Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Blue Wizards and origins of Nazgul - could be a story!

durfalas
Bree

Feb 7 2012, 10:33am

Post #1 of 12 (4856 views)
Shortcut
Blue Wizards and origins of Nazgul - could be a story! Can't Post

Has anyone ever thought of doing some own LOTR related writing?
I have an idea I am planning to put on paper however a few honest opinions first would be helpful.

Obviously there have been thousands of publications around these amazing books but what has always truly interested me are all the side stories and plots that add to the realism of LOTR but in the same time were not expanded by The Master himself.

Just to give you an example, the concept of two Blue Wizards travelling East with Saruman but never coming back. What were they up to? To what peril did Saruman bring them or opposite, were they deluded by Sauron?
Another one is origins of Nazgul; we know that they were 'great kings of men once' and Black Numenoreans but what were they names and stories behind them? How did Sauron ensnare them and how does it link into the rest of the great tale? What were they names apart from Khamul?

Do you think it might be worth exploring together? It could be a collaborative work of a couple of people, not just me?

Elen sila lumenn omentilmo

Nuumeheruvi
Bree

Feb 7 2012, 2:10pm

Post #2 of 12 (590 views)
Shortcut
Yes I have [In reply to] Can't Post

I am trying to finish my story about the fate of a Blue Wizard right now. I cannot decide whether to write it Silmarillion style (short, and to the point, more encyclopedic) or make a full blown novel. I'd prefer a short story I guess but it's too much material to rip out in 10 pages.

If this forum okays the idea (and other forums threaten to ban me for suggesting this idea), I'll finish the abridged version post haste. If that goes over, I will finish the long version.

What say you, my frens?

Nightingale
Rohan

Feb 7 2012, 2:49pm

Post #3 of 12 (604 views)
Shortcut
I believe [In reply to] Can't Post

that Xanaseb is the one you need to talk to round here about blue wizards. Tongue

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

Nuumeheruvi
Bree

Feb 7 2012, 4:48pm

Post #4 of 12 (596 views)
Shortcut
Need a name [In reply to] Can't Post

Really, I just need a better name to call them. Mithradir is a great name for Gandy but the BWs didn't seem to have nifty monikers like that.

Nightingale
Rohan

Feb 7 2012, 5:39pm

Post #5 of 12 (647 views)
Shortcut
According to [In reply to] Can't Post

a well known internet encyclopedia (Wink) they were Altar and Pallando in the Unfinished Tales, and Morinehtar and Romestamo (with accents on the first 'o' and the 'a') in the 1968 'Peoples of Middle Earth'.

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

Nuumeheruvi
Bree

Feb 7 2012, 6:57pm

Post #6 of 12 (678 views)
Shortcut
That is correct [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that was their names but Tolkien always had about 10 names for everything and everyone so I was looking for something more colloquial to call one of them. 'StormCrow' in Dwarven or some such, nifty name. I have a few options I've come up with but I am always open to good suggestions.

Nightingale
Rohan

Feb 7 2012, 7:06pm

Post #7 of 12 (586 views)
Shortcut
Aaah, I see. Good luck// [In reply to] Can't Post

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 7 2012, 8:31pm

Post #8 of 12 (719 views)
Shortcut
Aquaman and the Blue Beetle // [In reply to] Can't Post

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013: Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main (image courtesy of Arwen's daughter)

Nuumeheruvi
Bree

Feb 7 2012, 8:35pm

Post #9 of 12 (666 views)
Shortcut
The Tick or BlueMonkey :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what Blue Beetle is in Avari!

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Feb 16 2012, 1:41am

Post #10 of 12 (793 views)
Shortcut
Nice idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the one about the Nazgul would make an awesome book. I would definitely read it! I was thinking about writing a story about the wars of the goblins and the Dwarves in Moria.

durfalas
Bree

Mar 9 2012, 10:50pm

Post #11 of 12 (366 views)
Shortcut
more ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, thanks for adding a comment to my post on Blue Wizards. I've come up with a few new ideas on my blog, would u mind putting some thoughts there as well? You may also find some useful stuff for yourself there :)
http://truemiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Not all who wander are lost

durfalas
Bree

Mar 9 2012, 10:51pm

Post #12 of 12 (5286 views)
Shortcut
more ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, thanks for adding a comment to my post on Blue Wizards. I've come up with a few new ideas on my blog, would u mind putting some thoughts there as well? You may also find some useful stuff for yourself there :)
http://truemiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Not all who wander are lost

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.