Shortcut
Actually, I didn't write that... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Otaku-semai wrote: We suppose we might have:

Celeborn
Erestor
Glorfindel
Elladan/Elrohir

That was a quote from Captain Salt's post.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 18 2012, 11:48pm

Post #52 of 85 (399 views)
Shortcut
*Spews ale through nose LOL*// [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2012, 12:08am

Post #53 of 85 (373 views)
Shortcut
BTW [In reply to] Can't Post

Just noticed my error: I meant, "I suppose we might have", not "we suppose we might have" which is somewhat incoherent!

Damn my typing impediment! Laugh

Sorry for the tyop! Tongue

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jan 19 2012, 12:16am)

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 19 2012, 1:36am

Post #54 of 85 (366 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't sure about GDT [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first heard that GDT was onboard I wasn't sure (Pan's Labyrinth was the only movie of his that I liked) but I began to realise that his fresh insight into TH would be helpful for making TH stand up against LotR.

I agree that audiences will notice the similarities more easily, which is why I want the filmmakers to try different things during scenes like the White Council.. since audiences may already be thinking "Oh, a council scene, like LotR."

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Jan 19 2012, 2:08am

Post #55 of 85 (343 views)
Shortcut
oops...sorry otaku [In reply to] Can't Post

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jan 19 2012, 4:54am

Post #56 of 85 (337 views)
Shortcut
if martin csokas wasn't cast due to scheduling conflicts [In reply to] Can't Post

they will probably (or not) explain that Celeborn decided to remain in Lothlorian and watch the fort while Galadriel was out playing war.

Unsure

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jan 19 2012, 5:03am

Post #57 of 85 (407 views)
Shortcut
did you not see that article a few months ago where it mentioned GDT's ideas? [In reply to] Can't Post

well it made it quite clear that he would've destroyed these movies

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 19 2012, 6:02am

Post #58 of 85 (318 views)
Shortcut
What article? [In reply to] Can't Post

Could you link to the article? I guess we'll never know what it might have been like had he been at the helm the whole way through - could have turned out horribly cheesy like Hell Boy was, (imo).. or it could have turned out creepy and beautiful like Pans Labyrinth was.

I'm just glad that PJ & Co have had the opportunity to bounce their ideas off a newcomer to the project.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jan 19 2012, 6:22am

Post #59 of 85 (320 views)
Shortcut
it was in some scans from a magazine but it looks like you can't access it anymore [In reply to] Can't Post

I went through my post history because I knew I'd posted about it and found the thread
http://newboards.theonering.net/..._latest_reply;so=ASC
maybe someone else posted another link somewhere in there but anyway that's where people were talking about.

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 19 2012, 6:55am

Post #60 of 85 (335 views)
Shortcut
I found it [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're talking about the August issue of Empire? I read the article and it does seem a bit off putting - all that talk of mechanics and steampunk - but we really don't know from a couple of paragraphs how it would have turned out. I think it worked out perfectly though, with PJ at the helm, but having had an outside influence to freshen up his imagination and allow him to think outside the square :)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 19 2012, 2:41pm

Post #61 of 85 (268 views)
Shortcut
Not a problem... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was largely (although not completely) in agreement with the Cap'n.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 19 2012, 2:50pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 19 2012, 2:45pm

Post #62 of 85 (286 views)
Shortcut
I think that he is referring to the long New Yorker (?) interview [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think you're talking about the August issue of Empire? I read the article and it does seem a bit off putting - all that talk of mechanics and steampunk - but we really don't know from a couple of paragraphs how it would have turned out. I think it worked out perfectly though, with PJ at the helm, but having had an outside influence to freshen up his imagination and allow him to think outside the square :)

The interview that I'm thinking of was from maybe a year ago (give or take). It contained GdT's first public statements about Smaug's possible design and mentioned some things that he was designing like the Troll-warriors with armor that allowed them to roll up into balls.

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 19 2012, 2:50pm

Post #63 of 85 (277 views)
Shortcut
The Empire article [In reply to] Can't Post

from August does mention those things, too. It seems like a strange direction and I am glad it has probably not gone that way with PJ directing. I'm so curious to see how many of GDTs designs appear in the movie. I hope that in the appendices of the DVDs they'll talk more openly about who came up with each idea!

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Jan 19 2012, 4:07pm

Post #64 of 85 (290 views)
Shortcut
A few comments on the matter . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

1) it's good to see someone other than me annoyed at the complete exclusion of Glorfindel thus far . . . he is one of the great figures of the entire mythos, and I would love to see him included to some extent.

2) the thought about connecting Gandalf, Thrain and a scouting mission to Dol Guldur is a good one. Gandalf visited Dol Guldur some 90-100 years before the events in The Hobbit. Thrain died at the same time! So, I expect we'll get at least a mention (possibly a mention with a few flashbacks).

3) i firmly believe that, despite the fact that Saruman is still 'Saruman the White' and leader of the council, we will be given obvious hints to his coming change . . . hints that the others of the White Council will be completely oblivious to. Christopher Lee was probably
quite keen on taking the role once again when told that he would be able to portray Saruman as he began his descent into darkness . . .

4) i must make a comment at this point, unfortunately, at the expense of Professor Tolkien. It always seemed that his characters, especially Gandalf, seemed to take a great deal of time to investigate their own suspicions. He was hundreds of years between hearing of an evil presence in Mirkwood and checking it out. It was almost 100 years between Gandalf confirming that it was Sauron, and the strike by the White Council. And, of course, there is the whole decades that he took between Frodo taking over the Ring and Gandalf being convinced that it was THE Ring.

Not necessarily criticizing . . . just sayin' . . .

"I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!"

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 19 2012, 5:56pm

Post #65 of 85 (264 views)
Shortcut
Yeah GDT had some fascinating ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember they did that online talk a long while ago where GDT mentioned some creature concepts. For my own money troll warriors that roll up into balls sounds like sci-fi to me, it would have been jarring.

Smaug could be very 'out there' though.I think that the European style of dragon wouldn't excite anyone now, as we've seen these over and over again, that's why I think they're striving to be innovative with the design. Will it 'fit' into the style they've established for LOTR? We don't know....look into the Mirror of Galadriel and it only shows things that might be...

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Jan 19 2012, 7:11pm

Post #66 of 85 (256 views)
Shortcut
Yikes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Rostron2 wrote: I remember they did that online talk a long while ago where GDT mentioned some creature concepts...troll warriors that roll up into balls ...

Bowling ball trolls??!!? I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 19 2012, 7:16pm

Post #67 of 85 (228 views)
Shortcut
Agree with #4! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
4) i must make a comment at this point, unfortunately, at the expense of Professor Tolkien. It always seemed that his characters, especially Gandalf, seemed to take a great deal of time to investigate their own suspicions. He was hundreds of years between hearing of an evil presence in Mirkwood and checking it out. It was almost 100 years between Gandalf confirming that it was Sauron, and the strike by the White Council. And, of course, there is the whole decades that he took between Frodo taking over the Ring and Gandalf being convinced that it was THE Ring.

I suppose that if you're thousands of years old time doesn't mean quite the same as it does to mortals!

Stay tuned for a Reading Room discussion of Tolkien: A Cultural Phenomenon by Brian Rosebury, starting January 23!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Danielos
Rohan

Jan 19 2012, 7:25pm

Post #68 of 85 (261 views)
Shortcut
A battle without casualties [In reply to] Can't Post

Won´t the Necromancer subplot be pretty anti-climactic anyway? Everyone already knows that all major participants need to survive and that Sauron will have to lose. It might look spectacular, but would the audience really feel that much tension about what´s going to happen?

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Jan 19 2012, 7:32pm

Post #69 of 85 (235 views)
Shortcut
A good point there . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Makes me more sure that the Dol Guldur climax will be well before the FO5A . . . hard to believe it can be too satisfying . . . could be wrong, though . . . PJ could blow it out of proportion.

"I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!"

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jan 19 2012, 10:56pm

Post #70 of 85 (243 views)
Shortcut
A battle without casualties? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is why I'm suggesting we meet other members of the White Council.

Give them names, make them cool. We're bound to lose some of them in the confrontation with the Necromancer.

That's why I'm suggesting Glorfindel. With his history and power, he's the ideal character for that sort of thing.

Of course, any back-up team is bound to suffer casualties, too.

I would place the conclusion of the assault at Dol Guldur, as being just before Smaug attacks Lake-town.

I would make the siege of Dol Guldur the smallest battle, then the destruction of Lake-town (if you can call it a battle), and then the BO5A.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Jan 19 2012, 11:02pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 19 2012, 11:02pm

Post #71 of 85 (198 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that was my reaction as well...yeesh [In reply to] Can't Post

Why not re-design the orcs while you're at it.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jan 19 2012, 11:05pm

Post #72 of 85 (190 views)
Shortcut
I think your suggestion - [In reply to] Can't Post

Why not re-design the orcs while you're at it.

- has been considered. We may see a new race of Orcs (or Goblins) in the Hobbit movies.

I believe they're already redesigning the Wargs.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Jan 19 2012, 11:07pm)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 19 2012, 11:15pm

Post #73 of 85 (212 views)
Shortcut
Jackson has already apologized... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for the TTT wargs, in one of the EE features. Somehow the design work on them got ignored until too late. So, I expect much better wargs this time.

Stay tuned for a Reading Room discussion of Tolkien: A Cultural Phenomenon by Brian Rosebury, starting January 23!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 19 2012, 11:17pm

Post #74 of 85 (241 views)
Shortcut
There's always Radagast. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the last few years there have been several threads suggesting that he could be a casualty. Not canon, but...

vexx801
Rivendell

Jan 20 2012, 3:33am

Post #75 of 85 (176 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

I had also noticed that in the trailer, when Galadriel and Gandalf are seen, they appear to be standing next to a location that looks very similar to the set seen in the videos - where Lee was sitting in the chair with the green screen in the background and seen briefly elsewhere in one of the vlogs. Subsequently, it brought me to the conclusion that the scene with Galadriel and Gandalf standing near where the White Council met were either in a break or just ended a difficult discussion, and Galadriel can tell that Gandalf is under pressure, so the two old friends simply talk, and she attempts to cheer him up a bit, or encourage him.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.