Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Pre-order The Hobbit Chess Set!

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 14 2012, 5:54pm

Post #1 of 10 (2015 views)
Shortcut
Pre-order The Hobbit Chess Set! Can't Post

More Hobbit merchandise!

This time, Forbidden Planet have revealed a Hobbit chess set to be in stock this August!

http://forbiddenplanet.com/...he-hobbit-chess-set/

So getting this Wink

Edit: The cover art looks interesting. Is this the final version? The orcs (? maybe trolls!) in the top right look interesting!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Mar 14 2012, 5:57pm)

imin
Valinor

Mar 14 2012, 7:58pm

Post #2 of 10 (547 views)
Shortcut
looks good [In reply to] Can't Post

do you know if anyone else is making chess sets? I have the lord of the rings chess set made by royal selangor, its beautiful with hardwood and pewter chess board with bronze and pewter pieces. I am hoping they are going to make a hobbit version but i am doubtful.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 14 2012, 8:02pm

Post #3 of 10 (568 views)
Shortcut
Always wanted the Royal Selangor chess set!! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I settled for their pewter plates, and the Smaug & Bilbo statue.

If they do not make it, then I would have thought some company will make a high quality chess set. I have the FOTR, TTT and trilogy versions as the link above - they're just plastic, but will be nice to add to my collection!

tolkiennerd
Lorien

Mar 14 2012, 8:21pm

Post #4 of 10 (512 views)
Shortcut
we wants it [In reply to] Can't Post

however I have never won a game of chess in my life but I will still buy it.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 14 2012, 9:06pm

Post #5 of 10 (587 views)
Shortcut
I'm the opposite [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
I can never find anyone to play me that I won't beat (unless I deliberately lose!) and I'm not evern that good!

imin
Valinor

Mar 14 2012, 10:03pm

Post #6 of 10 (527 views)
Shortcut
smaug and bilbo statue [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont have that (and as a student cant afford it, lol) but it sounds like its great, i have most of the pewter goblets although i am thinking of changing my tolkien collection to be more about the books as at the moment its probably 50/50 between royal selangor and then 1st edition books.

Like you say if they dont make it then i would be very surprised if noone else did, so much money to be made i think from people like me, haha.

I like playing chess but i am not very good at all, maybe if i bring the chess set you could teach me :P

on a side note if you have or know anyone who has the 1982 super deluxe edition of the silmarillion one of the first 100 out of 500 then i would be very interested to even see it in pics, (sad i know, lol)

Do you/anyone collect many books/memorabilia?

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 14 2012, 10:08pm

Post #7 of 10 (515 views)
Shortcut
I think there is one on ebay at the moment? [In reply to] Can't Post

Try there - not too sure so don't hold me to it Wink

I'm a student too, but luckily I bought it a couple of years ago, when it was at it's lowest price.

No I don't collect any of the books. For some reason it just doesn't interest me (that much). Sure I would love original first edition of the Hobbit, LOTR and Silmarillion, but for the price they go for I just can't justify spending that much. Although, that's a bit hypocritical of me, as I collected the United Cutlery swords! Laugh I have quite a lot of memorabilia, where do I start!!

And the RS pewter goblets are lovely! Very jealous!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Mar 14 2012, 10:09pm)

imin
Valinor

Mar 14 2012, 10:32pm

Post #8 of 10 (531 views)
Shortcut
do you mean the bilbo and smaug statue or the sil? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have just gone on ebay thinking the 1982 sil was on there but alas no :(

Also is the bilbo and smaug statue like the battle on the bridge of khazad dum royal selangor statue? If so then wow nice find!

Yeah i would love to have first editions of the lord of the rings and the hobbit but i dont have a spare 15,000 haha.

Speaking of united cutlery swords, when i was younger around 14,15 i got one for each of those xmas's. I think i got the witch king sword and the following year sting with the scabbard. I went out and sharpened the witch king one and then started chopping at stuff with my friends haha, then i think when we pretty much smashed a fence with it, it was took away, haha.

Which is your fav united cutlery sword and you looking forward to any coming from the hobbit movies like orcrist?

oh and have you heard of an ancient viking version of chess called Hnefatafl its a good game which is easier than chess to get started with.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 14 2012, 10:39pm

Post #9 of 10 (502 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, my mistake [In reply to] Can't Post

I have just re-checked ebay and their are first editions available, just not 1982 Silmarillion. Sorry for getting your hopes up! Here is the link if your still interested:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/...;hash=item3cc36835ff

Here is the Bilbo & Smaug I have: http://www.hec-eshop.com/...od&productId=978

Ignore the price though, I didn't pay that much for it Wink

I have a couple of the UC swords, and hoping to expand my collection sooner rather than later! Sting has to be my favourite, simply because it is Sting. Did you not ruin your swords doing that?Crazy If Orcrist is release I will def be getting it.

Never heard of Hnefatafl, but will google it now.

Which goblets do you have? I love them!!

imin
Valinor

Mar 14 2012, 10:57pm

Post #10 of 10 (2225 views)
Shortcut
got my hopes up [In reply to] Can't Post

Frownyeah it did get my hopes up, haha. never mind will just have to look for the spare 12000 i have lying under my sofa!

and wow that bilbo and smaug statue is very pricey! definitely good find as you got it cheaper.

I preferred sting to the witch king sword and still do so i kept that safe and clean on the wall of my parents house, much to their annoyance as i dont think they like them much. As for the witch king sword, yh the edges did get a little damaged from being sharpened and then i did kinda trash the blade by stabbing and hacking at everything but at the time it seemed like the obvious thing to do with a sword at 14.

I think i have all the royal selangor goblets apart from the legolas one and then a rare pewter and gold set of champagne flutes. I think my favourite is either the gimli one as i got that again when i was 14 and i think it looks alot like gimli from the movies or one i got last year by my gf which is a special pewter and gold aragorn one, she got it off someone who didnt really know what it was worth and so got it for a great price 40!

I think if they make orcrist decent (im sure they will) then i might be getting that :P

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.