Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn's Design...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bladerunner
Gondor

Feb 21 2012, 11:21pm

Post #1 of 32 (2505 views)
Shortcut
Beorn's Design... Can't Post

I've been wondering for a while how "human" Beorn will look when not in bear form. My speculation is primarily based on the closeup of that picture posted on the wall in the background of one of the production videos, and secondarily on the notion that since Beorn is an enigma, the designers (including del Toro) could have been tempted to get very creative in interpreting his human appearance.

I wonder if Beorn's reveal will be the most controversial of all of the characters (including any of the dwarves), and if some people will freak out when they see him.

Should we brace ourselves for what is coming? or do you expect his human guise will just be that of a big burly man? What would you consider going too far?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 21 2012, 11:27pm

Post #2 of 32 (1176 views)
Shortcut
I think he'll be a giant... [In reply to] Can't Post

An interview with Persbrandt revealed Beorn's height (I can't remember how tall he was, but it was pretty big), I'm expecting a nearly inhuman giant of a man. But still aesthetically human.

...and hairy Tongue

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

duats
Grey Havens

Feb 21 2012, 11:35pm

Post #3 of 32 (1164 views)
Shortcut
I hope not [In reply to] Can't Post

I just want a nine-foot-tall man with a thick black beard and a wool tunic. Simple but striking iconography.

(This post was edited by duats on Feb 21 2012, 11:35pm)

Finrod
Rohan

Feb 22 2012, 12:09am

Post #4 of 32 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Oh really? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I just want a nine-foot-tall man with a thick black beard and a wool tunic.

And how long have you felt that way, pray tell? ;-}

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

Bladerunner
Gondor

Feb 22 2012, 12:16am

Post #5 of 32 (1084 views)
Shortcut
Ha!, Que chistoso! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

duats
Grey Havens

Feb 22 2012, 12:20am

Post #6 of 32 (1095 views)
Shortcut
I see what you did there [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

(This post was edited by duats on Feb 22 2012, 12:20am)

daemoon
Rivendell

Feb 22 2012, 12:28am

Post #7 of 32 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Blondie [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone else worried with the possibility that we will get a blonde Beorn? :(

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Feb 22 2012, 12:55am

Post #8 of 32 (1096 views)
Shortcut
He should be a very large man [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing more, nothing less.

If they try to add any alien-isms to him, it will be very disappointing.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Feb 22 2012, 12:55am

Post #9 of 32 (1137 views)
Shortcut
I'm not worried. no ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

But since he is Swedish and is supposed to be Nordic, then I would say blond (or light brown) is the way to go :)
Dark haired men are few up here in the cold north ;)
No dark haired vikings have ever walked upon this earth :)

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Carne
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2012, 12:58am

Post #10 of 32 (1156 views)
Shortcut
3 meters tall, according to this interviewer: [In reply to] Can't Post

Interview run through Google Translate:
http://translate.google.com/...10090034&act=url

Bladerunner
Gondor

Feb 22 2012, 1:14am

Post #11 of 32 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Wow, It'd be interesting to see how Peter Jackson choreographs the multiple tall and short stand-ins and stunt doubles.... [In reply to] Can't Post

and what other optical illusions he will employ for the scenes that include the wizard, the dwarves, the hobbit and Beorn.

If McKellen has Tall Paul as his stand-in, then who will Persbrandt have? - Giant Bryant? ;0).

duats
Grey Havens

Feb 22 2012, 1:18am

Post #12 of 32 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Ever since seeing that concept art on the wall [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I've been living with that concern Unsure.

Who knows? That might not have been Beorn at all. And if it was, perhaps it was an early concept. But if Beorn ends up being anything other than black-haired/black-furred, I will be extremely disappointed. There's just no reason to change that detail.

(This post was edited by duats on Feb 22 2012, 1:22am)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2012, 1:23am

Post #13 of 32 (1069 views)
Shortcut
If they do share shots together with no CG trickery [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine they'll use the short doubles for the dwarves, a double just under the average human height for Gandalf (5'7-5'9?) and a really tall person as Beorn (like 7ft tall, so maybe Tall Paul with some tall shoes ?).Tongue

(This post was edited by Carne on Feb 22 2012, 1:26am)

Bladerunner
Gondor

Feb 22 2012, 1:46am

Post #14 of 32 (1057 views)
Shortcut
I've been somewhat apprehensive about it too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I could picture del Toro with sketch pad in hand, pondering the meaning of this mysterious, shape-shifting isolationist, while conjuring up various creatures from his nightmarish and vivid imagination in an attempt to visually personify (or further mystify) this creation.

I suspect the character of Beorn may have proven too tantalizing of an opportunity for the wilder impulses of del Toro's imagination to pass up....

(BTW - this is not intended to be a negative criticism of del Toro; nor am i suggesting that del Toro's concept/vision of the character is what will ultimately be used; however, I do believe that his influence will have carried over into the final version of Beorn's design).

(This post was edited by Bladerunner on Feb 22 2012, 1:54am)

Longbottom Leaf
Lorien

Feb 22 2012, 2:07am

Post #15 of 32 (1103 views)
Shortcut
I'm more concerned about... [In reply to] Can't Post

how Gandalf will introduce all the dwarves to Beorn. I find it hard to envision the movie spending that time to show Gandalf tell Beorn the story that we just witnessed on screen. It's great on the page but I suspect something different will happen in the movie and it"s a shame. "Mr. Baggins saw then how clever Gandalf had been. The interruptions had really made Beorn more interested in the story,and the story had kept him from sending the dwarves off at once like suspicious beggars. How will this be handled? I have a feeling that Radagast might be the link to Beorn taking in the dwarves and Gandalf rather than the lengthy story and two at a time intro that Gandalf had to manufacture. I"m not a fan but I imagine something other than what was written will take place at this point in the story. I"m pretty stoked to hear Beorns "rolling laugh" though! Hope they can get that down at least.

The best weed in the southfarthing!

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 22 2012, 3:58pm

Post #16 of 32 (834 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I'm with you on this [In reply to] Can't Post

However, since he doesn't actually transform in front of Bilbo and the dwarves, I doubt we're going to see some cliche sort of were-bear in the first film. Will they deviate from the book and actually have them get a peek at him as he travels in bear form? Maybe. I think it would be better to have hints of his alternate form throughout their encounter, and then the big reveal is in Bo5A.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 22 2012, 4:07pm

Post #17 of 32 (830 views)
Shortcut
I like the sound of that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have hints of something following them (whether or not they are aware that it is Beorn). And then have the totally epic reveal in BoFA. I just got even more excited Cool

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Feb 22 2012, 4:46pm

Post #18 of 32 (903 views)
Shortcut
No blonde hair, please. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dark hair . . . hair that matches his fur as a bear.
I Do Not want to see a big, blonde bear.

"I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!"

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Feb 22 2012, 4:49pm

Post #19 of 32 (875 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . they have those stilt suits.

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 22 2012, 4:56pm

Post #20 of 32 (841 views)
Shortcut
That's a good point! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam20
Lorien

Feb 22 2012, 4:57pm

Post #21 of 32 (829 views)
Shortcut
A tall and stout fellow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope to see a tall and stout fellow with dark or brown hair and beard. I think they can do something good with Beorn but I dont want to see a giant either.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Feb 22 2012, 4:59pm)

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Feb 22 2012, 5:16pm

Post #22 of 32 (833 views)
Shortcut
Thanx. [In reply to] Can't Post

To my surprise, I occasionally come up with one Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 22 2012, 5:18pm

Post #23 of 32 (993 views)
Shortcut
I never thought about a blonde bear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although would a shapeshifter need to keep the same hair colour? Unless the production team have changed Beorn to a polar bear? Wink

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Feb 22 2012, 5:35pm

Post #24 of 32 (812 views)
Shortcut
Polar bear? ACK! This is not the Golden Compass . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

I see the Beorn from the book . . . a dark-haired giant that turns into a great bear with dark fur.

I suppose you don't have to keep the color the same, but Prof. Tolkien did, so I think you do.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 22 2012, 6:43pm

Post #25 of 32 (796 views)
Shortcut
hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Middle-Earth Consipiracy Theory for you:

Maybe PJ and co are going for a polar bear, so that the real reason Beorn joined in the Battle of the Five Armies was that orcs/Sauron etc were contributing to climate change!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.