The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Traveling to Wellington for the Hobbit premier

mjgValar

Feb 24 2012, 7:34pm

Post #1 of 7 (7863 views)
Shortcut
Traveling to Wellington for the Hobbit premier Can't Post

Hi folks,
I'm planning the "trip of a lifetime" for my family. And I need input from anyone that attended the LOTR premier.

Though I don't think I can get movie tickets for the actual 1st night Hobbit premier, we'd love to attend the parade (if any) and at least see the movie before the rest of the world. Currently, the only time-frame that has been publicly shared, is "late November 2012." That's a little nebulous for me to book plane tickets.

I'm concerned that if there are any delays in the movie's release, we'd be in Wellington without the ability to actually watch the movie. I'm considering two Wellington arrival dates (Thursday, 11/29/2012 or Thursday, 12/06/2012). December 6th seems to be the safest. If there's any delay in the release, we'll probably be able to at least see the movie - though we'd miss the parade (if any).

Though we'll be spending 7 days in New Zealand, I was planning for 2 days in Wellington. So, I'm soliciting opinions from the Kiwi members of TORn.
Which 2 day window should I plan for?

Thanks a bunch!

Moahunter
Rohan

Feb 25 2012, 9:10am

Post #2 of 7 (793 views)
Shortcut
Wellington premier date. [In reply to] Can't Post

There seems to be no hard info. on this.
Your best bet is to put off making any bookings until much later in the year.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Feb 25 2012, 5:08pm

Post #3 of 7 (1117 views)
Shortcut
Don't wait til Thurs 6th Dec... [In reply to] Can't Post

if you want to be there for the actual premiere. IIRC, the RotK premiere was on Dec 1st, and it has been said that The Hobbit premiere will be 'late november'. So if you don't arrive until Dec 6th, you'll have missed it.

Otherwise, no specific dates are known yet - so I'd keep your plans as flexible as you can for as long as you can! Smile

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

The Elf Artist
The Shire

Feb 27 2012, 8:23pm

Post #4 of 7 (652 views)
Shortcut
There two different events [In reply to] Can't Post

There's two different dates. The "late November" refers to the premiere in Wellington for the cast and crew. While that event will have the parade, pomp, and circumstance, the actual tickets will not be going on sale for the general public til the worldwide release date of December 14th. (My friends in Welly and Auckland were quick to correct me that the public won't be in to see the film before the worldwide release date.)

Hope that helps!

mjgValar

Feb 27 2012, 10:29pm

Post #5 of 7 (726 views)
Shortcut
That's incredibly helpful [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you SO much for the info. This will help me re-plan the trip!

The Elf Artist
The Shire

Feb 28 2012, 4:12am

Post #6 of 7 (1598 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

At least it's what my spies on the ground in Welly are telling me. :) But I've been reading some things that might prove otherwise, so hang loose. We all may just have to do the same until we get some official word (I know I'm waiting too, I'm planning to go the November premiere myself).

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Mar 19 2012, 6:19pm

Post #7 of 7 (5357 views)
Shortcut
Wellington Hobbit premier [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely understand the frustration! I've booked my stay in Wellington to cover the last weekend in November and the first weekend in December just in case. If it's other than that, well, I guess I'll have to try to re-do my ticket. For those who don't have that much time available, I suppose the only option is to wait until the exact date is announced. Then, of course, the mad dash for the airline tickets will begin. I've had to book mine so far in advance because 1) I have to give my workplace advance notice of my absence and 2) I live in Hawaii so I have limited options on flight times to New Zealand. I will be back in Hawaii for the general release of the film, and of course will be in the front of the line for that! Here's wishing good luck to all of us planning on being there for the World Premier!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.