TORn's Observations Lists

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2007, 8:45am

Post #127 of 179 (4700 views)
Shortcut
Stare away! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what it's there for. Smile

It's at times like these I realise how lucky we all are to have TORN, and this community. And it's thanks to you that we have the new boards, and they've been such a huge success I think. So you deserve your time staring at the map. Have you decided where you're going to put it yet? I noted plenty of nice white walls in those pictures, just asking for a Reeve original to decorate them ...

*Dissolves into pile of sentimental gloop*

Fox Glacier

IMG_1244

Tyler
Lorien

Sep 24 2007, 10:07am

Post #128 of 179 (4679 views)
Shortcut
I had heard so much about it i. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad to see that you love it .and to see the finished project very cool.

Never doubt that a small group of peple can change the world indeed,that is the onely thing that ever has......Margaret mead

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 24 2007, 10:50am

Post #129 of 179 (4722 views)
Shortcut
In the words of the immortal bard: In the end [In reply to] Can't Post

...the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Which I'm interpreting to mean this: Your map--our gift to you and BG--is special because of your repeated gifts to us as a community. You have already given us the great gift of this manifestation of Torn, which is our favorite place, our safe harbor, and often our home.

All we did was give you a map of the place.

Whoa. I'm getting all sentimental. Time for a smiley.

a.s. (turns up "Abbey Road", final track)

"an seileachan"

"Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope. Nothing which is true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history; therefore we must be saved by faith. Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore we must be saved by love."
~~~Reinhold Niebuhr

Lossefalme
Gondor

Sep 24 2007, 1:19pm

Post #130 of 179 (4670 views)
Shortcut
The suspense was killing me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't have Internet access yesterday and it was driving me crazy! I've been sitting here crying on and off as I'm reading everyone's posts and this photo album was the last straw (in a good way). I just gave myself over and let myself go. These are so wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing them. Gobsmacked is definitely the word of the day. Your entrance was priceless! It couldn't have been better. I can hardly wait for the video! I'm so sniffly and watery thatI'm haveing a hard time seein the screen - I just wanted to say thank you to all of the Conspirators and especially to Altaira and Inferno. TORn is such a wonderful, welcoming place and it is this magnificent, giving community that makes it that way. {{{Hugs}}}

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2007, 1:38pm

Post #131 of 179 (4763 views)
Shortcut
Here's some of the early planning stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been going through the files on my computer and I've got some of the early suggestions we sent to Daniel, and the drafts he sent back to us. I'm trying to compile as much as I can into a coherent history that we can share.

The file called mapdossier.doc is, I think, the first list of suggestions we sent to Daniel. I've attached it to this message.

Out of this soup, as Tolkien would say, Daniel crafted his first draft. We exclaimed and Squee'd over the draft, made some suggestions, then did the same with the second draft. I've got most of those documents. If anyone wants them, I'll be happy to e-mail them. Some of you have been kind enough to send me the Digest from the old Yahoo group, which will be a huge help.

If you want the early drafts and documents, my e-mail is ent_maiden at hotmail.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows
Attachments: map dossier.doc (94.0 KB)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 24 2007, 2:03pm

Post #132 of 179 (4629 views)
Shortcut
*mods up... still squeeeeeeeing!* Thanks Entmaiden!!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 24 2007, 2:31pm

Post #133 of 179 (4755 views)
Shortcut
Not only have I been squeeing [In reply to] Can't Post

over the presentation of the map and all, I've been squeeing over our trip to NZ and Australia in March. Supposedly our tour (first half of the Red Carpet tour) includes breakfast with Daniel -- and I will be sure to tell him how greatly appreciated his work is! (Yes, I know, I keep mentioning this. Am I excited or what?)

It feels so good to get together with friends and do something nice for someone special, I can't understand why so many people in this world would rather be vindictive, bitter, and hateful.

Thanks for all your hard work, Altaira and BG.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2007, 2:46pm

Post #134 of 179 (4684 views)
Shortcut
Lily, be sure to send Daniel an e-mail to tell him [In reply to] Can't Post

that you were part of the project. I'm sure he'll look forward to meeting you. His e-mail is mail at danielreeve.co.nz

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 24 2007, 3:05pm

Post #135 of 179 (4662 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was only a very small part of the project, but I'll certainly convey the regards of the group.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2007, 3:15pm

Post #136 of 179 (4721 views)
Shortcut
We were all only a small part [In reply to] Can't Post

But all those small parts added up to a very wonderful thing. Your contribution was just as valuable as anyone. Besides, I think Daniel would be excited to meet one of us - he had a lot of fun, too.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Annael
Immortal

Sep 24 2007, 4:43pm

Post #137 of 179 (4660 views)
Shortcut
I keep wanting to say [In reply to] Can't Post

"I didn't have that much to do with it really - I just had a very small part!" Do we all feel like that?

I just happened to be lucky enough that my tiny part involved the actual presentation! But I felt a bit like an imposter - or no, more like the understudy with no experience who got tapped to go on stage when the real star was taken ill and couldn't go on.

Outside a dog, a book is your best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
- Groucho Marx

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Patty
Immortal

Sep 24 2007, 5:01pm

Post #138 of 179 (4665 views)
Shortcut
"... I can't understand why so many people in this world would rather be vindictive, bitter, and hateful. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lily, this is so true. When I think about how great we all feel being able to show love to Altaira and BG for the wonderful things they've done for us, then I think about the series that I watched part of last night, called "War" (about WWII) I just can't understand it. I'd so much rather feel love than hate.

For Gondor!

Annael
Immortal

Sep 24 2007, 5:13pm

Post #139 of 179 (4683 views)
Shortcut
one thing I find intriguing about reading or watching war stories [In reply to] Can't Post

is how many soldiers always remember the tremendous bond they formed with each other while under fire. It's said to be the strongest bond humans can experience.

It makes me feel better about people to think that even in the worst of circumstances, we seek connection with one another.

Outside a dog, a book is your best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
- Groucho Marx

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 24 2007, 5:18pm

Post #140 of 179 (4679 views)
Shortcut
Entmaiden, you are a wonder! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said elsewhere in this thread, your nick was well-chosen. Your care for growing things, like the seeds of the map, shows in this compilation.

Just for grins, here's the old Colorado map. I turned it backwards and colored everything below 5400 feet blue, and was amazed how much it looked like Middle Earth:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And here's what it looked like when I rotated and stretched it a bit to make it look even more like Middle Earth:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

When I first did this, I had fun thinking about correspondences: the town I work in is about where Rivendell would be, for example.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Patty
Immortal

Sep 24 2007, 5:50pm

Post #141 of 179 (4644 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's true. But... [In reply to] Can't Post

when I look at how we are all friends now with the Japanese and Germans, and Italians I wonder why did so many have to die before we could find a way to get along? Forgive me, I'm going to let this drop, cause I don't want to crap on a thread that has so much love in it, the way things SHOULD be.

For Gondor!

Patty
Immortal

Sep 24 2007, 5:53pm

Post #142 of 179 (4657 views)
Shortcut
I just want to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

That the Squee! picture is now my new desktop wallpaper!

For Gondor!

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2007, 6:04pm

Post #143 of 179 (4636 views)
Shortcut
"environmental impact study "...LoL! [In reply to] Can't Post

At least one ohter person here really "gets that"!

Good one! Smile

DoN
Heart

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 24 2007, 8:47pm

Post #144 of 179 (4617 views)
Shortcut
Would it be possible [In reply to] Can't Post

to add some of the closeups posted on the Yahoo board (I'm thinking especially of the Fox and Dol Admin)?

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 24 2007, 9:01pm

Post #145 of 179 (4629 views)
Shortcut
RosieLass put them up on her own photobucket site [In reply to] Can't Post

If you PM her she would probably list the site here, or at least post those photos.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 24 2007, 9:08pm

Post #146 of 179 (4609 views)
Shortcut
*grin*// [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 24 2007, 9:27pm

Post #147 of 179 (4645 views)
Shortcut
Here are the two you asked about. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b33/TrespassersW/TORN%20Map/Foxy.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b33/TrespassersW/TORN%20Map/DolAdmin.jpg

And here's Elvis:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b33/TrespassersW/TORN%20Map/Elvis.jpg

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 24 2007, 9:32pm

Post #148 of 179 (4614 views)
Shortcut
Thank you!! [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite examples of the level of detailed wonderfulness on this map!

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 24 2007, 10:01pm

Post #149 of 179 (4631 views)
Shortcut
Great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

It'd be perfect to have a face for him to connect to the list of names... Brilliant!

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 24 2007, 10:05pm

Post #150 of 179 (4636 views)
Shortcut
That's how the players describe their bond [In reply to] Can't Post

in LotR... like being i a battle together and forming brother-bond and life-long friendships. They still get together whenever they can. It's a great analogy.

sample sample

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.