Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Telling Real Merch from fakes

gabachino

Feb 15 2012, 1:57am

Post #1 of 7 (4486 views)
Shortcut
Telling Real Merch from fakes Can't Post

Hey folks,

I am pretty new to the whole collecting memorabilia stuff, but I finally make enough where I CAN go buy neat stuff. So, as it says on the tin, How do you tell real stuff from the fakes? In Particular:

I want a Narsil or Anduril, from United Cutlery, but as I scour ebay, even the ones that SAY UC look different. Is there a website or place that has them all documented, what they look like, the plaques they come with, how the C.O.A's are supposed to look?

Second, I would also really like a ring of Barahir, And I have seen about 1000 of them on ebay, all cheap. I also found the one from the Noble Collection, for about $129.99, which is the "real" one, right? The more expensive ones say they are made with Sterling Silver, while the cheap ones say copper, with a platinum plating. but THIS one is my question: http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item4cfa7a8b72

It says it is an official New Line Cinema, but just italian. But it's also stupid cheap and says a Silver PLATING. Are they blatantly lying, or did Noble Collection make them for Italy? Either way, What should an official Noble Collection Ring come in, box wise, and how should it look, back of the ring wise?

I appreciate your time in reading and look forward to your response!

(This post was edited by gabachino on Feb 15 2012, 2:04am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 15 2012, 9:01am

Post #2 of 7 (368 views)
Shortcut
A bit of help [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there gabachino

I can't help you with the Ring of Barahir as I have never bought one, nor really looked at any merchandise made by Noble Collection. I can give you some advice about the UC swords though.

If you want to check what a 'normal' UC sword looks like, I would simply google 'Lord of the Rings United Cutlery' and that will give you plenty of websites with images to real UC swords. I have bought both UC swords and fake swords off of ebay and never had a problem. If the seller provides a picture of the sword (and box etc) then it's (probably) real. All the fake swords I have bought come in normal boxes - not fake UC boxes to match that of the real ones.

There aren't that many swords available on ebay at the moment, so can't really give any examples. However this seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/...;hash=item20c2407bb0

Is selling a real UC sword. If you want further confirmation perhaps email them asking for further photos (if they can give you them). The price also gives it away. Perhaps being a bit naive here, but I've always found ebay sellers to be (fairly) honest. If they were selling a fake sword, it wouldn't be up for that price.

Another sign of a fake sword is the blade itself. UC swords are matte (not sure that's the right word, but it fits). Fake ones tend to be really shiny.

I hope some of this helps?!

reags
Rivendell

Feb 16 2012, 3:49am

Post #3 of 7 (338 views)
Shortcut
UC also come with certificates of authenticity [In reply to] Can't Post

...which is really a folded piece of printed paper.

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

gabachino

Feb 19 2012, 12:49am

Post #4 of 7 (257 views)
Shortcut
Ah, I see. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your responses,

I was hoping the lotr community had pictures set up somewhere that had all the merchandise, even if it was just from peoples collections. I am honestly kind of surprised. But I appreciate the time you have taken to reply.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 19 2012, 10:27am

Post #5 of 7 (264 views)
Shortcut
If your desperate [In reply to] Can't Post

I can take some pictures of mine for you. But at the moment they're are packed as I'm moving house so you would have to wait a while? You should get a pretty good idea by just googling real and fake LOTR swords. I would have thought that somewhere on the www there will be pictures of people's collections.

If your ever concerned, just post a link here and we can help you decide whether they are real/fake etc.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2012, 8:35pm

Post #6 of 7 (304 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen this? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if it's updated often, but several board members have posted their collections here. Good luck collecting, and welcome to TORN!

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 19 2012, 9:40pm

Post #7 of 7 (2983 views)
Shortcut
I think gabachino is looking for pictures, though [In reply to] Can't Post

for comparison to verify authenticity of items.

It's a great idea but it just takes someone to do it. I always figure the person who wants it bad enough will take on the project. :-)

gabachino, I don't have the Ring but I have an Elven brooch from Nobel. I just don't have it handy to check to see how the paperwork compares and I figure you were on a 'need to know now' schedule.

Let me know if you are highly interested in seeing a scan of my paperwork - in which case I'll carve out some time to see what I can hunt down.

But I agree with one of the other responses here. Google is your friend. Google images is a better friend. Lots of people have taken pictures of their items and I'd wager there are some of the Ring or of other Nobel paperwork.

good luck

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.