Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Noble Collection Chess Set

lucianop

Feb 20 2012, 3:09pm

Post #1 of 15 (5258 views)
Shortcut
Noble Collection Chess Set Can't Post

I purchased chess set from ebay. The Certificate of Authenticity was missing. Is there anybody out there who can help me get one? Since I did not purchase from Noble Collection, they will not send me one without an order number. If I had this number they would send me one.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 20 2012, 3:39pm

Post #2 of 15 (550 views)
Shortcut
Best bet [In reply to] Can't Post

is to email the person that sold it to you. Did they advertise it as new or used. Will you be using it, or keeping it as a collection item? It's only ever going to be a problem if you want to re-sell it

lucianop

Feb 20 2012, 3:51pm

Post #3 of 15 (577 views)
Shortcut
Noble Collection Chess Set [In reply to] Can't Post

Seller said it was new in box. Set is in mint condition. I am a collector and wanted to get the certificate to add to my collection. The Noble Customer Service rep said they would send me this certificate only if I purchased from them.
So anyone who bought this could call and get a new certificate.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 20 2012, 4:48pm

Post #4 of 15 (483 views)
Shortcut
but... [In reply to] Can't Post

say I had the set. I could call and get an extra certificate but if it is tied to my set, that means the duplicate I give to you lessens the authenticity of my set.

If it is just a 'generic' authenticity, then it still proves problematic because I don't know that your set is authentic. I would be helping you provide authenticity so that your possibly inauthentic set would seem more valuable than it is - and could serve to possibly defraud another purchaser in the future.

I think Noble has it right. As a consumer, you wouldn't want them giving certificates to sets they don't know are authentic. You may feel your set is authentic but if the certificate is that important to you, you should return it to the seller.

But I don't think you should essentially bypass the certification process - which is set up to maintain absolute certification - or ask one of us to participate in doing so.

And I would be careful what steps you take to obtain a certificate because if you use a devious method to obtain the certificate and then use it to sell the set in the future, you could be in legal trouble.

If you are not planning to sell the set then what does the certificate matter? It only matters if you wish to place value on the set and it only has value if you sell it.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 20 2012, 4:50pm)

lucianop

Feb 20 2012, 5:08pm

Post #5 of 15 (522 views)
Shortcut

I have no plans of selling this set. I never new it came with a certificate untill I saw another set posted with a picture of the certificate. I bought this set below the selling price of what Noble wanted for it. I just wanted to get the certificate because it would add to my collection display. I have a very large display of collector items. Anyway that is what collecting is all about. Trying to fill empty voids in your missing collection.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20 2012, 5:13pm

Post #6 of 15 (519 views)
Shortcut
I think you should contact the seller [In reply to] Can't Post

It's possible they have the certificate. However, as Magpie said, getting a certificate from a different set is dishonest and does not validate your purchase.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 20 2012, 5:30pm

Post #7 of 15 (583 views)
Shortcut
Definitely contact the seller [In reply to] Can't Post

and ask where the certificate is. If your really not happy, send it back to them and then purchase one off of Noble.

lucianop

Feb 20 2012, 7:43pm

Post #8 of 15 (527 views)
Shortcut

I like your idea of contacting the seller. I will do this and hope he has the certificate. My only concern
is that these sets were made in 2001, and the seller is not the original owner. He probably pick this up
from an Estate auction. Not many people would pay $500.00 for a chess set. I am in this category,
62 years old and have money to burn. The seller is in business and sells many other items on ebay.
As for sending it back. I would never do that. I saved at least $150.00 on this set. For me to buy from
Noble would cost $500.00 plus $20.00 shipping and handling. I am very happy with the set. I have it
displayed in a glass bookcase along with many other collction pieces.
I reposition the different chess pieces evey week. The set is truly a work of art. I just hope I can finish
it off with the certificate.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 20 2012, 7:51pm

Post #9 of 15 (478 views)
Shortcut
Confused [In reply to] Can't Post

You said in your previous post that the chess set was new in box? Does this mean completely new, or someone had bought it, opened it, then boxed it back up (i.e. like new, not used)? Otherwise, it is a bit strange that the certificate isn't still in the original box.

I'd probably pay the extra money just so I knew what I was getting. That's just me though Sly

Edit: what I'm asking and should of worded better, is: when you recieved the box was it completely new (i.e. never been opened before).

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Feb 20 2012, 7:55pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 20 2012, 9:11pm

Post #10 of 15 (515 views)
Shortcut
No way this could be a fake? [In reply to] Can't Post

I notice that no one is addressing the possibility that this item could be a fake. Would it be unthinkably difficult for this to be the case?

At any rate, without the certificate of authenticity, I think that the claim of "new in box" can be considered to be false advertizing and a good reason to return the set for a full refund, if that is what you decide to do.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 20 2012, 10:18pm

Post #11 of 15 (534 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that is what I was trying to tease out with my last post [In reply to] Can't Post

Although didn't want to directly suggest that they had bought a fake Crazy

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 28 2012, 3:10pm

Post #12 of 15 (408 views)
Shortcut
Has there been any outcome? / [In reply to] Can't Post

lucianop

Feb 28 2012, 3:32pm

Post #13 of 15 (544 views)
Shortcut
Noble Chess Set [In reply to] Can't Post

I have given up hope. I wanted to get the certificate and place it in a frame with my other collectables.
My other items in my collection will keep me happy. My favorite is the program from Madison Square Garden when I went to see The Fellowship of the Ring with Howard Shore.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 28 2012, 10:41pm

Post #14 of 15 (603 views)
Shortcut
Madison Square Garden or Radio City Music Hall? // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 29 2012, 7:54am

Post #15 of 15 (5697 views)
Shortcut
What did the original seller say? [In reply to] Can't Post

If it was advertised as new in box and mint condition then the certificate must be somewhere. I would be kicking up a right fuss!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.