Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit Production Locations
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ceppault
Bree

Feb 10 2012, 2:47am

Post #1 of 26 (4093 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Production Locations Can't Post

Hobby of mine following the production locations of these two movies. Most unlikely I will be visiting New Zealand soon, thus I pin the locations on Google Maps and I can give places a virtual visit.

The Hobbit Production Locations on Google Maps:
http://maps.google.com/...pn=0.004738,0.009345

I would like to be updating regularly, and I do attempt to provide credit and links to more information. Comments and corrections are welcome.

I may not provide absolute precision in locations and consider this a general guide. Tour companies provide a wealth of information as reported in personal blogs and come highly recommended. Safe bet there will be a book detailing locations around December 2012 Smile

Generated similar maps for The Chronicles of Narnia movies. Paradise, New Zealand is also seen in Prince Caspian.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 10 2012, 3:00am

Post #2 of 26 (1352 views)
Shortcut
This is brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice job of not just mapping the locations, but including related information and/or short quotes.

Some of the members here started a list a while ago here. It looks like maybe the only one you don't have that they listed is Mangaotaki Rocks/Denize Bluffs - Trollshaws (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52078)

Thanks for sharing your great efforts with us, and welcome to the discussion boards! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

ceppault
Bree

Feb 10 2012, 3:29am

Post #3 of 26 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Thank you :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Muchly appreciated, thank you. Smile

Have been lurking the message boards for some time. Still getting accustomed to the navigation.

Edited the Denize Bluffs entry on the map.

Added a location for Rock & Pillar, New Zealand with link. Still looking or more information on this location.

(This post was edited by ceppault on Feb 10 2012, 3:32am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 10 2012, 4:17am

Post #4 of 26 (1275 views)
Shortcut
Wow, this is nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's a treasure-trove for anyone planning a visit! Thank you for sharing this! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 10 2012, 4:22am

Post #5 of 26 (1284 views)
Shortcut
That's brilliant [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for sharing it!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2012, 8:09am

Post #6 of 26 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, ceppault! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you for the very good information. Yes, I'm sure there will be a location guidebook written eventually, but we are pretty impatient people at TORn, so this is fun! Thanks again!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 10 2012, 10:53am

Post #7 of 26 (1270 views)
Shortcut
Now surely, TORn has no excuses? [In reply to] Can't Post

Where's our locations list, TORn?? Wink

(Or maybe we could just sticky this thread?)

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Feb 10 2012, 10:56am)

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2012, 12:16pm

Post #8 of 26 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely fantastic ceppault!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'v been wanting to see something like this for ages!!!

(just couldn't be bothered to do it!..... Unimpressed)

Thanks sooo much Smile

Glorious!!

"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama"

Let us then continue Tolkien's Legendarium!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 10 2012, 5:54pm

Post #9 of 26 (1192 views)
Shortcut
There were only 4 or 5 locations [In reply to] Can't Post

on the list from the other thread (most thanks to you QT). Smile ceppault has gracefully consented to make this a bit of a feature, so look for it on the Home Page soon.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 10 2012, 6:01pm

Post #10 of 26 (1225 views)
Shortcut
*jaw drops* Bless you! This is incredible! [In reply to] Can't Post

The old geek-o-meter has just spiked and nailed the needle!

Thank you so much for doing this AND for sharing it with us! I'm truly amazed!

*bows deeply*

Wow!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Feb 10 2012, 7:08pm

Post #11 of 26 (1187 views)
Shortcut
Or for those of use who love maps and want to get an idea of what's happening! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good Job! Thanx!!!Shocked

(I wonder which location was used for Beorn's . . . Paradise on the SI, maybe?)

"I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!"

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

ceppault
Bree

Feb 10 2012, 11:05pm

Post #12 of 26 (1190 views)
Shortcut
Updates [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the nice comments. It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling to be in the company of like-minded geeks. *group hug* While I know my wife loves me dearly, she fails to appreciate such things as much as I do. Glad I can share this with everyone here.

Wanted to thank QuackingTroll for a post on the board about locations. That helped.

Pinned the location of Stage B at Stone Street Studios. Various sources suggest this to be the right location.

Added Harwoods Hole which is near the carpark for Canaan Downs. Gave a link to pictures of Harwoods Hole on Flickr. That is one big hole. Makes me think of a Gollum or Smaug home. Smile

Carne
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2012, 11:12pm

Post #13 of 26 (1180 views)
Shortcut
The latest vlog show a map with loads of locations. [In reply to] Can't Post

You could take a look at that and add them to yours Smile

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 11 2012, 2:49pm

Post #14 of 26 (1168 views)
Shortcut
Good to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

On a less related note, someone mentioned the idea of a countdown to The hobbit on a main page. Any chance we'll see this sometime soon? Smile

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

ceppault
Bree

Feb 11 2012, 7:39pm

Post #15 of 26 (1172 views)
Shortcut
First three movie production locations [In reply to] Can't Post

These are still a work in progress. I lost a head of steam in moving this along as other events in life came along. Good word choice, Xanaseb; just could not be bothered. Blush Following along the production of The Hobbit has given me steam to get back on the task.

The Fellowship of the Ring:

http://maps.google.com/...004a1adf73066df1a120

The Two Towers:

http://maps.google.com/...004a1ad4daf043408034

The Return of the King:
http://maps.google.com/...004a1adeba6e470bb6ca

Again, these maps need some work under the way I like to keep things organized. Don't mind sharing them now Smile

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2012, 8:16pm

Post #16 of 26 (1147 views)
Shortcut
This is google maps, right? Am I right in thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

any of us who have visited these places that you've pinpointed can post location photos with the map so anyone else who googles the location can see them? (starts to get really excited at the possibilities, trying to contain the sqwees). I know there are photos posted from sites all over the world, but is this the first dedicated LOTR film list?! So, not only would we have these aerial maps, but fans could also see what it looks like on the ground?

I've started putting together photos for something like this just for the sites around Wellington and want to add cultural/historical info on the locations, too, for another website. We've had lots of TORn forum members take tours of NZ in the past few years, so there must be lots of good photos - with and without action figures. (ha!)

Is this what you were hoping would happen, ceppault; that you and anyone else could take a virtual tour? My favorite book on our shelf when I was a child was the huge World Atlas and my favorite (paper) magazine was National Geographic. It's a new century. Now I have goose bumps.

Editing this now as I went on to your TT list and googled Edoras, and I'd say there were enough photos there already to give an excellent idea of what it is like. That was one of the best days of my life.

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Feb 11 2012, 8:24pm)

ceppault
Bree

Feb 11 2012, 9:02pm

Post #17 of 26 (1117 views)
Shortcut
You have the idea right, Lissuin [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed, a virtual tour that is readily accessible by any LOTR geek that may come by here. This is Google Maps. The images that are uploaded to Panoramio (http://www.panoramio.com/) will show up on Google Maps and Google Earth. Not sure exactly how to do that, but it is certainly possible. When other members of TORn make the pictures available, it adds much to the personal experiences we can share. Cool

There are various lists floating around, but none that I have found comprehensive and all in one place such as Google Maps. That experience of watching the movie, seeing a location, and asking, "I wonder where that is?" Go to the respective map and click on the location = virtual tour of sorts.

Generated the same sort of maps for The Chronicles of Narnia movies released over the last seven years. Paradise, New Zealand has had quite a bit of activity over the last 15 years.

mulubinba
Rivendell

Feb 11 2012, 9:11pm

Post #18 of 26 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Love it!! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is great!!

When we were in NZ last year, we tried to imagine which areas might be used in the filming. We weren't too far off in South Island, but I'm still keen to know what Lonely Mountain might look like.
Smile

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2012, 2:59am

Post #19 of 26 (1070 views)
Shortcut
I concur! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

tis a great idea

"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama"

Let us then continue Tolkien's Legendarium!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 12 2012, 3:21am

Post #20 of 26 (1120 views)
Shortcut
A great idea that *has* been discussed [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's just a matter of finding the time to do it. But, yes, I think it's a 'must have' as we've always had similar count-downs on the site. Stay tuned

Nightingale
Rohan

Feb 12 2012, 10:52am

Post #21 of 26 (1051 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks sooo much for this, It really helps with remembering what/where all of the different locations are, and being able to put them in context. Street-view is an added bonus. I particularly enjoyed 'standing' on Pelorus bridge and looking at the river! Smile

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

ceppault
Bree

Feb 13 2012, 5:26pm

Post #22 of 26 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Looked at the production video. Need to get access to a much higher resolution computer than the ones I have access. It blurs badly when I pause it.

ceppault
Bree

Feb 14 2012, 1:33am

Post #23 of 26 (997 views)
Shortcut
Updates to locations: [In reply to] Can't Post

Forgive me if this amounts to spam. Learning the forum etiquette still.

Okahune, Ohuto Station, New Zealand
http://maps.google.com/...004b8e1e14045b4f84bc

Mount Ruapehu, Turoa Ski Area, New Zealand
http://maps.google.com/...004b8e22087a81dd8428

Links provided to information sources.

Scot Down South
The Shire

Feb 14 2012, 2:10am

Post #24 of 26 (1007 views)
Shortcut
Mt Crawford - Miramar location [In reply to] Can't Post

There was an earlier thread about a site on the Miramar peninsular (site of old movie set). Search threads for "Another set being built (in Miramar/Wellington)" from 11th Jan 2012 as I don't know how to create a link to it.

Having visited a few weeks ago when the set was under construction my guess is it for the "out of the frying-pan into the fire" episode as it is in a clearing partially surrounded by tall pine trees.

I am not aware this has been officially listed so far. No mention either of re-using Kaitoke country park north of Upper Hutt for Rivendell set as in LOTR.

ceppault
Bree

Feb 14 2012, 4:14pm

Post #25 of 26 (968 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Scot Down South! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a link to that discussion.

Another set being built (in Miramar/Wellington)
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=417611#417611

With many thanks to those having the discussion in that topic and Moahunter bringing it up.

Miramar Peninsula, Wellington, New Zealand
http://maps.google.com/...004b8ee9eea657f20422

Production does seem to be rather quiet about formally naming a location. Can't say I blame them. Smile

(This post was edited by ceppault on Feb 14 2012, 4:20pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.