Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Fantasy Casting....with a twist.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 11 2012, 3:53am

Post #1 of 24 (2074 views)
Shortcut
Fantasy Casting....with a twist. Can't Post

What with all the fuss over Tauriel and the debate over whether more women are or are not needed in the movie, DanielLB's amusing troll-casting a few threads down the page got me thinking....
Who would you cast in the gender-inverted version of The Hobbit?

Who would play Bilba? Would Dame Maggie Smith make a good Thorine, or is she a better fit for Gandalfa? Anne Hathaway or Keira Knightley for Legolass? How about that glamorous Elf-Queen Thranduiel?

Who's in your Femine Hobbit Dream Cast? Laugh

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 11 2012, 4:06am

Post #2 of 24 (725 views)
Shortcut
I'd put Dame Maggie as Gandalf... [In reply to] Can't Post

and Helen Mirren as Thorine.

And we have to get Dawn French in there somewhere!

Julie Walters might make a good Bilbo.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 11 2012, 4:13am)

Delrond
Rohan

Feb 11 2012, 4:45am

Post #3 of 24 (703 views)
Shortcut
I'd say [In reply to] Can't Post

Maggie Smith would be a great Gandalfia.

Kate Hudson as Legolass.

Helen Mirren as Elronda.

Brooke Shields as Thranduilus.

Judi Dench as Thorine.

Angela Lansbury as Radagastia.

Janet Reno as Beornia.

George Clooney as Galadren.

Drew Barrymore as Frodette.

Betty White as Saruwoman.

Rhea Perlman as Bilbette.

Ryan Gosling as Tar Ellicus.

Nancy Pelosi as Bolg.

Laugh

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 11 2012, 4:46am

Post #4 of 24 (697 views)
Shortcut
Legolass - Tilda Swinton. [In reply to] Can't Post

She has the other-than-human down pat.

Bilba - Judi Dench. (Might as well, as Ian McKellan said Ian Holm looked like Dame Judi when his skin had been pulled back under his wig.)

Thranduiel - Elizabeth Hawthorne. (She was the housekeeper in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe who terrified the Pevensie children.)

Thorine - Candice Bergen. (When she plays it straight, she can be foreboding.)

Oin - Betty White.

Gloin - Miriam Margolyes (Professor Sprout in Harry Potter).

Bombur - Dawn French.

Beornita - Dame Maggie Smith.

Bardette - Signorney Weaver.

Galadrield - Michael Sheen.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 11 2012, 4:47am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2012, 6:47am

Post #5 of 24 (675 views)
Shortcut
Ohhh, fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to think about it a bit, but I agree with Magpie about Julie Walters and Dawn French; love them!

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 11 2012, 3:45pm

Post #6 of 24 (643 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad I inspired you to make the thread [In reply to] Can't Post

But I wasn't joking about the troll-casting Tongue

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 11 2012, 5:43pm

Post #7 of 24 (614 views)
Shortcut
Have to have both French & Saunders! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCYbRUmzIb0

Patty
Immortal

Feb 11 2012, 8:10pm

Post #8 of 24 (590 views)
Shortcut
Cast Dawn French as Thomasina Bombadill... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I definitely see Saunders as Grima Wormtonga.

Permanent address: Into the West

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 11 2012, 8:54pm

Post #9 of 24 (566 views)
Shortcut
Good idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Just don't get Taymor to direct it, please. I still have a bad taste from The Tempest.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 11 2012, 8:59pm

Post #10 of 24 (569 views)
Shortcut
Stephen Fry (Melchett) as Grima Wormtongue...oh, wait..../ [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 11 2012, 9:07pm

Post #11 of 24 (571 views)
Shortcut
Keith Lemon [In reply to] Can't Post

as Gollum...

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 11 2012, 9:51pm

Post #12 of 24 (566 views)
Shortcut
Although I just realised that wasn't gender-inverted [In reply to] Can't Post

oops!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Feb 11 2012, 9:52pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 11 2012, 9:52pm

Post #13 of 24 (550 views)
Shortcut
Margaret Thatcher [In reply to] Can't Post

as Smaugalina

Marionette
Rohan

Feb 12 2012, 2:02am

Post #14 of 24 (516 views)
Shortcut
Fun [In reply to] Can't Post

Maggie Smith definitely for Gandalfa
That´s a great one.

Thorine for Helen Mirren, she has the attitude.

Thranduiel, Yeah, Cate Blanchett, she´s such magestic elf

Kate Winslet for Bilba or Froda

For Legolass, well, many stunning young actress out there... Megan Fox?

LOOOL

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2012, 4:49am

Post #15 of 24 (536 views)
Shortcut
Moaning Myrtle (Shirley Henderson) from Harry Potter as Gollum/ Francesca Annis as... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Moaning Myrtle has a lot of Gollum-ness (Tongue) about her: talking to herself, feeling put upon and self-pitying, but also manipulative. They can both be pitiful and threatening by turns.

Francesca Annis (Dune and Cranford), who is beautiful, steely, and impressive, would be great as Thandruil.

I can't possibly imagine anyone but Maggie Smith as Gandalfa.

Cate Blanchett as Elrond (a bit of the ol' switcharooWink) She is soooo elvish, she would have to be in it somewhere.

peleowyn
Rivendell

Feb 12 2012, 5:52am

Post #16 of 24 (522 views)
Shortcut
It would be nice... [In reply to] Can't Post

... To see little Georgie Henley in there somewhere! :)

"Look! There is light, and beauty up there, that no Shadow can touch!"

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2012, 10:36am

Post #17 of 24 (508 views)
Shortcut
Judi Dench! [In reply to] Can't Post

Little Judi Dench. Such a clever little Judi Dench....Sorry, sorry, can't help it. That sketch ruined me forever. Tongue

I agree, she'd make a great Bilba, but then we'd have to have the age argument again, wouldn't we? Or we can just make this a true fantasy cast and use people from any era.

In which case, I'm nominating Audrey Hepburn for Legolass. Laugh

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2012, 10:38am

Post #18 of 24 (525 views)
Shortcut
But I was amused all the same. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just imagine the Purist heads exploding if Bert, Tom and William turned out to be female. See? Amusing. Evil

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2012, 10:40am

Post #19 of 24 (501 views)
Shortcut
That's a good idea for Gollum. And I keep thinking.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Imelda Staunton would make a good dwarf, but which one?

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 12 2012, 10:42am

Post #20 of 24 (512 views)
Shortcut
Even funnier [In reply to] Can't Post

If they were very very feminine trolls. You know, scratching, pulling blonde hair, mascare running down their eyes, short skirts etc. Cool

(no offensive to any readers by the way)

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Feb 12 2012, 10:43am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 12 2012, 6:27pm

Post #21 of 24 (471 views)
Shortcut
Your game, your rules! :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 13 2012, 8:32am

Post #22 of 24 (432 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Imelda Staunton - excellent character actress!// [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 13 2012, 9:13am

Post #23 of 24 (452 views)
Shortcut
Haha! That's one way to go; men seem to like a good cat fight:D [In reply to] Can't Post

I had been thinking of something along the lines of a trio of Hyacinth Bucket types (pronounced Bouquet, you knowWink) from Keeping up Appearances. They would torture the dwarves with thier bad singing, stories about their dear Sheridan, and threats of a candlelight supper.

For those unfamiliar with Hyacinth, here's a short clip.

http://www.youtube.com/...Y&feature=relmfu

Symbelmine
Rohan

Feb 13 2012, 5:12pm

Post #24 of 24 (937 views)
Shortcut
Some of the characters aren't from The Hobbit but from LOTR: [In reply to] Can't Post

Elronda- Cate Blanchett
Legolas- Saoirse Ronan or Evanna Lynch
Thranduiel- Tilda Swinton or Gwyneth Paltrow
Frodione- Emma Watson
Elladana and Elrohira- Liv Tyler and Gemma Arterton
Pippina or Merry- Georgie Henley
Arwen- Ben Barnes
Galadriel- Richard Armitage

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.