Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Production Video #6: Transcript

RoseCotton
Lorien

Mar 2 2012, 10:42am

Views: 5107
Shortcut
Production Video #6: Transcript Can't Post

To make things quicker and easier for me, I've not included people's names this time. As one of the main reasons for doing a transcript is to aid with translations and the names appear as captions within the video, I didn't think they were necessary, and, amazing though it may sound, it probably reduced the time it took to type by at least 30 mins and maybe as long as an hour. I also didn't try quite so hard as I have in the past to find all of the New Zealand place names.

If anyone does know any of the stuff I couldn't hear or place names I didn't know, please do reply with suggestions!

Welcome to the first blog of 2012. We're shooting part two of The Hobbit today. I'm here in Laketown, but I can't show you anything. I can't show you the amazing set that's over there, and the incredible thing that's over there, because you're not allowed to see that till 2013! But what we can show you are the continuation of our location adventures. So, if you remember from our last exciting episode, we were in Hobbiton, so let's pick it up from where we left off, and travel round the rest of New Zealand.

So, we've just finished our first week on location, so it's goodbye to Hobbiton and hello to our next spot.

Here is the weather: In Pio Pio today, it has, of course, been raining.

Yeah, welcome to [location name], people. We've brough the weather with us, which is great.

We don't have the umbrellas in the movie by the way, just in case you're wondering.

Nah, you see the colours clash.

What's kinda weird is that you're on sets in the studio, and they look so real, but you come out on location, this almost looks fake because you think this can't exist. It's just weird.

It's a trick -- It's a trick -- It's mind games -- It's done with mirrors.

It's a very nice environment. There's some nice stuff up in there. It's just gonna be a bit lumpy getting stuff around; building stuff on rocks, and bits and pieces, but it'll be nice. Good location.

I'm just worried about the, erm, about the dinosaurs.

So, here we are at the Turoa ski-field on the flanks of Mount Ruapehu. This is the second oldest national park in the world.

Very ancient vegetation. Magnificent colours. Magnificent textures, but very fragile. And, hence, we've gone to exceptional lengths to actually make sure that the impact on the site is minimised. So, it's about scaffolding. It's about elevated boardwalks to keep people off the vegetation.

We've build the world's biggest ramp as far as I'm concerned to get down to the thing.

Everybody sort of walked to the edge this morning and, sort of, jaws dropped and went: Wow, okay. So, that's how we get onto set today.

So, this is my favourite location. It's beautiful. There's a mountain, there's a waterfall. There's a beautiful view across a valley there. It's one of those, sort of, archetypal Kiwi places that you think, God, New Zealand has such amazing landscapes.

It's a bit sad when the grips are going faster than I am, and they're carrying everything.

Andy Serkis jumped in the icy cold stream, chased the fish as Gollum about, er, twelve years ago. Just over there.

So, welcome to the first day on location with second unit.

I've spent quite a lot of the last few weeks in a chopper, because a lot of our stuff was aerial coverage. We'd take off and choose our line, and choose the way we were gonna shoot it, and how we were gonna reveal the landscapes.

So, we're using the SpaceCam on all the aerial stuff on the show. This particular rig is set up for 3D.

There's a chopper behind me isn't there?

The bonuses of being on second unit is that we do a lot of locations that are too tricky or time consuming for main unit to go to, so a lot of our locations were helecopter-only access, so we got very good at loading in and out of choppers.

So, you've got literally two units that are now criss-crossing the country, both the north and south islands. About half way through our location shoot, first and second units met up, and it happened to be exactly half way through the entire shoot--day 127--and we commemorated that with a hoodie: a half-way hoodie.

But it's 127 days, and, er, it's two films. Now, I've got 133-day Lord of the Rings jumper which was for three films. So, 133 days for three films, and 127 days for two films.

Yes, easily explained -- How? -- We're all ten years older, so we're going a little slower -- Ha, that's true.

One of the challenges was showing PJ what we'd been up to. So, every day I'd then do a kind of edit of the takes that we'd done, and put them together and make some selects, and then that would be sent off to Pete.

We are a long way from most of the infrastructure that we know and love, so we've had to rely on satellite technology to do all of our connectivity.

These are the three dishes that we're setting up today to provide internet for the crew. We're providing wireless and internet. We've also got a separate set up that's up at the director's tent that's beaming in footage from second unit. It basically takes the feed that coming in from the cameras, compresses it, sends it over the internet all the way through down to Peter's tent.

So far we've probably used about six kilometres of cable on the job. I'm not sure where it's all gone, but we keep on ordering more of it.

Strath Taieri, Central Otago. This is a location where you can literally shoot 360 degrees, every direction. We've had some incredible skies; what we'd call Close Encounters of the Third Kind skies. And, where our skies are a little boring, because we've shot over three days, we'll probably replace them with these cool skies. I'd love them to do that; get some real mood into it. One of the days of shooting on this location was actually up on the hill. It's something called the Rock and Pillar Range. If you just look over there, pretty much that distant ridge-line between those two rocks. That's what they call the Rock and Pillars, where we had to have ten helicopters ferrying crew, cast and equipment up the mountain.

This is Adam Brown's first helicopter ride -- Oh my God -- Are you so excited? -- I'm well excited -- You should be.

So, we're packing up at the end of our location shooting here at Strath Taieri, and going to Queenstown.

Here we are! Beautiful Queenstown. We're just at the base of, outside the [location name], which is the most spectacular shooting location I think we've been to yet.

We're shortly gonna do a rendition of the hills are alive with the sound of music, starting with Mark [lastname] over there. You can see he's getting into his Maria position. There he is.

It's snow!

Bare feet was a bad choice.

And we've been to Paradise before. That's where we shot a few scenes of the Fellowship of the Ring mainly, back in 1999. Lothlorien forest. Boromir's death.

The great thing about this job is to see beautiful, beautiful places like this.

So, you don't have to feel sorry for actors, leaving home for seven and a half weeks when we're very, very well looked after. The catering on this movie has been sensational.

The numbers we were doing on location were between three- and four-hundred, until we got to Twizel. Then we were doing five-seventy, five-eighty, because we had quite a few extras there as well. We cook 100, at least, kilos of meat every day. One of the guys worked out that we'd been through a tonne of oranges already.

It's Formal Friday today, so we're dressed in suits. It's one of the only ways for the crew to know what day of the week it is. Every morning, we crank out about 200, 300 coffees.

We're heading off to the hills to look after a crew of about 100 people who have all been choppered in up into the mountains. It being in the mountains, there's snow around, so it's cold, so obviously, in formal dress, sometimes it's not practical, so as you can see here, Andrew has gone from a three-piece to a four-piece with the addition of a nice, cosy puffa jacket, because you can't always look good; sometimes you have to be sensible.

Sometimes you take for granted the scenery, the country where you live, so we come out on the road. It's really amazing.

Good morning! -- I can't believe how nice it is -- We're the luckiest [?] people in the world -- We're the luckiest people. I don't think it comes into people, not how you restrict it.

New Zealand looking its spectacular best, and a lot of very happy actors cavorting around in front of it.

Braemar Station was pretty difficult working conditions for both the cast and the crew, because the tussock and the ground is very uneven.

This is [name of bush], a New Zealand native thorn bush, which is everywhere you ever want to walk.

You can't just parade through the tussocks and the rocks and the pebbles without looking and suddenly realise that being out of doors in Middle-earth can be a difficult business, particularly when there's a pack of orcs or wargs.

Dances with wargs -- Heavenly wargs -- The boy who cried warg -- Aliens versus wargs -- I was a teenage warg.

Enormous amount of running.

Scene 88 is I think actually going to be a third film coming out between the first and the second.

It's actually, for the most part, it's easier working inside a studio, but, of course, you know, the studio doesn't have the incredible vistas. And that's what we were there for.

Eight kilometres from Mount Cook surrounded by the guys behind me. Unbelievable.

This is the [location name] bridge over the [location name] river where we are shooting today.

I think my favourite day on set, unquestionably, was floating down the [location name] river in barrels.

Finally gonna put our dwarves in barrels. It looks like fun: I'd do it myself... if I wasn't busy doing other things.

Today we're swinging over the river. We've got some dwarves coming down in barrels.

That was way cool, and, if they ever make that a ride, in the Warner Brothers Movie World, lifetime pass please.

While we were at [location name], our location shooting came to a pretty dramatic end because the police arrived and said they were about to issue a severe weather warning...

Okay, we need to shoot please. It's raining. We need to get going.

.. And I've never seen a crew pack up their gear so quickly. The very next day, everywhere where we were standing, where our equipment was, our cameras, our actors--the director!--was under flood water. It was incredibly dramatic. The rise in the river level was, like, twenty, thirty feet.

And that's location!

So, that's the end of our location shooting, and we are about to go into our last hundred days; what we're calling Block Three. And I look forward to talking to you again very, very soon.

Subject User Time
Production Video #6: Transcript RoseCotton Send a private message to RoseCotton Mar 2 2012, 10:42am
    Because doing this was my priority... RoseCotton Send a private message to RoseCotton Mar 2 2012, 10:50am
        No, no, never lower your priorities! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Mar 2 2012, 11:11am
        thank you! titanium_hobbit Send a private message to titanium_hobbit Mar 2 2012, 11:43pm
    resolving the [?] irreality Send a private message to irreality Mar 2 2012, 8:25pm
    Once again... what you've done is wonderful! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 4 2012, 5:16pm
    Thanks RoseCotton ninquelote Send a private message to ninquelote Mar 5 2012, 6:46am
    can someone explain this sentence. Chopsta123 Send a private message to Chopsta123 Mar 6 2012, 3:11pm
        The Sound of Music is a movie... RoseCotton Send a private message to RoseCotton Mar 6 2012, 3:27pm
            thanks Chopsta123 Send a private message to Chopsta123 Mar 6 2012, 3:39pm
                thanks Aniel Send a private message to Aniel Mar 15 2012, 7:19pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.