry Can't Post

A neat little interview in today's NZ Herald with Stephen Fry.

I can hear his voice as I read his words. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 22 2012, 2:16am

Post #2 of 44 (215 views)
Shortcut
I believe i like this guy.\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

WHERE IS OUR DARKSTONE?
''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
ó J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of ManwŽ let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of ManwŽ Sķlimo

"The original sin is to limit the Is. Don't" - Richard Bach

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 22 2012, 2:22am

Post #3 of 44 (268 views)
Shortcut
and here I thought Kel was soliciting 12 questions that she would ask Stephen! // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 22 2012, 2:27am

Post #4 of 44 (242 views)
Shortcut
I recommended QI to Patty [In reply to] Can't Post

and she liked it. You might, too.

Do a google search for QI and then click 'videos'.

Watch and enjoy.

LOTR soundtrack website

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Mar 22 2012, 2:27am

Post #5 of 44 (253 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cheeky bird LaughHeart

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 22 2012, 9:29am

Post #6 of 44 (277 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 22 2012, 9:37pm

Post #7 of 44 (178 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked: "Wellingtonians seem to think riding bicycles up steep hills is fun. It isn't. It's lung-bursting agony and you must stop it at once." One of my favourite things to do on a weekend when I lived in Wellington was cycling round the bays, and to do it in a circle rather than turn round and retrace cycle tracks you had to cycle up a long, fairly steep hill. It was agony. It was amazing getting to the top. Smile

I love Stephen Fry.

Storm clouds

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 22 2012, 11:19pm

Post #8 of 44 (229 views)
Shortcut
I think you'll like this then: [In reply to] Can't Post

A happy birthday message from Fry to Sirocco - the bird who mistook Fry's offsider as a bird he could shag during an episode of Last Chance to See.

Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23 2012, 7:45am

Post #9 of 44 (171 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

That clip from that programme is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Storm clouds

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Mar 24 2012, 4:41am

Post #10 of 44 (155 views)
Shortcut
Who? [In reply to] Can't Post

Never heard of him.

I am SPOILER FREE. howver.

And looking to stay that way. Wink

The Ultimate Tolkien Trivia Quiz: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=so-you-want-to-be-tolkien-geek

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 24 2012, 4:46am

Post #11 of 44 (207 views)
Shortcut
can't shill it enough [In reply to] Can't Post

give QI a try on youtube. (see my reply to sil).

I bet you'd like the show. It's not fiction. It's ... well, it's hard to describe. But it's pretty interesting. Quite interesting. And intelligent, and funny.

I don't think it would spoil anything for the Hobbit.

LOTR soundtrack website

willowing
Lorien

Mar 24 2012, 8:46am

Post #12 of 44 (144 views)
Shortcut
Interview with Stephen Fry [In reply to] Can't Post

Stephen gave a marvelous response in replying to the questions, although brief, the questions nonetheless had impact which gave Stephen the opportunity to open up more and express his feelings. I thought the questions were very good. Cool

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Mar 24 2012, 12:48pm

Post #13 of 44 (141 views)
Shortcut
QI? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you elaborate just a little bit?

Time's rather "precious". Sly

The Ultimate Tolkien Trivia Quiz: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=so-you-want-to-be-tolkien-geek

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 24 2012, 1:11pm

Post #14 of 44 (137 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

QI stands for Quite Interesting but to describe it (or attempt to) would take longer than to just watch a segment. Search for QI on google and hit videos on the left. Most youtube segments are 3-7 minutes although the full shows are longer than that.

It's intended to be entertaining. Most of the contestants are comedians. Stephen Fry asks a question and they attempt to answer it but it's all in fun and if they don't have the answer - or even if they do - they are being funny.

The whole approach is aimed a little higher in intelligence than Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and is funnier than Jeopardy. Stephen Fry can do serious drama but he also does comedy. But keep in mind, it's British comedy.

The closest thing that comes to it I can offer is the PBS radio program, Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me.

It doesn't show Stephen Fry in a scripted role but it does show off his natural personality and how he comports himself. And the show is just fun to watch.

Try starting with this one on Adam and Eve:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLb9Pv7EM2M CAVEAT - am letting this video run in the background and it gets a gently risque / adult at times.

Maybe try this one if you don't want to risk the risque.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFMG9eh1ST8 - this seems to be a full length episode but you can stop watching after 5 minutes if time is precious. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 24 2012, 1:15pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 24 2012, 1:30pm

Post #15 of 44 (133 views)
Shortcut
my second link... [In reply to] Can't Post

is also a little risque.

What can I say. The Brits aren't as priggish about stuff as the Yanks.

LOTR soundtrack website

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Mar 24 2012, 1:38pm

Post #16 of 44 (143 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

But British Comedy is something I seldom 'get'..

I find I usually sit there saying "That was supposed to be funny?"

And, I find game shows so 'dumbed down', like 'millionare' as opposed to Jeopardy. TV execs just aren't looking for smart people any longer.....

But Adam & Eve, one can only imagine what modern TV comedy does to that!

So, perhaps I'll check that one out ~ when my new headphones we (literally) just ordered arrive in the next few days.

imin
Valinor

Mar 24 2012, 2:20pm

Post #17 of 44 (142 views)
Shortcut
That's interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

as that's the same reaction i have to most American comedy! I am not a fan of the canned laughter either - i will make my own mind up about when something is funny or not, though having spent time in America, i know a lot of people like to be kinda told when things are funny. Though i lived in California so maybe that wasnt the 'true America'.

I think British comedy is a little bit darker. certainly more subtle and less straightforward, which makes many Americans go, that wasnt funny just nasty or that wasnt even a joke!

Im not saying Americans are stupid by the way, just how each culture handles comedy is different.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 24 2012, 3:18pm

Post #18 of 44 (129 views)
Shortcut
QI is funny... but not dumbed down [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Stephen Fry for lots of reasons and one is that he is unassumingly intelligent.

Headphones would be good. The sound is never good on youtube or computer speakers and I will take the fact that you don't often get British comedy to indicate you aren't British so therefore the accents will likely be an issue with poor sound quality. At least they are for me. I can't really watch streaming tv of British shows without headphones since streaming doesn't have closed captions.

You might not get QI but I do think it's worth a look. Don't judge QI on anything you've seen before.

LOTR soundtrack website

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 24 2012, 3:30pm

Post #19 of 44 (135 views)
Shortcut
I suppose there are different sorts of British comedy, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would hate to suggest I can speak to that.

I think - at least before cable and the internet - most Yanks' exposure to Brit humor was through PBS. I never got (and have no interest in trying to get) Benny Hill or Are You Being Served.

I can remember watching Mr. Bean and going HUN? with a really wonked look on my face. That is until I saw an episode where he gets locked out of a swimming area with no clothes on and he's desperately trying to get back (to the pool or room?). Zing. I suddenly got the humor and laughed hard at some of the shots.

Current tv is kind of sad... at least broadcast which is all I get. A lot of what passes as popular comedy series in the US is not to my taste. Current comedy I'm enjoying includes: Raising Hope and Modern Family. I also thought Malcolm in the Middle would do a great job of taking the whole half hour to set up the final joke.

LOTR soundtrack website

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 24 2012, 3:33pm)

imin
Valinor

Mar 24 2012, 3:38pm

Post #20 of 44 (140 views)
Shortcut
yeah i was making very generalised comments [In reply to] Can't Post

about british and american comedies, ofcourse both countries have different types of comedy shows. I think most of the American shows i like the most at the moment are more drama based. A good one i have only recently become aware of is Homeland.

Channel 4 in the UK do some great comedy, such as Peepshow, Teachers, Inbetweeners (maybe one for younger people there), i really like mock the week aswell on BBC2, have i got news for you, nevermind the buzzcocks (sometimes).

For me though Peepshow is just so cringe inducingly good, with some great lines. I dont know if many Americans or people from most other countries would understand it. But im sure there are many instances of American shows which are hilarious over there fall a little flat over here.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 24 2012, 3:53pm

Post #21 of 44 (128 views)
Shortcut
Homeland is on my saved list in Netflix [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Damian Lewis. Can't wait to see him in Homeland.

LOTR soundtrack website

imin
Valinor

Mar 24 2012, 4:10pm

Post #22 of 44 (123 views)
Shortcut
I think he is a great actor as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a fantastic show, like almost all American shows, high production value and well acted. Also has a great story, which im sure you will enjoy.

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Mar 24 2012, 6:12pm

Post #23 of 44 (132 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it Funny? [In reply to] Can't Post

No pun intended? Cool

That our cultures react that way?

As Mark Twain said: 'The American & English, a people divided by a common language." Wink

My take on British humor goes way back to Monty Python & Benny Hill in the 70's.

I just never found it funny.

I couldn't agree more on the canned laughter thing (did Magpie say that?).

I also can't recall the last thing I watched put out by American TV ~ Cheers perhaps?

I'll take the old classic stuff like The Honeymooners any day...

Lately, my family & I have been watching reruns of the 1966 Batman TV series...

Now that's FUNNY!

Odd, I thought it was SO serious when it came out and I was 5 at the time. Wink

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Mar 24 2012, 7:25pm

Post #24 of 44 (122 views)
Shortcut
Our favorite right now is The Big Bang Theory [In reply to] Can't Post

And we have a good friend in the UK who also thinks it's just about the funniest thing he's ever seen. But then, we're all geeks, so that part of the humor appeals to us. (BBT does have the occasional reference to LotR, and did one entire show about finding a replica of the one ring used in making the movies.)

British shows like Benny Hill or Are You Being Served leave me cold, too, but then, Fawlty Towers will have me rolling on the floor howling---and that's just one example. Generally I find British sitcoms funnier than American ones---something about their use of the language, I suspect.

But if anything is personal, it's one's sense of humor!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 24 2012, 7:28pm

Post #25 of 44 (153 views)
Shortcut
I like Big Bang in Theory more than practice [In reply to] Can't Post

The humor is too narrow for me. The characters a little too stereotyped for me to completely buy into them.

But if I'm going to laugh, it's almost always caused by Sheldon. He has great delivery.

LOTR soundtrack website

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.