Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Star Wars vs. LOTR

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Mar 16 2012, 12:44am

Post #1 of 13 (3358 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars vs. LOTR Can't Post

riders of rohan vs. biker scouts

imperial army vs. armies of mordor

armies of Minas Tirith vs. clone army

dunedain rangers vs. the rebellion

Obi Wan vs. Gandalf

Darth Vader vs. Sauron

Luke Skywalker vs. Aragorn

Count Dooku vs. Saurman

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Mar 16 2012, 1:09am)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2012, 2:54am

Post #2 of 13 (1508 views)
Shortcut
Geez... [In reply to] Can't Post

Imperial Army vs. Armies of Mordor - Imperial Army cause they have frickin' lasers
Armies of Minis Tirith vs. Clone Army - Minas Tirith, cause they can outsmart the clones with frickin' lasers
Rangers vs. Rebellion - Rebellion, cause well, the Force eh!
Obi Wan vs. Gandalf - Obi Wan cause the Force eh! and a lightsaber and a frickin' laser (this is incredibly tough and I don't like where its going)
Vader vs. Sauron - Vader. Cause he's frickin' Vader damn it!
Luke vs. Aragorn - son of a....Luke, same reasons as Obi Wan
Dooku vs. Saruman - same guy, he punches himself silly, draw

Add it up, and well...errr...ummm.....draw!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 16 2012, 11:15am

Post #3 of 13 (1677 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings for all! [In reply to] Can't Post

Simply because this is a LOTR forum, so I am incredibly bias Wink

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2012, 3:10am

Post #4 of 13 (1645 views)
Shortcut
line by line [In reply to] Can't Post

riders of rohan vs. biker scouts.
Riders: master of the horse, can wield spears and shoot bows while riding.
Biker Scouts: they're stormtroopers, therefore they can't shoot for their lives. They have fancy speeder bikes, but they keep flying into trees.
Edge: Riders.

imperial army vs. armies of mordor
Imperials: Stormtroopers can't shoot.
Armies of Mordor: Orcs can't shoot either.
Edge: Draw.

armies of Minas Tirith vs. clone army
Minas Tirith: Seven layers of stone walls surrounding a silver and pearl spike that is the tower of Ecthelion, with silver trumpets in the background.
Clone army: eventually they got replaced by Stormtroopers.
Edge: Minas Tirith.

dunedain rangers vs. the rebellion
Rangers: bad ass, wilderness-bred Numenoreans with part-Elven heritage and impressive longevity.
Rebellion: X-wing and Y-wing fleets, succeeded in taking out the Death Star twice.
Edge: Draw.

Obi Wan vs. Gandalf
Obi Wan: old grey-bearded wiseman gets killed but becomes one with the Force and continues to appear as a spirit to say things like "I was telling you the truth...from a certain point of view".
Gandalf: old grey-bearded wiseman gets killed but comes back, in physical form and stronger than before, as the new Chief of his Order, the brains behind the force that ultimately prevails against the Shadow.
EDGE: Gandalf.

Darth Vader vs. Sauron
Vader: Mean, black-armored dude with great powers, has a sympathetic backstory, ends up redeemed. Along the way he was a Dark Lord of the Sith, but always the apprentice, never the master.
Sauron: Mean, black-armored dude with great powers, is a villain from way back, ends up destroyed. But along the way he was the Main Boss Bad Guy.
Edge: Sauron, but Vader is more likeable.

Luke Skywalker vs. Aragorn.
Luke: farm boy learns the ways of the Jedi, brings balance to the Force, eventually founder of the new Jedi order.
Aragorn: woodsman returns from exile to bring the monarchy back to Gondor, eventually its next King after many generations of kinglessness.
EDGE: it's a draw.

Count Dooku vs. Saruman
Dooku: can fence expertly in the "duelling" style of lightsaber, and a powerful dark force user. Led the Separatists, but actually he was a pawn of his secret Sith Master, who would become Emperor.
Saruman: was able to defeat Gandalf in a magical duel, and was a powerful wizard. Led the forces of Isengard, but actually he was overshadowed and manipulated by the dark lord Sauron, who was the master of Shadow and personification of evil.
Edge: it's a draw.

FINAL TALLY: LOTR by a slim margin.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...rum.cgi?post=424021;

imin
Valinor

Mar 17 2012, 7:30am

Post #5 of 13 (1568 views)
Shortcut
for me this is easier than i think it might be for others [In reply to] Can't Post

I didnt watch the original star wars movies when they initially came out as im too young, but when i did watch them i was majorly underwhelmed, i dont think it helps that i dont like harrison ford and i felt they looked really dated, then the prequel trilogy came about and they were even worse! It may also be im more into fantasy than science fiction most of the time.

So for me, especially as we are on a lord of the rings/middle earth fan site, then the lord of the rings characters win ever time!

Eredhion
The Shire

Mar 17 2012, 7:49am

Post #6 of 13 (2113 views)
Shortcut
LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like Star Wars but my heart belongs to Middle-Earth.

“Not idly do the leaves of Lórien fall”

YavannaValar
The Shire

Mar 18 2012, 7:16pm

Post #7 of 13 (1431 views)
Shortcut
I have to agree [In reply to] Can't Post

SW is awesome, but LOTR is better.

What is this thing you call 'normal'? Is it contagious? Stay away from me! I might catch your 'normal'.

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Mar 19 2012, 11:57pm

Post #8 of 13 (3122 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

GothmogTheBalrog
Rivendell

Mar 26 2012, 5:36pm

Post #9 of 13 (950 views)
Shortcut
My opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

SW = #1 Sci-fi
LotR = #1 Fantasy

Agreed?

"who now has the power to stand against Isengard and Mordor? Who can stand against the might of Sauron and Saruman, and the union of the Two Towers?"
-Saruman

shirehobbit
Rivendell

Apr 5 2012, 8:29pm

Post #10 of 13 (967 views)
Shortcut
GAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! [In reply to] Can't Post

riders of rohan > biker scoutsUnimpressed
No comments
imperial army < orcsWink
Orc numbers overwhelm their blasters
armies of minis tirith = clone armyAngelic
Obi-Wan negotiates with Gandalf and comes up with a peaceful solution
dunedain rangers > rebelionUnsure
Rangers don't step on twigs like some *cough Han cough* people. No offense Han! still luv ya!
Obi-Wan > GandalfFrown
Because I like him more. In reality, well maybe not realilty, they would just sit and have a cup of tea and talk about Frodo and Luke.
Vader > SauronCrazy
Vader because he turns good again and good defeats evil... and I like him more then Sauron.
Luke = AragornFrown
Why do you do this to me?! They would probably have a friendly spar and talk about fighting techniques.
count Dooku = SaurmanPirate
they would fight until they knock each other out. But Dooku is smarter then Saurman, just for the record.
So in all... I CAN'T DECIDE!
I'm a faithful hobbit and Jedi knight.

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Apr 15 2012, 10:24am

Post #11 of 13 (927 views)
Shortcut
Obi-Wan [In reply to] Can't Post

IS Gandalf!

The Ultimate Tolkien Trivia Quiz: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=so-you-want-to-be-tolkien-geek

Patty
Immortal

May 6 2012, 8:01pm

Post #12 of 13 (2266 views)
Shortcut
I'm trying to remember back to when I first saw both of them... [In reply to] Can't Post

judging them as a movie, not as the sum of their parts. I was so blown away when I first saw Star Wars--I'd never seen anything like that on the big screen. But when I first saw Fellowship--it was seeing my most beloved work of fiction onscreen.

LotR wins.

But as far as the battles go...Star Wars. Although, I'd say Luke Skywalker should be versus Frodo.

Permanent address: Into the West

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jan 7 2014, 4:57pm

Post #13 of 13 (124 views)
Shortcut
LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.