Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Screencap of the Day - At Bilbo's Door

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 27 2012, 1:37am

Views: 1177
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day - At Bilbo's Door Can't Post

You can find the full-sized image HERE.

I had it in my head that this image was based on one of John Howe or Alan Lee's paintings, but Google doesn't back me up on that. Either way, it's become one of the more iconic images from the movies, translated into bookends and wall plaques and even a cake or two.

So...

1. What do you think about the look of Gandalf?
2. I think this image very cleverly reminds us of the scale of Hobbits. Do you think the filmmakers did enough (or too much) to explain the short stature of Hobbits to the movie-firster audience?
3. I love the Frame Cap Library because we get to stop and look at all the little details on set. Like that birdhouse behind Gandalf that I've never noticed before. Any favorite details in this image?
4. Any other thoughts or comments (that aren't about pieAngelic)?

Thanks to everyone who participated this week!

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?
Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013
Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Subject User Time
Screencap of the Day - At Bilbo's Door Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Jan 27 2012, 1:37am
    Could you be thinking of Ted Nasmith? Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 27 2012, 3:48am
    I didn't have a particular preconceived idea of what Gandalf should look like zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Jan 27 2012, 8:32am
        And lots of trees from _this_ POV ;) // SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 28 2012, 3:37am
            I imagine Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Jan 28 2012, 9:28pm
            Haha! That's why I love Bag End :) // zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Jan 29 2012, 3:22am
    You may be thinking of "Gandalf Returns to Bag End" Kristin Thompson Send a private message to Kristin Thompson Jan 27 2012, 4:33pm
        here's a link to the Howe picture you mentioned Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 27 2012, 5:16pm
        Gandalf the Shabby Harold.of.Whoa Send a private message to Harold.of.Whoa Jan 27 2012, 6:46pm
    I love this scene .Ithilwen. Send a private message to .Ithilwen. Jan 27 2012, 6:19pm
    "...the skimming martins. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jan 27 2012, 7:59pm
        Re question 3 SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 28 2012, 3:17am
    Screencap-Bilbo's door willowing Send a private message to willowing Jan 27 2012, 8:24pm
    Gandalf at the door! Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jan 27 2012, 10:52pm
    The quotable Gandalf SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 28 2012, 3:34am
    a very inviting doorway telain Send a private message to telain Jan 30 2012, 2:13pm
    Pie? peleowyn Send a private message to peleowyn Jan 31 2012, 6:48am
        The first line should be enough. sador Send a private message to sador Jan 31 2012, 7:02am
            Well, we should narrow it down a bit... SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 31 2012, 3:36pm
    I can't help but grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Feb 6 2012, 4:12am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.