A Conspiracy Unmasked
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 23 2007, 3:21am

Post #51 of 179 (4799 views)
Shortcut
Here was my first reaction [In reply to] Can't Post

when I saw the photos RosieLass took a few days ago. I sent this to Entmaiden for her to pass on to Daniel:

When I was trying to explain this project to my dad I mentioned that the old boards were getting creaky, and that the Altairas and Inferno had created new boards. He said "Creaky? I thought this was the Internet. You make them sound like real things." Of course they're real things! And this map is a perfect picture of the beauty of the new boards. I'm so thrilled to see a map of a very real place that I've loved since the First Age. The details are great! For some reason I especially like UUT there on the plains of Udun. And the ship sailing to the West brings tears to my eyes. Thank you, Daniel, for realizing the vision so wonderfully! I try to explain the TORn boards to people, and they can't see what I see. With any luck, someday I'll have a print to hang up in my office so people can see for themselves what a special place this is. Altaira and BG are going to be, as squire once said, gobsmacked. I'm soooo looking forward to seeing the looks on their faces this Saturday!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Sep 23 2007, 3:27am

Post #52 of 179 (4802 views)
Shortcut
Squeee! LOL! *tears up* Thank you, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's almost like being there! Everyone looks so happy, I was LOL'ing just looking at the photos!

The birthday cake was a nice touch.

Is that guacamole? Now I *really* regret not being there. ;-)

And no one's mentioned your hat yet? Nice hat! :-)

I'm so glad that you were all able to go, and thank you so much for the documentation! Squeeee!!!!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 23 2007, 3:41am

Post #53 of 179 (4802 views)
Shortcut
I wore that silly hat [In reply to] Can't Post

to every showing of all the LotR movies I went to. So it seemed just the thing.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 23 2007, 3:47am

Post #54 of 179 (4764 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful, wonderful pictures! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the next best thing to being there.

The best is the sequence of Altaira opening the package. I just held my breath! Then the "money shot", which is what this whole wonderful project was all about!

Looking forward to those videos!

PS: I believe "Forbidden Planet" is going to be on TCM tomorrow (check your local schedule, etc.)

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Frodo Hoy
Bree

Sep 23 2007, 3:52am

Post #55 of 179 (4775 views)
Shortcut
The report and photo links are all appreciated. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so happy to see Altaira had the reaction many imagined she would have. She deserves to be delighted. She was. We all share the joy as a result.

This idea and the execution of it was cool - very, very cool.

"From some way off, or so it seemed, he thought he heard a cry: 'Hoy! Frodo! Hoy!' .. 'Frodo! Hoy!' came the thin voices out of the mist."

Fog on the Barrow-downs

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 23 2007, 3:53am

Post #56 of 179 (4766 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and the birthday cake [In reply to] Can't Post

was RosieLass' idea. I brought 144 candles, but they wouldn't fit, of course, so we used blue and yellow candles to make 144 in binary instead.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2007, 4:12am

Post #57 of 179 (4738 views)
Shortcut
*catches breath* [In reply to] Can't Post

*wipes eyes* This is - so perfect - oh, what a moment to treasure!!!

Thank you, Altaira and BG!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Urambo Tauro
Rivendell

Sep 23 2007, 4:39am

Post #58 of 179 (4833 views)
Shortcut
Re: A Conspiracy Unmasked [In reply to] Can't Post

A Conspiracy Unmasked - how appropriate. Wink As Merry put it, "...we have kept our eyes open, and done a good deal of planning on our own account."

What a day; that sounds like it was a lot of fun.
The pics and video are great! The map as well - beautiful work!

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 23 2007, 5:37am

Post #59 of 179 (4814 views)
Shortcut
so glad it all came off so well! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's pretty amazing, when you stop to think about it, that we managed to keep this secret and safe for eight months...

These new boards were a gift to all of us, and I am glad we were able to work together to say thank you in a way that meant so much. It's been a true Fellowship effort for a most worthy member of our Fellowship!

Here's to you Altaira and here's to a wonderful community!

Weaver

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2007, 6:00am

Post #60 of 179 (4709 views)
Shortcut
Priceless :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

FarFromHome
Valinor

Sep 23 2007, 7:12am

Post #61 of 179 (4723 views)
Shortcut
Worth waiting for! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great project this has been, I'm so glad everything worked out so perfectly!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2007, 8:32am

Post #62 of 179 (4749 views)
Shortcut
"Of course they're real things!" [In reply to] Can't Post

As I am reading through all these posts and looking at these photos, tearfully, I want to share the links with my fellow Tolkien friends I just left an hour ago at our own annual Bilbo & Frodo Birthday Party. Many of them are real fans of Daniel's work, too. Many love TORn's front page and check-in almost everyday. But none (accept Elizabeth) have been on the message boards. They would love the map but wouldn't get the references.

I fear that folks who don't participate in this kind of community, don't really get what it can be llike and the friends you can make on line. I love having a conversation with someone thousands of milles away. Stretch it over time and wonderful things happen. It certainly is real... I look at it like: if I had never been a pert of TORn, I might have the same perspective. I just don't think that anyone outside this community can grasp how "real" it is. Alas!

"Creaky" is a great word for the old boards. Smile

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 23 2007, 12:27pm

Post #63 of 179 (4810 views)
Shortcut
Here's the dialog that preceded this moment. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was too wound up last night to remember all this, but I woke up this morning with it playing through my mind. Here's how it unfolded.

Altaira and BG opened the package and looked at it, bemused. Altaira said later she thought at first "Oh, a nice map of Middle Earth." Then it dawned on her exactly what she was seeing.

She turned it around and said "How did you guys do this?"

Entmaiden replied "We didn't. Daniel Reeve did."

And that's when she made this face.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2007, 12:58pm

Post #64 of 179 (4801 views)
Shortcut
ooo... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"...You make them sound like real things."

Of course they're real things! And this map is a perfect picture of the beauty of the new boards.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Sep 23 2007, 1:00pm

Post #65 of 179 (4771 views)
Shortcut
"144 in binary"? You win Geek of the Week for that! ;-) /NT [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2007, 1:09pm

Post #66 of 179 (4802 views)
Shortcut
So many mind-blowing images! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can feel the excitement! It's palpable even in these frozen moments!! But I have to say this is one of my favourites that represents these special women...

Altaira in the beginning of the insanity as she tries to sort out what's going on, and Entmaiden's face as she subconsciously shows how overwhelmed she is with her hand literally holding in her emotions. Her selfless efforts and incredible talent to keep us all focused and moving forward was astounding to me!

Without the inspiration and contribution in the beginning way back in February, this would never have happened. I feel so blessed to be a part of this and share it with so many amazing people. This map represents so much for me... but ultimately, it's the souls who brought it together through their participation on the boards and now in borning this exquisite representation of who and what TORn is that thrills me! Thank you all!!

Now... that said... I WANT ONE!!!! *slaver, slurp*

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2007, 1:10pm

Post #67 of 179 (4703 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand-clapping!* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2007, 1:12pm

Post #68 of 179 (4762 views)
Shortcut
Oh, just set the thing on fire! [In reply to] Can't Post

Being a new home, I'm sure there was an extinguisher around somewhere ;)

What a great idea to have a cake!

No ice cream?

;)

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2007, 1:14pm

Post #69 of 179 (4728 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the heads up!! *jots down TCM* [In reply to] Can't Post

I put all the pics in my 'puter and advance through them really fast... which makes it ACTION SHOTS! *twitter*

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2007, 1:19pm

Post #70 of 179 (4691 views)
Shortcut
That's so cooooool! *snigger* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

Alnilam
Rivendell

Sep 23 2007, 1:22pm

Post #71 of 179 (4728 views)
Shortcut
Tee hee!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so happy to read the report. As everybody else, I wish I could have been there, but we wouldn't all have fit in their house. :-P

It was great following it through the thread and pictures, and "Priceless" is a good description of this whole adventure.

Thank you Altaira, BG and Inferno for all your hard work.

Alnilam's Realm
From the Old TORN Boards: Top 5 Browsers/OSs:
1. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (1568)
2. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (890)
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (464)
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98 (175)
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (136)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2007, 1:24pm

Post #72 of 179 (4726 views)
Shortcut
No Doubt! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know there were a few times when I hit "send" on some responses then flew into an absolute PANIC when I thought I'd sent it where Altaira would see it! OMG! DORK ALERT!

Thankfully, and incredibly, we really did keep it secretly safe, didn't we?

YAY US!!!! *pats monitor on back*

sample sample

Morwen
Rohan

Sep 23 2007, 1:25pm

Post #73 of 179 (4721 views)
Shortcut
Those are perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

We can see the entire seqence of events. I love the ones of everybody taking turns posting on TORN. Somehow, that sort of brings the rest of us to the party with you. Thank you so much for keeping your finger on the camera button.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've heard your anguish, I've heard your hearts cry out
We are tired, we are weary, but we aren't worn out
Set down your chains, until only faith remains
Set down your chains--Jewel

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2007, 1:29pm

Post #74 of 179 (4738 views)
Shortcut
Oh... It's great to see you [In reply to] Can't Post

and AWESOME that you went to a Baggins Party!

Well said on the friends we've made here and how others (woefully) won't get what the map is at all. There's no denying, however, that it's still gorgeous and that it's surreal to have the cartographer/calligrapher for The Lord of the Rings make one juuuuuussssst foooooorrrrrr US! :D

*fluffs hair* We rock... that's all...

HUGS!!!

sample sample

Annael
Immortal

Sep 23 2007, 2:15pm

Post #75 of 179 (4756 views)
Shortcut
exactly right! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say, when I saw the map, I felt like something much larger had happened than we had expected. It truly is a magical thing.

I think it is the hand of Eru. Just as it was when Tolkien found his little story about what happened to Bilbo after he came home getting away from him, and allowed it to go where it wanted to go (although still hanging on to Tom). Just as it was when PJ et cie found themselves revising the script "closer to the book" over and over again. Just as it was with all of the cast and crew.

Personally I believe God is Love, and that's what it all boils down to. Sounds like most of you managed to feel the love that was in Altaira's living room yesterday no matter how far away you were physically. I'm glad you got to share that. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. And we all felt that it wasn't us. It wasn't even Altaira. It was Love - our love for Tolkien and our love for TORn made manifest.

(We told Altaira there were a lot of people standing and facing West at 1 pm Mountain Time) ...

Outside a dog, a book is your best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
- Groucho Marx

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.