saving pennies for the Hobbit in 3D?

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Feb 1 2012, 2:34pm

Post #1 of 18 (1298 views)
Shortcut
saving pennies for the Hobbit in 3D? Can't Post

Greetings, TORn-friends!

So, I have a dilemma, and I wanted to ask your collective wisdom.

I'm assuming, of course, that I will love the first Hobbit movie and will want to see it many times in the theater. Perhaps I am tempting fate by assuming that, but I'm assuming it nonetheless.

My dilemma revolves around 3D, and the fact that seeing 3D movies is so pricey. Back when the LOTR films came out, seeing them multiple times in the theater wasn't quite such a bank-breaking proposition. As a student, I got student discounts at the theater and didn't have major financial obligations, whereas now, I'm a responsible adult who has to pay for things like removing the 14 flying squirrels who moved into my attic this Fall (no joke). The cost of 3D also makes a dramatic difference. The prospect of spending $14 a pop for multiple viewings makes my frugal heart quiver.

And of course, it isn't just $14, because Mr. H.H. will undoubtedly want to see it with me at least once in 3D, and perhaps other times in 2D. And he's even less eager to break the bank.

So, how to handle this? One way would be to see it in 3D only once, and see other viewings in 2D, or to do some combination of 3D/2D viewings. It wasn't really the effects that had me coming back for multiple LOTR viewings anyway; it was the story and characters. Assuming that's also true for *The Hobbit,* seeing it in 2D would be great. At the same time, part of the joy of seeing epic movies in the theater is getting the full visual experience, and once a movie is in 3D, you automatically don't get the full visual experience in 2D. Also, my theater always has very limited offerings for 3D movies in 2D.

This may not be something I can decide on for sure until I actually see the movie, but I'm trying to plan for it.

What about the rest of you? What are you planning to do? Skip 3D? Limit your 3D viewings? Pinch pennies in other areas? Create new sources of cash flow to add to the Hobbit viewing fund?

"Yes, but what about SECOND breakfast?"

Carne
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2012, 2:51pm

Post #2 of 18 (281 views)
Shortcut
3D first then 2D. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though 3D tickets are quite expensive here in Norway. 130 NOK/$22.38 per ticket Frown

(This post was edited by Carne on Feb 1 2012, 2:51pm)

Athena
The Shire

Feb 1 2012, 3:08pm

Post #3 of 18 (274 views)
Shortcut
Does your bank [In reply to] Can't Post

have a Xmas fund program? Take advantage of it. The bank doesn't have to know what the $$ actually for.

(This post was edited by Athena on Feb 1 2012, 3:09pm)

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2012, 3:18pm

Post #4 of 18 (262 views)
Shortcut
I'll certainly be watching it on an orange Wednesday at some point...... [In reply to] Can't Post

but wait....I dont have Orange ............. Unimpressed

LOL oh well, I'm a student, so they'll be slightly discounted as you say.....but I'll probably have to go without food for a few weeks.the number of times I want to see it!!! Wink

"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama"

Let us then continue Tolkien's Legendarium!

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Feb 1 2012, 5:09pm

Post #5 of 18 (238 views)
Shortcut
I want to see it in both 3D and 2D, and as close together as possible! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've thought this over. By watching each once immediately, I can then decide which one I will want to see at any subsequent viewings.

"I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!"

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

Mythopoeia
Bree

Feb 1 2012, 7:38pm

Post #6 of 18 (210 views)
Shortcut
I'm planning on trying to see the midnight 3d showing [In reply to] Can't Post

and then just watching the 2d over and over and over again. And maybe requesting tickets to watch it in 3d again as my Christmas present this year ;)

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 1 2012, 8:32pm

Post #7 of 18 (196 views)
Shortcut
Probably this... [In reply to] Can't Post

See it once in 3D and then any additional big screen viewings in 2D.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 1 2012, 9:38pm

Post #8 of 18 (193 views)
Shortcut
We'll have to see how the 3D viewing affects my wife... [In reply to] Can't Post

If it brings on a migraine, we'll have to see the conclusion in 2D.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 2 2012, 12:57am

Post #9 of 18 (165 views)
Shortcut
It's a certainty, imho... [In reply to] Can't Post

that these films are going to be AWESOME!!!! *twitch*

So I've already had a savings started for watching the film(s). 95% of my viewings will be the non-3D version... but I will see the 3D version more than a couple of time just to experience the incredible visuals! Plus, I've seen the trailer at the theatre in both versions... and I picked up some pretty fascinating details in the 3D that I didn't see in the 2D (or whatever it's called ;)

So you could consider seeing the 3D for the experience, then the regular version for the bulk of it. The cost is definitely nothing to sneeze at ;)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Sunflower
Valinor

Feb 2 2012, 2:45am

Post #10 of 18 (155 views)
Shortcut
Really great thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbitess, thank you for this thread, these are "questions, questions that need answering"!Smile

This has been my main opposition to the advent of 3D: the greed of the film studios who are exploiting it, how they insist that only "the market" will lower the ticket price--not themselves. If Talkies has been this expensive during the Depression, films as we know them would not have survived. Yes, films were still expensive during the Depression--but still reasonably priced enough, that families still went to the movies. Even with or without the dish set giveaways. But I refuse to get on this topic again:)

In addition to your points, another bad thing about the 3D experience, esp in a busy multiplex, is that the theaters are not all the same size. We all know about the new releases, and the big earners, being put in the multiplex's biggest theaters, the ones with 200+ seats, the biggest, widest screens, the best sound systems. Whereas the longer a film has been ot, or if it's not an FX blockbuster but a drama or indie film, it's relegated to the smaller theater, with the screens that dont "open up", sound systems that aren't as loud (speakers), 100 or fewer seats--so that people have to squeeze past with the popcorn, and if you have kids or sit with people who like to talk duing a film, it's downright unberable...this problem in a large theater is at least mitigated by the distance of their seat from yours. This problem was bad enough when LOTr came out, but at least audiences for LOTR were all equal: we were all lined up, all camped out,for the same experience.

Now, all the best screens in a theater are reserved for 3D films, and not just for opening weekend, but the 2 weeks after. The line parties for TH will be segregated lines: those who wish to see the film in 2d will be forced to endure a packed house of excited people in one of these smaller, dinkier theaters with the inferior screens. In old theaters all screens and theaters were the same size. A good proportion of these 2D ers will be elderly people, familes with children, and regular folks who can't afford the 3D. In LOTR days, they could have afforded to see the film twice. Now, they'll be lucky to catch it even once. And they'll know they're not getting the "full" experience.

This is going to be a BIG deal. There have been blockbusters in the pat where people have been happy with this arrangement--Avatar, Toy Story 3, Harry Potter 7 and 8--but I suspect that the audience for TH will be FAR more inclusive. EVERYBODY will want to see it. Avatar was the birth of the technology, and it was sci-fi. A lot of people saw TS3 in 2D b/c it already was 3D animation, 3D animation whether in 2D or 3D wasn't as much of an issue, it was all animation. and HP, that was for a built-in fanbase that again was not as inclusive, as big as it was. And folks felt the same way about 2D for HP. But The demand for Th I think is going to be on a WHOLE nother level. And everyone will have heard about the technolgy being something new for this, so they'll be very unhappy bout the 3D. I wonder how all this will fall out?

As to your dilemma....well, all I can say is, it's a good thing we know whne this is and have time to save. When I saw Harry Potter 8, I saw it 3 times in 3D and once in 2D. But the only way I could afford this (the IMAX 3D was $17.50 a pop here) was to save up months in advance. This is a sorry statement on the affordabilty of movies, but there it is. I set up an "HP fund" and filled it partly with money from my tax refund and partly savings. Between the tickts and the snacks, it all came out to around $75 (that was just for myself, I'm not factoring in friends' tickets. We all paid our own. I can't even imagine the cost for a family of 4....oh this is going to be ugly:)

I am probably going t o do something similar for TH. See it 3 times in the IMAX 3D, and once in 2D. If it's really good, and I;m blown away by Howard Shore, I might skip a meal or two and see it one more time in 2D:). I am taking the Friday and Saturday of opening weekend off, and going again and seeing it once more next weekend...I also intend to go to the Radio City ROTK moot (more info in Moot secion). But the only way I can do these things is to start saving NOW if possible. My Hobbit fund is a month old, and I'm using a bit more of my refund to save for all things Hobbit related.

My suggestion is: Try to save for at least once in 3D, and for Eru's sake, bring your own snacks or go to a dollar store for them if there's one around...don't go near the theater concession stand!!Tongue Even make your own popcorn! or buy your snacks in advance too. I've never heard of or seen anyone thrown out of a theater for bringing their own snacks. I've never seen a bag searched, and in that huge crowd, will anyone care? As long as you don't take anything out or start munching before the lights go down, it's OK.

best of luck, and I hear you about having more money in your student days:)

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Feb 2 2012, 2:50am)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2012, 9:09am

Post #11 of 18 (140 views)
Shortcut
Yep, we are saving, also! [In reply to] Can't Post

We are putting the change in our pockets into the effort. I am saving change and regularly going to the bank in an effort not to have a a lot of change to deal with in December! The cost of the 3D will be a problem for us, but OhioHobbit and I will probably see it at least once in 3D.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2012, 12:38pm

Post #12 of 18 (137 views)
Shortcut
My Brother's gathered around £20 from Sept-Dec, just by picking up pennies from the ground. floors, anywhere!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, look under vending machines, in the corner of rooms, at the sides of walls, underneath furniture,
-anywhere-, and you actually raise a loooooot of money!!!

I might have to convince my brother to use that money (which is still rising!) on TH.....Evil

:)

"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama"

Let us then continue Tolkien's Legendarium!

Sam20
Lorien

Feb 2 2012, 4:39pm

Post #13 of 18 (111 views)
Shortcut
Untitled [In reply to] Can't Post

I am probably gonna see it once a the Theater in 3D because it is about The Hobbit. I still have concerns about how this would turns out to be. Though I try to be positive and as The Lord Of The Rings are good movies however different in many ways from the books I think The Hobbit can be decent movies as well in a cinematographique perspective. But I dont close the door to a second viewing I think it'll all depend of my appreciation of the first.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 3 2012, 7:02am

Post #14 of 18 (109 views)
Shortcut
2-D, then 3-D [In reply to] Can't Post

I must admit I have never seen a 3-D movie in the theater (not even the Tintin movie). So I probably will watch it in 2-D first if it is available, then I really would like to give it a try in 3-D. I understand that is how the movie is being filmed, so it makes sense to see it at least once in the manner it was meant to be seen, and filmed. And yes, I'll be saving what few extra $$ I have!

Frito groaned. "I wish I had never been born," he said.

"Do not say that, dear Frito," cried Orlon. "It was a happy minute for us all when you were born."

irreality
Bree

Feb 3 2012, 6:02pm

Post #15 of 18 (75 views)
Shortcut
I'll probably only see it once in 3d [In reply to] Can't Post

Although 3d is an exciting experience, I find it very hard to "look around" and focus on details on the screen in 3d, especially around the edges. I'd probably watch it in 3D once (maybe first time) but probably see it in 2d for any repeat viewings so I can take the time to look around at the details of each scene.

lyndomiel
Rivendell

Feb 5 2012, 12:30pm

Post #16 of 18 (67 views)
Shortcut
discounted tickets [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just getting caught up with the posts, so I'm late responding - but you can get discounted tickets in a lot of places and online. I go to AAA and Costco to get mine - $8 for an $11 ticket and there are discounts available online. Just Google discount tickets and your town name to see what pops up. That helps - and bring you own popcorn!

sueb1863
Rivendell

Feb 5 2012, 3:38pm

Post #17 of 18 (86 views)
Shortcut
2D first [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll see it in 2D first, then 3D. I'd like to be able to concentrate on the visuals and the acting first without being distracted by how 3D something does or doesn't look. Plus, I have a few eye issues that makes 3D not really work all that well sometimes.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Feb 12 2012, 12:02pm

Post #18 of 18 (695 views)
Shortcut
Agreed with everyone who mentioned that 3d is distracting rather than attracting,lol [In reply to] Can't Post

What i;ve noticed, whilst watching Tin Tin the movie, was that the immersion factor, was decreased significantly.The saturation, of the colour seems more blurred and my eyes were throbbing ALOT!.I hate how you automatically are compelled to watch in 3d because it is more a gimmick than a necessary addition to the cinematic experience.I also disliked how with the CoolGlasses on, the vision of the tinted lenses, makes everything darker and less vibrant.It was so annoying.I kept taking them on and off throughout the whole movie and in the end didn;t get to enjoy the movie at all.I think what the others have said is correct and that is to watch in 2d first and then 3d as a Bonus later just as you would watch the Theatrical before the Extended Editions.I'm not sure if 48f/ps will make a difference but i really don;t think so because the dark tint from cheapo 3d glasses will still be there.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.