Billy Connolly is DAIN
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 9 2012, 2:01am

Post #26 of 176 (1850 views)
Shortcut
I'm delighted that they have cast Dain. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really couldn't see how they could skip his role.

I'm reserving judgment on Connolly. I have not seen any of his serious performances, and Dain's character isn't a humorous one. So we'll see.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Feb 9 2012, 2:41am

Post #27 of 176 (1807 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Connolly is a charismatic and likeable presence...and he's actually Scottish, (as is Graham McTavish), so they're part Dwarvish already (since, for some reason, JRD decided at some point ten years ago that Dwarves are Scottish). Tongue

But the question remains...will he outdo his seminal role in "Muppet Treasure Island"?...Speaking of which, I suppose there isn't anything left for Tim Curry since the cast is now "complete"? How about a cameo as a young Arwen?

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Feb 9 2012, 2:44am)

LordMaximus
Rivendell

Feb 9 2012, 2:48am

Post #28 of 176 (1792 views)
Shortcut
Try the boondock saints for some bad ass connelly // [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Feb 9 2012, 2:55am

Post #29 of 176 (1822 views)
Shortcut
Good choice, if it couldn't be [In reply to] Can't Post

Brian Blessed.

Permanent address: Into the West

redgiraffe
Rohan

Feb 9 2012, 3:07am

Post #30 of 176 (1796 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I was worried that they wouldn't have Dain or the army in the movie. But this pretty much confirms that they will.

And if anyone thinks he's just a funny man I can assure you that he is not. He played a serious character in Last Samurai and as someone else mentioned.... Boondock Saints!

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

WrathOfCaradhras
The Shire

Feb 9 2012, 3:11am

Post #31 of 176 (1822 views)
Shortcut
Everyone seems to be forgetting [In reply to] Can't Post

his role in Muppet Treasure Island!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Feb 9 2012, 3:12am

Post #32 of 176 (1861 views)
Shortcut
No need [In reply to] Can't Post

Here he is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1enmyAmpik

Perfect, IMO. I love this bit of casting.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Feb 9 2012, 3:20am

Post #33 of 176 (1790 views)
Shortcut
He can also do serious [In reply to] Can't Post

And silent (and loud)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyB3Unj9j_Q

He's actually a very good (and underrated) actor.

I'm pleased. I only wish a couple actors of his caliber were among Thorin's 13!

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Feb 9 2012, 3:28am)

alienorchid
Lorien

Feb 9 2012, 3:23am

Post #34 of 176 (1782 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't sure at first [In reply to] Can't Post

when I first saw the headline, since I don't really like Connolly as a comedian, but after remembering that he was in Boondock Saints I actually look forward to seeing him as Dain :D

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 9 2012, 3:45am

Post #35 of 176 (1858 views)
Shortcut
He's 69. Richard Armitage is 40. [In reply to] Can't Post

But according to Appendix A.III of The Lord of the Rings, Thorin is 21 years older than Dain.

Anyway, here is Connolly in Mrs. Brown.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Feb 9 2012, 3:56am

Post #36 of 176 (1758 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great clip. Laugh

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 9 2012, 4:23am

Post #37 of 176 (1767 views)
Shortcut
My doctor sent me a clip of his standup about colonoscopy prep before I had mine [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the funniest things I've ever seen. But can he do dramatic acting? Dain's not a particularly funny role.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

reags
Rivendell

Feb 9 2012, 4:38am

Post #38 of 176 (1756 views)
Shortcut
Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if Dain will have a Scottish accent? Tongue

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

Gwytha
Rohan

Feb 9 2012, 5:12am

Post #39 of 176 (1726 views)
Shortcut
I had assumed all the dwarves would have Scottish accents. [In reply to] Can't Post

The idea of Bilbo travelling with all the Scots speaking Dwarves really pleases me. Has it been confirmed one way or the other whether the Dwarves will have Scottish accents?

Growth is less a matter of change than of ripening, and what alters most is the clarity with which we see one another-Edith Pargeter

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 9 2012, 5:33am

Post #40 of 176 (1694 views)
Shortcut
Yay! I love Billy Connelly; he's an excellent actor, both comedic and dramatic.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 9 2012, 5:42am

Post #41 of 176 (1696 views)
Shortcut
He was in Mrs Brown... that wasn't comedic. // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Feb 9 2012, 5:53am

Post #42 of 176 (1696 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps Pj will give us a promo shot of DAIN IRONFOOT>! [In reply to] Can't Post

That could be really awesome.I;d say a new Blog and a Promo shot of Dain IRONFOOT! wouldn't go unnoticed.What do you guys expect he;d look like.Traditional or Unique.???
I hope he looks a mixture of both.Only a fraction more prosthetics than Thorin and more Hardened and stern in the face like Oin OR Gloin.He should look like a descendant of Thrains family and then push a bit more of Gloin /General Dwarven Characteristics.Weapon of choice.A HUMONGOUS Battle axe that you'd only see on Skyrim.He needs to be a hacker rather than a slasher and also a Bulldozer.He must despise Elves.As soon as Thorin calls for him he should be ready and tensed like he wants to Punish an elf and Daydreams about it regularly.Like one of those Dwarves (Bullies) Who hang around the shopping mall WIth his Posse and when stuff goes down with the Elves (Pretty boy jocks) Itt goes absolutely DOWN>There should not be a hint of weakness in DAIN IRONFOOT!>Laugh

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Feb 9 2012, 6:02am)

Milknut
Rohan

Feb 9 2012, 5:54am

Post #43 of 176 (1727 views)
Shortcut
I knew I'd read his name in connection to the role SOMEWHERE....// [In reply to] Can't Post

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Feb 9 2012, 6:15am

Post #44 of 176 (1732 views)
Shortcut
Merciful.??? [In reply to] Can't Post

You could be right on the matter,however i would just like to think that Both Thorin and Dain share equal amounts of sheer ignorance and only want their Treasures back,at least that';s what it felt like reading the book.Like Gangwarfare when someone calls for assistance they usually contact someone on the same page as them.For instance they would want someone who would be after the same goal and would not reason with noone until they get what they want.This is the type of ferocity needed in this scene.At this stage Thorin feels betrayed,out numbered and above all feels like the world is against him.He calls for Dain for that release support.Dain is there to help Thorin not to give an Elf or Lakemen MERCY>I doubt it is all i'm saying.Wink

So what Thorin at this given time is actually feeling is:Right so all you useless fools are against me even the Tiny BURGLAR who i thought was utterly useless from the start.I shall call someone worthy of my liege and presence.
I very much doubt he would call someone with a Merciful heart especially when he is MERCILESS himslef.He is Thorins cousin as well.He has grown up in a Merciless upbringing.Cool

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Feb 9 2012, 6:22am)

maut
Rivendell

Feb 9 2012, 6:19am

Post #45 of 176 (1664 views)
Shortcut
FINALLY! [In reply to] Can't Post

So there is nothing more to worry about for me. Smile

Far over the misty mountains cold

To dungeons deep and caverns old

We must away ere break of day

To seek the pale enchanted gold.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Feb 9 2012, 6:20am

Post #46 of 176 (1669 views)
Shortcut
Yes he can [In reply to] Can't Post

He was excellent in Mrs. Brown and Boondock Saints, where he plays very serious roles far more convincingly than a lot of A-list actors on the screen today.

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 9 2012, 6:24am

Post #47 of 176 (1657 views)
Shortcut
Billy Connolly IS Dain!// [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 9 2012, 6:26am

Post #48 of 176 (1664 views)
Shortcut
He did straight well enough in the Last Samurai [In reply to] Can't Post

A larger than life character such as Dain could really benefit from that confident quirkiness that Connolly brings to his roles.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Feb 9 2012, 6:46am

Post #49 of 176 (1663 views)
Shortcut
Dain.Should look a bit more like a Pirate Dwarf.! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always pictured Dain with an Eye Patch for some reason.If you look on the google search for Dwarves, you will see a Stocky dwarf with greyish whiteish beard and an Eye patch.He looks a Dead Ringer for what Dain should look like.Just throwing ideas out to my friend PJ there.LOLPirate= Dain Ironfoot

Actually what if the 500 or so Dwarves he calls are scallawags who sail Middle Earth Looking for Elven Knecks to hewn
lol.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Feb 9 2012, 6:51am)

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 9 2012, 7:12am

Post #50 of 176 (1614 views)
Shortcut
sarahb1863 is a pro at photoshop. [In reply to] Can't Post

If we ask very very nicely......and is the lembas necessary? What am I missing there?Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.