Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Evangeline Lily Finally Explains Who Tauriel Is
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

eralkfang
Lorien

Jan 31 2012, 3:42am

Post #301 of 315 (2591 views)
Shortcut
Drunkeness [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I think the confrontation between Tauriel and Bilbo will be much bigger than her simply getting drunk. The first film will be short on antagonists, so bulking up her role seems natural enough. In my head, Bilbo somehow earns her begrudging respect, and she decides to give him the keys. I just want them to be friends, guys. :)

Marionette
Rohan

Jan 31 2012, 4:41pm

Post #302 of 315 (2457 views)
Shortcut
21th century and women are still a big issue [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson and Co did all what they wanted to do with LOTR, but all this over reaction just for one female (probably small) role.
And this not Facebook, the hate and the comments there are worst. And I just have to say "she is just a woman, a human being exactly like you but female, get over it" or something XDUnsure

I really don´t know if I should feel amused, honored or just terrifyed to see the whole mess and overreactions just becoz something is female... if the character were male, it wouldn´t be such issue.
To me... well.. it´s a hek scary.

Seiously.Laugh

There are other fictional characters added to The Hobbit, they are actually adding a lot of things to The Hobbit, so, this character is just a grain of sand over all that.

I have been worried, becoz being the female role someguy´s love interest or a sexual furniture there to please the eye (Or sexual furniture to please the eye in disguise of a strong female role, as basically all stories have) is just more sexist that not having any female role at all. I love Tolkien precisely becoz he has few female characters, but the few female characters he has are way decent, stronger and better than other fictional stories with hundreds of females thrashing roles. But right now I just wait for something more about the movie to have stronger opinions.Crazy

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

(This post was edited by Marionette on Jan 31 2012, 4:48pm)

Symbelmine
Rohan

Jan 31 2012, 6:26pm

Post #303 of 315 (2493 views)
Shortcut
I think the fact she is a female isn't a big issue [In reply to] Can't Post

but the fact she isn't a small role and she is a big shot in the army. That's my issue about this character. I wouldn't mind additional female character if she did something much more typical for elven women. If she was a healer for example. I wouldn't even mind if she was a member of Thranduil's council or something like that. I am fed up with the fact that in every fantasy movie has to be some female warrior and I'm disappointed there is going to be one in TH. A girl with sword or bow killing orcs. What's interesting and exciting about it? Why not to add some wise and gentle elven women? Why she has to be a killing machine? What's beautiful and enchanting about this?
Some people may call me backward and feel offended by my opinions but people are allowed to say opinions here what I know.

By the way people have issues with added male characters. I've read many negative comments about addition of Legolas and Frodo.

Mybear
Bree

Jan 31 2012, 6:41pm

Post #304 of 315 (2509 views)
Shortcut
OH MY GOD! THIS THREAD HAS 20000+ VIEWS AND 300+ COMMENTS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats quite an accomplishment for a thread!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 31 2012, 7:58pm

Post #305 of 315 (2514 views)
Shortcut
That's why I'm not pre-judging the character before the films come out. [In reply to] Can't Post

Right now, it looks like Tauriel may be a reworked version of the chief of the guards from the book. The role may be slightly expanded in An Unexpected Journey to make her one of the Wood-elves who capture Thorin. But the real expansion of the role is reserved for There and Back Again, when I expect Tauriel will try to redeem herself at the Battle of the Five Armies. This could be handled quite well (even tragically) or she could become a total 'Mary Sue'. Time will tell.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.

kiwifan
Rohan

Jan 31 2012, 11:22pm

Post #306 of 315 (2427 views)
Shortcut
... and keep them out of the original Hobbit story [In reply to] Can't Post

which would make sense. I don't mind this additional plot and for all I care they can have Legolas and all sorts of people going off with Gandalf, but I don't want new characters in significant roles in the original Hobbit plot (which has plenty of characters in it already even if they're not female).

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

kiwifan
Rohan

Jan 31 2012, 11:30pm

Post #307 of 315 (2466 views)
Shortcut
hear, hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't agree more, Gwytha!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Benevolent
The Shire

Feb 1 2012, 12:06am

Post #308 of 315 (2514 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

Small role in An Unexpected Journey should mean it will end with the dwarves tossed in jail.

I don't get the whining about this "made up" character. The elven guard of Mirkwood plays an important role in The Hobbit, what's wrong with giving one of them a name and a character? Do they all have to be anonymous just to stay "true to the book"?

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 1 2012, 12:17am

Post #309 of 315 (2640 views)
Shortcut
It's not in the top 10 yet, in terms of posts [In reply to] Can't Post

You can go to the index page for the Hobbit movie board and click on 'replies' in the column headers. That will rank the threads by number replies.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 1 2012, 1:34am

Post #310 of 315 (2468 views)
Shortcut
And... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Small role in An Unexpected Journey should mean it will end with the dwarves tossed in jail.

And possibly having her keys pinched after she has a few drinks with her friend Galion. She does seem to be the first one to discover that the Dwarves have escaped (based upon the few lines of dialogue that she leaked).

I don't get the whining about this "made up" character. The elven guard of Mirkwood plays an important role in The Hobbit, what's wrong with giving one of them a name and a character? Do they all have to be anonymous just to stay "true to the book"?

It's not a big deal unless Tauriel takes away from the accomplishments of the story's protagonists--especially Bilbo. However, we've seen Jackson give too much importance to tertiary characters before, where they become a distraction from the main story--particularly in King Kong. The concern is that this may happen with the character of Tauriel.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 1 2012, 10:07pm

Post #311 of 315 (2534 views)
Shortcut
Again, Turiel is a lightening rod. For the record, about 15 posts were [In reply to] Can't Post

cut away and sent to cyber Hades. That didn't affect the view count though.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 1 2012, 11:05pm

Post #312 of 315 (2495 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

600 responses for "Fili and Kili". 200 more than the next closest thread (and almost twice as many as this thread).

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Gwytha
Rohan

Feb 2 2012, 4:48am

Post #313 of 315 (2415 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of those things I have pretty strong feelings about.

Growth is less a matter of change than of ripening--and what alters most is the clarity with which we see one another. -Edith Pargeter

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Feb 4 2012, 4:33am

Post #314 of 315 (2455 views)
Shortcut
Skepticism Schmeptisism [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

It's not a big deal unless Tauriel takes away from the accomplishments of the story's protagonists--especially Bilbo. However, we've seen Jackson give too much importance to tertiary characters before, where they become a distraction from the main story--particularly in King Kong. The concern is that this may happen with the character of Tauriel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But at the same time, people want to make these character more secondary, and I will never understand that mentality. Same thing happened with Arwen and Eomer, though with the former I can understand it more even given that I was fine with the changes. Because they exist and do nothing important, they apparently should be exactly that way an never expanded upon. Bard is an example of how sloppy Tolkien could be at times when it came to character.

There truly are not enough characters with driving importance to make the Hobbit an exciting film if just directly copied. You have the 14 heroes and Gandalf (which are really in all just one part since they frame the story), a few trolls, Elrond, goblins, Beorn, Spiders, Elvenking, Master of Lake Town, Smaug, and Bard. There's not enough events really going on in the story by that account because there is an emptiness in the scenes due to absence of truly defined character. Jackson has always made these characters important because in some ways they relate to the audience a lot more and can portray certain aspects above others.

Adding Hobbits of the Shire, elves in Rivendell, Radagast, Saruman, Elves in Mirkwood, and more in Laketown will do a lot to give the movies both scale and pacing. Give a true face to the comrades and adversities put in their way and make it all connect to one another. That's what Jackson does best: Make proven concepts work better than the sum of their parts.

(This post was edited by GoodGuyA on Feb 4 2012, 4:36am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 4 2012, 8:10pm

Post #315 of 315 (3177 views)
Shortcut
You'll get no argument from me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you completely. The requirements of cinema necessitate exploring the environment of Middle-earth in ways that prose does not need to.

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.