Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Looking for fan art

bookworm

Jan 21 2012, 8:36am

Post #1 of 2 (470 views)
Shortcut
Looking for fan art Can't Post

To celebrate the 75th anniversary of the publication of The Hobbit and of course the film release I am planning on creating various displays of all things Tolkien through out the book store in which I work.

When the excitement of this idea calmed down it became clear that although we are all creative people none of us can draw (we tried to make a poster to celebrate the Chinese new year, the year of the dragon, with a drawing of Smaug. The results were quite funny!).

New even more exciting idea... ask Tolkien fans to provide the artwork. So I'm just putting out the feelers to see if it's something in which people are interested.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 21 2012, 6:21pm

Post #2 of 2 (434 views)
Shortcut
There is more art than just drawings [In reply to] Can't Post

A few thoughts.

It might out your location to give more info on the store, but it might get people (here) more interested and more likely to respond. Maybe you can share a little about what your bookstore is like.

You might hold a 'gallery showing' of art and publicize it in your hometown and challenge/invite local artists to submit work (and it would be cool to have let all ages and abilities participate rather than have a 'juried' show but that would be a marketing call on the bookstore's part). This would mean more publicity for you since you might even get some local new/interest sort of coverage with the papers, tv stations, etc. You could also let people come to the store and vote on their favorite (maybe have categories sorted by age and/or ability ... so 8 year olds aren't competing against 40 year olds and hobby crafters aren't competing against accomplished artists). If an 8 year old has entered something.. think of all the aunties and grandparents who might want to stop by to see it! ;^) You might be surprised to find there are Tolkien fans in your hometown that would love to show their work.

You might only have room for certain types of art but 'art' also takes the form of needlework, pottery, dollmaking, knitting, calligraphy, costume making, armor making, etc. Think wide... as in a wide range of possibilities.

As to the feelers you are putting out... I don't draw. Not enough to brag about, anyhow. So I can't help you out there. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.