Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TORn Tuesday hosts Sean Astin this week!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Feb 6 2012, 2:26am

Post #1 of 44 (1951 views)
Shortcut
TORn Tuesday hosts Sean Astin this week! Can't Post

TheOneRing.net is delighted to announce that on this coming Tuesday, February 7, none other than Sean Astin will be joining our own Cliff "Quickbeam" Broadway on TORn Tuesday this week for a one-hour Q&A session!

Astin -- actor, director, voice artist and producer -- is, of course, best known to Tolkien fans as Sam Gamgee in Peter Jackson's adaptation of The Lord of the Rings, but has also made his mark in a career spanning more than 70 films roles, including The Goonies, Toy Soldiers, 50 First Dates and as the indomitable, never-say-die working class hero of Rudy.

He's played a recurring guest role in the TV series 24 and has written and directed two short films -- the academy award nominated Kangaroo Court and The Long And the Short Of It.

And at this week's TORn Tuesday, he'll be talking about his latest projects -- including his special endurance/fitness project Run3rd to promote the sport of running as he gears up to run his third LA Marathon. (If you're already curious, hit up his official Twitter account!)

Plus, he'll be answering your questions! If you're wondering how it all works, and how to submit a question for Sean, please read on below!

WHEN IS THE LIVE CHAT HAPPENING?

TORN Tuesday happens on Tuesdays at 5pm PST (Los Angeles time). If you're wondering how this translates to your time zone, follow the link directly below to see our handy conversion table!

[Find out when the Q&A is in your time zone!]
HOW DO I WATCH?

We recommend connecting on the day via TheOneRing.net/live to our streaming video channel.

There you'll be able to watch and listen to Cliff and Sean as they chat. Although you won't be able to directly talk to Sean, you can still text chat with fellow fans and submit your questions for Sean through either Stickam's webcam-plus-text chatroom or in TORn's ever-popular IRC chatroom (affectionately known as Barliman's).

[TheOneRing.net/live]
WHAT ARE THE CHAT RULES?

The rules are simple. Be nice to people and don't swear -- we try to operate a family friendly chat where people of all ages can come and relax and chat. People breaking these very simple guidelines can expect to be evicted from the chat.

HOW DO I ASK A QUESTION?

You can submit a question for Sean in advance through the TheOneRing.net's message boards. Just leave your question in the thread we've linked to below ( if you're not registered, it only takes a minute!).

You should also be able to ask Sean a question on the day via our chatroom moderators (we'll try our best to pass them onto Cliff). But because we expect that Sean will get many, many questions, and Cliff may not be able to ask them all, we recommend getting in early through the thread below.

[Submit your question in The Official Sean Astin TORn Tuesday Q&A thread]

HOW CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT SEAN'S LATEST PROJECTS?

Follow Sean Astin on Twitter.
Visit the official Sean Astin website.
Find out more about Sean Astin's Run3rd special project.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2012, 12:57pm

Post #2 of 44 (625 views)
Shortcut
Hi Sean! An obvious one for me: [In reply to] Can't Post

"In what ways do you think you have drawn upon your acting experience as Sam in The Lord of the Rings trilogy in the projects up to now since those films?"

Thanks so much, I will be quite intrigued by your answer Smile,

Xanaseb

ps. sorry if "the projects up to now" is a bit broad!

:)

"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama"

Let us then continue Tolkien's Legendarium!

sd_dy

Feb 6 2012, 1:19pm

Post #3 of 44 (582 views)
Shortcut
Locations [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Do you have a favourite location among the various ones you visited during the filming of the Lord of the Rings?

Awesome acting by the way! :)

- Miriel

sd_dy

Feb 6 2012, 6:44pm

Post #4 of 44 (535 views)
Shortcut
Lorienslady via Miriel [In reply to] Can't Post

"what was your favourite part about being in the movies?"

Lorienslady

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2012, 6:54pm

Post #5 of 44 (578 views)
Shortcut
also: Karel via Xanaseb [In reply to] Can't Post

"Have you seen "Lord of the Rings in 5 seconds" and/or "Mashed Taters" if you have, what were your thoughts on them?"

Karel
:)

link to the first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxuZuXPouqM

link to the second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxuZuXPouqM

"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama"

Let us then continue Tolkien's Legendarium!

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Feb 6 2012, 7:04pm)

Dwyna

Feb 6 2012, 7:01pm

Post #6 of 44 (520 views)
Shortcut
Hero [In reply to] Can't Post

How to you feel Sam was a hero throughout the story? What was his turning point to seeing himself as more than just another hobbit?

I read Joseph Campbell's 'Hero of a Thousand Faces' and it's inspired me to look for 'the hero' in more than just the obvious lead characters. I was wondering what your take on it would be specifically for Sam and maybe on some of the others if there's time.

Thank you.

Garfeimao
Rohan

Feb 6 2012, 11:46pm

Post #7 of 44 (499 views)
Shortcut
Greetings Sean [In reply to] Can't Post

On the subject of current projects, including those outside of acting, tell us how you decided to run in the LA Marathon, and how that initial idea has now become a 3rd run. Do you have to go through a whole 'should I, shouldn't I?' process each year?

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

Pepemixi9

Feb 7 2012, 12:06am

Post #8 of 44 (533 views)
Shortcut
Torn Tuesday - Sean Astin [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sean. I`m from Hungary and Samwise Gamgee is my HERO and idol ever since I was 16. That was 11 years ago, mind you. I`m just so happy that I can actually say something which you WILL `hear`. My only question is rather an offer... You ever set foot in Cardiff, UK let me know, You`re my guest for a pint! Here`s my e-mail: KasP@cardiff.ac.uk And all the very best in whatever you start doing in your life!

Gorbag
Rivendell

Feb 7 2012, 1:23am

Post #9 of 44 (543 views)
Shortcut
Question for Sean. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sean,

First off id like to say im a huge fan of your work. To name a few, i thought you were brilliant as Sam in The Lord of the Rings, and superb as Twoflower in The Colour of Magic!

My question is this..

When you first started to film the LOTR films, did you ever think they would turn out to be the Oscar winning, record breaking, global hit they turned out to be?

Thanks!

"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

GlowWorm
Bree

Feb 7 2012, 2:30am

Post #10 of 44 (487 views)
Shortcut
My question is not a serious question and doesn't have to be asked.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless you feel like it....

Hello Sean,
Do you ever get tired of being asked questions? Crazy

~Mog

I should like to dance for a living...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 7 2012, 2:46am

Post #11 of 44 (499 views)
Shortcut
*wild applause!* AWESOME!! A comment & a question... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know you can't tell... but I have to ask... is there a trip to NZ to do a cameo with Billy, Dom and Elijah in the Green Dragon... or anywhere else!? I really REALLY hope so!!

AND my comment... I've read The Lord of the Rings at least once a year for the past 41 years... and you nailed it! You brought Sam to life for me better than I could have ever hoped for!! Thank you!! *hobbity hug*

Thanks so much for joining us on TORn! You're always a joy!

CMU

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 7 2012, 2:55am

Post #12 of 44 (547 views)
Shortcut
just posted on ew.com : 'NCIS' casting scoop: 'Lord of the Rings' star Sean Astin joins Jamie Lee Curtis episode [In reply to] Can't Post

EW has learned exclusively that Lord of the Rings star Sean Astin is set to appear alongside already announced guest star Jamie Lee Curtis in an upcoming episode of NCIS, scheduled to air in late March. Astin will, like Curtis, play a psychological operations investigator.

more: http://insidetv.ew.com/...an-astin-guest-star/

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

batik
Tol Eressea

Feb 7 2012, 3:24am

Post #13 of 44 (510 views)
Shortcut
borrowing from an oft asked question.... [In reply to] Can't Post

....is there a scene from TH (book) that you are most looking forward to seeing on the screen?

FreeLOTR

Feb 7 2012, 3:25am

Post #14 of 44 (520 views)
Shortcut
Question for Sean Astin [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is our question for Sean from FreeLOTR_BarbieKiller, gylfie_pie_commander, and Dayrlgh, gylfie's Scottish boyfriend who wants to be involved. Heart

We want to know how to play Tig? Wink

Love Us All from The One Ring.net's Barliman's chatroom.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 7 2012, 3:43am

Post #15 of 44 (485 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Sean! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a more personal question, no need to answer if it's an "invasion of privacy": how are the girls doing these days, and are there any more little Astins to come? Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

DragonsAreAwesome

Feb 7 2012, 3:52am

Post #16 of 44 (480 views)
Shortcut
Question for Sean Astin [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, my name is Denise and its great to "meet" you - in a sense. Sly My question is:
Throughout your career you have played a variety of roles; what has been your favorite character to play or rather, what type of character do you most enjoy playing ex. hero, villian, comic relief, etc and is there a specific genre of film that particularily enjoy acting in? Thanks!! Smile

miriel

Feb 7 2012, 10:48am

Post #17 of 44 (485 views)
Shortcut
and more questions :) [In reply to] Can't Post

- Which of the three LotR-movies did you appreciate most a) when you made it and b) when you watch it, and why? :)
- If you could be one of the characteres in LotR (not Sam), which one would it be?
- Do you think that directing the short film The long and short of it was beneficial for your work as an actor?

Miriel
(aka sd_dy)

durfalas
Bree

Feb 7 2012, 10:54am

Post #18 of 44 (476 views)
Shortcut
character of Sam dominating over Frodo at times? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sean,

Just recently got my hands on your book 'There and Back Again, The Actor's Tale' and learned of your feelings towards character of Sam in the first and second film.
JRR Tolkien in one of his letters from before the third book was published explains:

' Sam is the most closely drawn character,the successor to Bilbo of the first book,the genuine hobbit.Frodo is not so interesting, because he has to be highminded,and he has a vocation.The book will probably end up with Sam' .

Do you think Peter Jackson shared this view early on when working on the two first films or not? Do you feel now after a decade that the character of Sam was 'fulfilled' in the end as Tolkien wished?

Thanks!

@Eriol_o_Eressea

Not all who wander are lost

durfalas
Bree

Feb 7 2012, 11:18am

Post #19 of 44 (496 views)
Shortcut
fav charater - from @rssjaspercat who cannot log in :~( [In reply to] Can't Post

what character in a movie has been your fav up to date?? and why?

Not all who wander are lost

GlowWorm
Bree

Feb 7 2012, 4:38pm

Post #20 of 44 (448 views)
Shortcut
A question from Tolwyn [In reply to] Can't Post

She want's to know "What is your strongest or funniest memory from filming the GOONIES way back when?"

Smile

GlowWorm
Bree

Feb 7 2012, 5:23pm

Post #21 of 44 (441 views)
Shortcut
Tolwyn has a couple other question.... [In reply to] Can't Post

When your daughter worked with you for the very last scene of ROTK, did she know what was going on?

Did she enjoy acting?

Do you see acting in her future?

ringergrl13
The Shire

Feb 7 2012, 5:46pm

Post #22 of 44 (510 views)
Shortcut
Hey Sean... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just crack up every time I hear about this and I can't help but wonder, do the other Hobbits still bust your butt now and again about forgetting to put your vest on during The Grey Havens shooting?

Beriadan

Feb 7 2012, 6:03pm

Post #23 of 44 (441 views)
Shortcut
Question - The Tales that Really Matter [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sean. Probably my favorite scene - of all the films - is your monologue towards the end of the Two Towers about the "Tales that really matter". For me, that's an extremely powerful piece of writing and performance that captures the LOTR's ability to connect with audiences on a deeper, intimate, yet universal level (I cry like a baby, every time). At times, however, I feel that fantasy tends to be looked upon with too narrow a view, and these far-reaching themes are lost.

Question - What are your thoughts on the universalism of the LOTR's themes and how Tolkien's work is a lot more than merely wizards, goblins, and swordplay?

Tree

Feb 7 2012, 7:04pm

Post #24 of 44 (449 views)
Shortcut
Question to Sean Astin [In reply to] Can't Post

My question to Sean would be: how many of the cast members would you say consider themselves to be Tolkien fans? Did any of the actors genuinely dislike Tolkien's writings? Were any converted to be big fans? I think it's fair to say Christopher Lee was the biggest Tolkien fan there. were there any cast members who did not read the book, or would not voluntarily read it again?

Thanks,
Tree

(This post was edited by Tree on Feb 7 2012, 7:07pm)

TaschaBear

Feb 7 2012, 7:08pm

Post #25 of 44 (438 views)
Shortcut
Hullo Sean! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you planning on attending "The Hobbit" premier in December?

I also want to let you know that I fully support your #run3rd campaign!
I am a fellow runner, although I am heavy set, and love it!
Thank you for continuing to inspire so many of us!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.