Evangeline Lily Finally Explains Who Tauriel Is
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 25 2012, 5:41pm

Post #26 of 315 (4306 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't really bother me [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes the character wasn't in the book, but it doesn't really bother me introducing Tauriel into the films, and whether they have gradually expanded her role. It sounds quite exicting to me, and think its quite a clever idea. She must be in BO5A, she's filming for 5 months!

It sounds like they have tried to re-use the Arwen plot from The Two Towers. It's more needed here, as the book contains no females - I'm sure there will be lots of complaints even when the films come out.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2012, 5:51pm

Post #27 of 315 (4246 views)
Shortcut
Sounds exactly like what we've expected... and not that bad. [In reply to] Can't Post

She's one of Thranduil elven guards/warriors. Her role is similar to Haldir, Gamling, etc. Nothing big. No romance. Integrates well into the plot.

I'm pleased.

<3 Gandy, Raddy, Sharkey, Ally & Pally <3

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2012, 5:54pm

Post #28 of 315 (4092 views)
Shortcut
How is that a bad thing? [In reply to] Can't Post

I fear that the second film will not look very much like the Hobbit. Likely it will be a far more geopolitical film, cutting back and forth b/w Thranduil's plots, Laketown, the dwarves, Gandalf/White Council, and perhaps the Iron Hills.

But.... isn't that exactly what the last part of the book is? The first 2/3 is a "road-movie" where the heroes get into the Lonely Mountain region, and the last 1/3 is about the local geo-politics and interracial relationships. This basic sturcture is not so different to LotR.

Nightingale
Rohan

Jan 25 2012, 5:56pm

Post #29 of 315 (4993 views)
Shortcut
I really hope [In reply to] Can't Post

they don't try for the 'modern femme' angle. It worked in an understated way with Eowyn. I don't think it's needed here.

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 25 2012, 5:59pm

Post #30 of 315 (4009 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, for some perspective, does anyone know how much 5 months would (roughly) equate to (possible) screen time?

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2012, 5:59pm

Post #31 of 315 (4193 views)
Shortcut
But wouldn't she then have a bigger part in film 1? [In reply to] Can't Post

If she doesn't have much screentime and character establishment in film 1, then if she just appears to help out Bilbo it will feel cheap: a deus ex machina to help them escape.

Besides, it will make her look bad. She's supposed to be Thranduil's most trusted person in the defence of his kingdom, and yet she has no respect for his clear and reasonably justifeable orders. Instead she lets potential enemies go. Consider also that she's a she. As a woman character doing boys' stuff, she needs to be extra respectable, or the audience will hate her. I'm sorry, but that's how things roll...

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Jan 25 2012, 6:00pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2012, 6:01pm

Post #32 of 315 (3993 views)
Shortcut
Depends entirely on how much freetime she has during those months... // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 25 2012, 6:03pm

Post #33 of 315 (4897 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. Any idea how long Gamling/Haldir filmed for? [In reply to] Can't Post

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2012, 6:06pm

Post #34 of 315 (4067 views)
Shortcut
To help your memory... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lady Haleth of Beleriand was militaric chieftainess leader of her people, and her bodyguards were amazons. However, this was not a common custom among Men, only her people.

rings7
Rohan

Jan 25 2012, 6:10pm

Post #35 of 315 (4050 views)
Shortcut
I think that what she was trying to say [In reply to] Can't Post

is that you don't wanna mess up with her for the type of character that she is.

rings7
Rohan

Jan 25 2012, 6:14pm

Post #36 of 315 (3925 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

honestly i still think they're gonna try to at least create a kiss scene at some point. We know no one kisses in The Hobbit, but you know, this is Hollywood. I still think they're gonna pair her with someone, for at least that famous kiss scene we see in all those epic movies.

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Jan 25 2012, 6:15pm

Post #37 of 315 (4139 views)
Shortcut
I see your point, however . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't want her being Thranduil's lacky either. Thranduil's early role is as a foe, a villain. He stops Thorin and the party in their tracks, imprisoning them. If she is the stalwart Captain of the Guard, than she will also be the foe . . . and simply a pale copy of Thranduil.

I expect PJ want's her to soften this hard stance of Thranduil, making it more palatable when they switch alliances at the end. Thus, making her at a minimum a voice of reason makes sense. Maybe she doesn't help them to escape, but she becomes sympathetic towards them . . .

. . . hang on a sec . . .

(Had to re-read that stretch of the book) The chief of the guard is the one who gets drunk with the 'butler'. That is the person Bilbo 'steals' the keys from . . .

I'd forgotten that part for a moment. That makes this even more interesting . . . . . . . .

"I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!"

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 25 2012, 6:16pm

Post #38 of 315 (3986 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopkins/Gamling says he filmed off and on until the very last day of filming. (He was able to attend the wrap party where Jackson gave him Gamling's sword and a clapper board.)

Parker/Haldir says he filmed off and on for two years including pickups. (As a short man playing a tall elf he shot most of his scenes on 6-inch platform shoes.)

"Oh, Gandalf, Gandalf, you fool! Can’t you see how I feel?"
"Yeah, I see. I see our troubles don’t amount to a hill of beans. You belong with Celeborn. And I need to go find the only one who can save us."

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jan 25 2012, 6:16pm)

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Jan 25 2012, 6:18pm

Post #39 of 315 (3896 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't aware of that bit of info . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

"I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!"

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 25 2012, 6:18pm

Post #40 of 315 (3951 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that Darkstone [In reply to] Can't Post

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2012, 6:21pm

Post #41 of 315 (4829 views)
Shortcut
"This is Hollywood"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hollywood is certainly involved, but I'd like to remaind you they're NZ movies made by international crew, led by pure Kiwis. They're PJ's movies, he's their producer, co-writer and director. He actually does have some authority over them and their content. He's not as boneless (or without influence and power of his own) as some try to make him look like.

Besides, if you really insist I can give you a looong list of "Hollywood movies" with no kissing.

Seriously, I'm starting to believe you people secretly want there to be Tauriel romance and are just in closet about it. Cool

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Jan 25 2012, 6:22pm)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2012, 6:22pm

Post #42 of 315 (4207 views)
Shortcut
Some films are shot in less than a few weeks... [In reply to] Can't Post

So it's really difficult to say exactly... PJ is notorious for getting another take or "one more for luck".

So it's hard to say...

Unsure

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

(This post was edited by Owain on Jan 25 2012, 6:23pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2012, 6:23pm

Post #43 of 315 (4204 views)
Shortcut
"You definitely wouldn’t want to be caught in a dark alley next to Tauriel." [In reply to] Can't Post

Precious little chance of that, in my case.

Tongue

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2012, 6:26pm

Post #44 of 315 (4232 views)
Shortcut
We interprent Thranduil very differently then [In reply to] Can't Post

He never seemed like a villain to me at any point, only an antagonistic force the heroes must overcome to continue their journey.

And how following the orders of her boss makes her a "pale copy" of him? It makes her a soldier doing her job right.

Symbelmine
Rohan

Jan 25 2012, 6:27pm

Post #45 of 315 (4974 views)
Shortcut
Nightmare comes alive [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel is a warrior, her role is expanded, she is a head guard, deadly....etc. I don't like that. I wouldn't mind if she was a healer or a member of Thranduil's counsel or something like that. I'm tired of all those warrior females. Middle Earth isn't War Craft.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2012, 6:29pm

Post #46 of 315 (4032 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately [In reply to] Can't Post

There being any chance of it happening would mean the Elves indeed are still around us. (I'm a sucker for "Elves through history to our age" fan fiction stories, even though I know they technically should all have become invisible to us.)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 25 2012, 6:32pm

Post #47 of 315 (4932 views)
Shortcut
Not to mention... [In reply to] Can't Post

..Luthien who fought Sauron and destroyed his tower on the Isle of Werewolves, Galadriel (aka "Manly Maiden") who brought down Sauron's tower in Mirkwood, and Idril who personally saved a bunch of people during the Fall of Gondolin.

You don't mess with Elven maids.

"Oh, Gandalf, Gandalf, you fool! Can’t you see how I feel?"
"Yeah, I see. I see our troubles don’t amount to a hill of beans. You belong with Celeborn. And I need to go find the only one who can save us."

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jan 25 2012, 6:37pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2012, 6:38pm

Post #48 of 315 (3999 views)
Shortcut
Now now... take a deep breath... :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure it's not the end of the world, and there's good chances it will turn out quite fine. Smile

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2012, 6:39pm

Post #49 of 315 (3967 views)
Shortcut
Why I'm happy she's a warrior [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand people who feel female warriors don't belong to Middle-Earth (even though they technically do). But even still I personally feel her being a guard is much more sensible than her being any other kind of Elf.

This is because this story is a Dwarf-story, and it only sees Elves from the outside. They're mostly present as warriors. The climbses we see of their normal society in its normal life are brief and under abnormal situations. The only Elves who have ongoing presence of any kind in the story are guards, spies, knights, soldiers.

Therefore, if any Elven extra should be given a face and a name, it should be a warrior. The others surely exist too, but they don't have much influence on the story. If we were to delve deeper into any of them, the story would need to change noticeably to make it possible.

And to me, the plot remaining untouched is much more important than the gender of minor Elf characters.

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Jan 25 2012, 6:42pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 25 2012, 6:43pm

Post #50 of 315 (4983 views)
Shortcut
No it doesn't [In reply to] Can't Post

It may well turn out bad, but there is nothing there that confirms that it will. You are just jumping to conclusions. Having a female head of the Elven guard is not a problem in and of itself. It's just how it plays out that is the question. And there is nothing in this article that gives us a real clue as to that.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.