Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What format will you watch the Hobbit in for the first time.?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What format will you watch the Hobbit in for the first time.?
3d
normal
View Results (50 votes)

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Mar 15 2012, 5:26am

Post #1 of 26 (2699 views)
Shortcut
What format will you watch the Hobbit in for the first time.? Can't Post

Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 15 2012, 10:05am

Post #2 of 26 (514 views)
Shortcut
I went for 3D, [In reply to] Can't Post

But I am still undecided.

On one hand, I want to be utterly blown away on the first viewing. The problem with 3D for me though is that if it doesn't work, then it make make the film less "good". 3d also gives me headaches occasionaly, and the glasses really hurt my ears for some reason!

Can't only 1/4 (or some other fraction) not see in 3D. I would be gutted to find out if that was me Wink

I will watch it in 3D, whether it is the first viewing or second, third, fourth...., but I will also watch it in normal 2d aswell.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Mar 15 2012, 10:41am

Post #3 of 26 (514 views)
Shortcut
I went for normal [In reply to] Can't Post

Because like you said it can make or break the movie.I had the same problem with TinTin.The 3d made my eyes sore and the glasses became annoying as the contrast was alot darker with them on.Laugh.On another hand Peter Jackson has gone to great proportions to make the 3d work so i'm juggling both parties for the moment.Cool

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Mar 15 2012, 10:45am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 15 2012, 10:45am

Post #4 of 26 (531 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't say it's going to make or break the film [In reply to] Can't Post

with respect to wordlwide opinions/views. 3D and it's likeability is all a personal choice. I know I am going to love the films, I just don't want to be figgiting/being annoyed by the 3D and glasses.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Mar 15 2012, 10:54am

Post #5 of 26 (533 views)
Shortcut
no, i mean personal comfort wise. [In reply to] Can't Post

It makes or breaks it for me personally anyway.Tin Tin was sooo unenjoyable because of the freaking 3d glasses.CoolLOL
I just hope the first viewing will not be spoilt because of the dark tint from the glasses.It becomes natural for you to take them off because it ruins the immersion immensely.
Having the glasses on is a constant reminder that you ARE watching a movie and it;'s all fake!>Rather than the latter which is looking through the window of MiddleEarth.lol

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Mar 15 2012, 10:57am)

FantasyFan
Rohan

Mar 15 2012, 11:29am

Post #6 of 26 (517 views)
Shortcut
I expect to see it more than once [In reply to] Can't Post

So I went for "normal" the first time - I don't really like 3D, I get headaches at movies easily and I don't want the first experience ruined that way.

I'll probably see it later in 3D just to see what the fuss is about, once I don't have to concentrate so hard.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Mar 15 2012, 2:11pm

Post #7 of 26 (545 views)
Shortcut
Most likely non-3D; but I'm counting on folks here [In reply to] Can't Post

who see it first to post their opinions, and then I'll go when it's been out 2 or 3 days. I really want my first viewing to be truly special, and I'm afraid 3-D might "bump" me into reality, like Avatar did, even though I liked it. But I know P.J.'s will be an advance, so I figure I'll watch the feed back before I decide for sure.

By the way, is that footer quote something you wrote? I really like it.Smile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 15 2012, 5:54pm

Post #8 of 26 (494 views)
Shortcut
3D the first time [In reply to] Can't Post

so that I see it the way PJ wants to present it, then 2D for follow-up viewings (as I don't believe 3D adds to the quality of a film).

Patty
Immortal

Mar 15 2012, 8:35pm

Post #9 of 26 (412 views)
Shortcut
3D, definitely. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am one of the lucky ones who is not made ill by 3D, and therefore it is a special event made even more special by the added dimension. I'm just thinking that ever after when I have to watch it in 2D it will seem "flat".

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 15 2012, 8:38pm

Post #10 of 26 (421 views)
Shortcut
Same with Avatar [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just not been the same since first seeing it in the cinema! Can't wait Cool

Patty
Immortal

Mar 15 2012, 8:42pm

Post #11 of 26 (467 views)
Shortcut
The Avatar 2D blu-ray [In reply to] Can't Post

was very well mastered to the disc. It even seemed to have the added dimension. So, with The Hobbit, much will depend on how the disc is done as to whether or not we'll get a good "forever after" viewing. That's unless you are someone with a 3d TV, that is.Laugh

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 15 2012, 8:47pm

Post #12 of 26 (400 views)
Shortcut
Maybe I should invest in the blu-ray DVD then? [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the DVD before I bought a blu-ray player!

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 15 2012, 8:52pm

Post #13 of 26 (406 views)
Shortcut
Normal. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never seen a 3D movie, and I'd rather not discover that I hate the format in my first viewing of the Hobbit.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 15 2012, 8:56pm

Post #14 of 26 (464 views)
Shortcut
Would you see it in 3D on another viewing? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Mar 15 2012, 8:59pm

Post #15 of 26 (372 views)
Shortcut
oh, absolutely. [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a night and day difference.

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 15 2012, 9:26pm

Post #16 of 26 (424 views)
Shortcut
Probably. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not anti-3D. I'm just unfamiliar with it.

But if it's going to make me queasy or give me a headache or something, I'd rather discover that on a subsequent viewing. My main priority the first time is to see the film.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 15 2012, 9:56pm

Post #17 of 26 (456 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just checking! I'm also tempted to see it in 2D first - just don't want anything to be distracting me!

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2012, 12:42am

Post #18 of 26 (498 views)
Shortcut
If the theater is showing 2D for the midnight showing then 2D [In reply to] Can't Post

if 2D is not available for the midnight showing, then I suppose it will have to be 3D

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Mar 16 2012, 10:56am

Post #19 of 26 (409 views)
Shortcut
Going for 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

Merely because of the technology involved. I have full faith in PJ as a filmmaker and if this new technology is even an inkling as good as I believe, it will highly enhance the experience. 48 frames.... So stoked.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2012, 1:23pm

Post #20 of 26 (447 views)
Shortcut
Will see it several times, [In reply to] Can't Post

but will first view it in 2-D. Saves me the trouble of the glasses, and perhaps avoid large 3-D crowds at the start. However, if 3-D is all that's offered at the start (which seems common these days) I'll go for that.

Chopsta123
Gondor

Mar 16 2012, 10:54pm

Post #21 of 26 (368 views)
Shortcut
3D [In reply to] Can't Post

because that is the way it is intended to be seen.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Mar 18 2012, 10:38pm

Post #22 of 26 (581 views)
Shortcut
3D, because that's the way it's supposed to be seen [In reply to] Can't Post

Later I'll see it in 2D for the sake of comparison, and the joy of not having to wear those glasses.

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 20 2012, 3:16am

Post #23 of 26 (340 views)
Shortcut
We live in 3-D. I want a direct extension of that [In reply to] Can't Post

with TH. A seemless extension. For me i want to be IN the happening, not just outside looking in. That's my story and i'm sticking toit:)

imin
Valinor

Mar 21 2012, 6:40pm

Post #24 of 26 (284 views)
Shortcut
went for 3d aswell [In reply to] Can't Post

though i too think things look darker when viewed in 3d due to the glasses, though i am hoping that is why everything is so so bright and colourful in the vlogs. I never get the headaches from 3d though if the camera is really moving around like its trying to be hand held footage then in 3d i can feel a little sick. But i dont think anything in TH will be filmed like that.

It was meant to be watched in 3d i think, but i imagine i will go twice, once in 3d the other as standard 2d.

Marionette
Rohan

Mar 22 2012, 9:10pm

Post #25 of 26 (315 views)
Shortcut
Dilema... 2D [In reply to] Can't Post

I probably will watch it first in 2D,UnsureUnsure becoz, two hours in 3D is too much for me, I mean, I don´t have issues with my eyes, but constantly I take off the glassses and all that. I don´t like to do anything like that when I watch a film.
And The Hobbit is longer Isn´t it?.

So, yeah, I will watch it 2D first, then I will go again to watch the 3D

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.