Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Bret McKenzie, Oscar nominee

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jan 24 2012, 12:00pm

Post #1 of 18 (1369 views)
Shortcut
Bret McKenzie, Oscar nominee Can't Post

There are already a lot of Oscar winners working on The Hobbit. Soon there might be one more. When the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the 2011 nominees, Bret McKenzie ("Figwit" in The Lord of the Rings and Lindir in The Hobbit) turned up in the "Music (Original Song)" category for his "Man or Muppet" from The Muppets. Congratulations and good luck to Bret! The Oscars will be awarded on February 26.

By the way, the highest number of nominations went to Martin Scorsese's Hugo. Like The Return of the King, it bagged eleven--also without a single actor nomination. The parallel isn't complete, since Hugo made it into two categories that ROTK didn't, Sound Editing and Cinematography. It was not in two categories that ROTK won, Makeup and Original Song.

For a full list of nominees, check out the Academy's website.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2012, 5:16pm

Post #2 of 18 (759 views)
Shortcut
Soooo happy about 'Hugo'! [In reply to] Can't Post

...and not just for Howard's beautiful music getting nominated! :) This was my favorite film of the year, and I've been championing it like crazy, but to little avail. People just did not go out and see this one, so it didn't do very well at the box office. But the amount of critical acclaim and awards attention it's gotten this year have been truly gratifying.

...and now to get the most Oscar nominations - 11! I'm so happy for the film and all involved. Smile At this stage, I guess it's the consensus that 'The Artist' is getting Best Picture, but I hope Marty at least gets Best Director. One can hope! Cool

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2012, 6:14pm

Post #3 of 18 (762 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Congratulations to Bret! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW.SmileSmileSmileSmile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 24 2012, 6:43pm

Post #4 of 18 (732 views)
Shortcut
*face palm* [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I saw a lot of good movies last year, maybe not as many as previous years though...

When reading through all the nominees, the only one from a movie I actually paid to see is Nick Nolte for Warrior.

That aside congratulations to Brett. May he ever rise above the status of an inside joke!

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2012, 7:25pm

Post #5 of 18 (722 views)
Shortcut
Congrats to Bret [In reply to] Can't Post

I did see the name among the nominees but I had to go figure out if it really was him or some other Bret.
Well done Bret! Congratulations!

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2012, 7:28pm

Post #6 of 18 (740 views)
Shortcut
This movie isn't out here [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to check, but it will get into theaters on February 11th here (The Netherlands). But the trailer looks absolutely stunning and sweet.

But I noticed with lots of the Oscar nominees, they either haven't come to theaters here or did run a very short time (Midnight in Paris and Tree of Live). Too bad, because I would like to know which movies are deemed worthy to get nominated.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 24 2012, 7:42pm

Post #7 of 18 (733 views)
Shortcut
Just a speculation [In reply to] Can't Post

Even from the trailer, let alone the severely truncated title, it was not clear the movie was based on Brian Selznick's excellent book. Perhaps people who knew the book had no idea it was being made into this movie?

Still, you would think Scorsese would have been a big draw all his own. Maybe people are just feeling too broke anymore?

willowing
Lorien

Jan 24 2012, 9:19pm

Post #8 of 18 (725 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations to Bret for [In reply to] Can't Post

getting the an Oscar nomination. the Oscar people are quick picky about the choices put under their noses.

Take for example the leaving out of Tin Tin.

Hopefully this isn't going to mean no more Tin Tin movies in the future.

Anyway Bret also won an Golden Globe for The Muppet movie so belated congratulations for that.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2012, 10:38pm

Post #9 of 18 (734 views)
Shortcut
You could drive a truck into those nostrils [In reply to] Can't Post

Wait, what, we had a topic?

Great, absolutely great! Congrats.

<3 Gandy, Raddy, Sharkey, Ally & Pally <3

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 24 2012, 10:42pm

Post #10 of 18 (714 views)
Shortcut
Did you catch it in 3D? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen a lot of 3D movies, but this had by far the best use of 3D I've ever seen. I actually can't imagine it making sense in 2D in some places.

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2012, 10:58pm

Post #11 of 18 (728 views)
Shortcut
I loved the 3D... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're right, it definitely had the best 3D use that I've yet seen. But I'm not sure I agree that it doesn't work in 2D. Certainly, certain shots will lose something in the translation, but the photography is quite breathtaking even without the 3rd dimension. Also, the film itself is so strong in terms of its story and acting, that I think that will shine through even at home on a 2D screen.

I actually look forward to the Blu-ray since the detail will be immaculate. Still, I may purchase the 3D set - on the off chance that I one day get a 3D tv. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 25 2012, 8:31am

Post #12 of 18 (712 views)
Shortcut
It will win BP. [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry. I follow the Oscars every year, and have read a number of books on the subject too. There's a cardinal rule in the Academy that is rarely if ever broken: the Best Picure winner must be about America or an American story, AND be directed by a well-known American director;
-- or if it a film by a foreign director, it is all the more so that it be an "American" story *and* not have been too well loved or acclaimed by foreign (read: non-British, ie BAFTAS) awards bodies. (Example: Martin Scorcese, winning BP for "The Godfathers 1 and 2" but "Apocalypse Now" winning the Palme D'Or (like The Artist?) and losing BP here. I don't know how many times the Academy has awarded Best Picture to films embraced at Cannes, but it's extremely rare.

This seems to me like the race between Gladiator and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon--The Artist is not a "foreign" film per se, even though most people have never heard of the director and can't yet pronouce his name even if they haveTongueSly, Crouching Tiger was on a roll to win, it was embraced by everyone you can think of, but Gladiator won--I think the only reason it won was to stop the Hong Kong film winning. The Artist seems to be on a roll now, and its subject is nothing less than a history of cinema, but there has to be a reason why Hugo got so many noms. The film with the most almost always wins. The only times it hasn't was when there was a huge film out there that made a ton of money and was a beloved 'sleeper" film.

Money. The Artist has only made something like 10-12 mil. If box office doesn't pick up, expect a huge backlash to begin. Among the guilds I mean. I'll be watching closely to see which films jump at the boxffice this wknd and how much.

Harvey Weinstein. There are many in AMPAS who still hate him, after the ruthless tactics he overplayed his hand with in the early Aughts. The last film he hawked this ruthlessly was Scorcese's Gangs of New York in 2002, which got 10 nomsbut no wins. Not due to Scorcese, but Weinstein's tactics. and his amassing of power in the industry. He burned his boats with a LOT of people and even though Mirimax is gone and films he produces still gets lots of noms, in recent yrs he's hd almost no wins, even small ones.The Academy doesn't forget--the Oscars have always been first and foremost a popularity contest
The Artist is Harvey's baby and his paws were all over it from day One, esp at Cannes. If people stil loved harvey, there would be a Pic/Director split this year with Marty taking Best Director and The Artist Best Picture. But I don't see Hugo getting 11 noms and just a Director win!

++++Now, about the contest--a couple weeks back I went on an epic mini-rant about the perfidy of the Music Branch of AMPAS, (in the Hobbit section--maybe someone can find the link?:)and it seems to have panned out exactly as I predicted. John Williams *twice*, (remember what I said about JW, and the insularity of the voters), no Trent Renor for Dragon tatoo score (remember what I said about the Academy's bias against "composers from non-traditional backgrounds"), and no new faces.
I also said that my seeing Hugo was contingent on Shore getting a nom, so now I can finally see it...we've an abundance of art-house theaters with good 3D systems, so I can see it this weekend. Smile I guess he's arrived..AMPAS has invited him to the "inner circle"..like JW he's "arrived"..I am overjoyed.
Problem is, if he wins, then he can't win for TH! Crazy

Congradulations and God bless, Mr Shore, you and Rooney Mara are my only reasons to pay attention to Oscar this yr. The rest is a sham...if someone cares to hear more, but I'll spare you for now, all my gripes:)

And Bret...funny how being in the DVD-only version of a BP nominated film for 3 seconds can even take you on a journey that a decade later will change your life. Seeing as there are only 2 BEst Song noms (!!!!!!!!!! No Mary Blige for "The HElp" song??!) and the other is from Ri, I think it's safe to say that he will win an Oscar! Which means he too will have "arrived"..bret, you're aobut to find out how that big gold statue can change your life and career, for the better! I could not be more happy for him too!

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 25 2012, 9:19am

Post #13 of 18 (709 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see how excited people are, may I respectfully point out [In reply to] Can't Post

that this man is a successful musician and comedian, and that the whole 'Figwit' thing is pretty minor, in my opinion. I know a lot of people who are big Flight of the Conchords fans, and none of them had any idea he was in LOTR until I told them.
I know lots of people really like that 'Figwit' thing, so I don't want to be too mean about it, but Bret McKenzie would have been successful without it.
Although I take an interest in the glitz and excitement of the Oscars (and the frocks Cool), the actual awards mean little to me. They seem to have so little to do with anything I value in films.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 25 2012, 11:52am

Post #14 of 18 (691 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I simply meant some shots wouldn't translate as well in 2D... [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly the story would still make sense and the photography would still be amazing. But some specific shots (The Lumière Brothers' train and the falling pieces of paper) Julst wouldn't have the same effect in 2D.

Also, Christopher Lee needs to be seen in 3D. He's just too epic for today's puny 2D cameras. I'm not making this up, 2D cameras literally fall apart if you point them toward Christopher Lee. Fact!

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2012, 3:10pm

Post #15 of 18 (693 views)
Shortcut
I don't see what's bad with many LotR people firstly thinking of him as "Figwit" [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't take anything away from him or his more impressive achievements.

And many people do not know anything about either Figwit or the Conchords.

<3 Gandy, Raddy, Sharkey, Ally & Pally <3

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25 2012, 5:46pm

Post #16 of 18 (693 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo!!! GO BRET!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 26 2012, 7:13am

Post #17 of 18 (685 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

were they FOTC fans before LOTR? I'll bet internationally, a lot of people had never heard of FOTC back then. Some did, but I'd bet you most fans hadn't at that point. And Bret didn't stay in NZ--he Went Hollywood. So to speak. IMO Bret needed the international exposure LOTR gave him to get a leg up in his career as both. Before the Kiwis on here jump in, may I respectfully point out what "the guy who played Eomer" did after TTT....sorryTongueSly
Hopefully someday Kiwis (and Aussies, etc) may not need to goHollywood to get that Oscar or in that globally recognised film. After "Whale Rider", where did it all go? Maybe I'm wrong, I wish NZ all the best.

I have never thought of him as "just Figwit." Bret is a great musician, and I was overjoyed when I heard of this.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2012, 5:37am

Post #18 of 18 (727 views)
Shortcut
I hope so. Still, win or no... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it is nice that the film was able to garner so many nominations. In light of the "night of eternal bliss" (as I call Oscar Night 2004), they can make any future decisions they want with regard to the winners. All I have to do is watch RotK or the Oscar telecast that rewarded it, and I get the warm fuzzies. Smile No decision they make can undo the good will I feel toward them for their generosity that year.

Still, it wouldn't suck for Hugo to win the big one. Smile

- T.E. Lawrence

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.