Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Favourite soundtrack?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 19 2012, 8:12pm

Post #26 of 36 (352 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn Harold! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just want to say that your nick cracked me up! Laugh

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 19 2012, 10:05pm

Post #27 of 36 (362 views)
Shortcut
I choose Door #4... [In reply to] Can't Post

The journey the major themes go through throughout the three films, as others have mentioned, is masterfully done. That said, I have a hard time choosing one particular soundtrack as a favorite over the other two. There are certain themes that I gravitate toward and enjoy following as they travel throughout the extended score of LotR - the "Shire," "Fellowship," "Rohan" and "Ring " themes among them. There are also the many songs that so beautifully draw on Tolkien's poetry; what had before seemed a bit 'soggy' to me became sublime when set to music so grounded in the world of the LotR movies. I'll dare to add, I'm looking forward to Shore's treatment of the Dwarve's singing in TH. (any more I want to say on that topic will go on the other board!)

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

FantasyFan
Rohan

Jan 20 2012, 1:40pm

Post #28 of 36 (365 views)
Shortcut
the beacons [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I heard the complete recordings version, I actually stopped the disc after the beacons.

"What did I just hear?"

I also prefer the OST version. And since I had that disc at my bedside and played it for months as "go to sleep" music, it is much more familiar to me. (I was almost always asleep before the louder battle parts started)

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2012, 6:48am

Post #29 of 36 (365 views)
Shortcut
Very insightful, and beautifully put [In reply to] Can't Post

First let me say, thanks for bringing up Gollum's Theme. How could I forget it? It's so haunting, and Emiliana Torrini's voice is absolutely amazing!

I'm also glad that I'm not the only one who has such a strong reaction to Into the West. However, I think that if it were any more melancholic or grand, or if it were more ethereal and less pop, I couldn't have borne it while watching the ending in the theatre. The theatre manager would have had to mop me up off the floor.Blush I think there is something about the seeming simplicity that makes it all the more poignant. Annie's voice is key; the same song sung by someone with a less crystalline, pure voice may not have the same effect on me. I don't know. I'm going to have to brace myself and try listening to it again and try to identify just what it is that gets to me. But I'm sure much of it is due to the reasons you so eloquently gave.

jschomburg
Rivendell

Jan 21 2012, 4:30pm

Post #30 of 36 (307 views)
Shortcut
Never heard that version... [In reply to] Can't Post

Very nice, really enjoyed it.

jschomburg
Rivendell

Jan 21 2012, 4:47pm

Post #31 of 36 (305 views)
Shortcut
I agree, favorites change... [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR I guess is my favorite sound track. I also really like the Breaking of the Fellowship, and also The Bridge of Khazad Dume, especailly the end where they come out of the mines after the fall of Gandalf. So many favorites, as I write I keep thinking of more.

jschomburg
Rivendell

Jan 21 2012, 5:09pm

Post #32 of 36 (317 views)
Shortcut
Favorites changing by the minute... [In reply to] Can't Post

At work today (Saturday-busy time of the year), have the FOTR playing on my iPod (May it Be - Enya), will soon have TTT playing, then on to ROTK. Can't get enough of the music and really looking forward to the new music for The Hobbit.

(This post was edited by jschomburg on Jan 21 2012, 5:12pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 21 2012, 5:43pm

Post #33 of 36 (338 views)
Shortcut
more on the theme of endings [In reply to] Can't Post

from my perspective... are on my website:

http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...the_king.htm#endings

http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...he_west.htm#thoughts (Pretty much what was copied here)

This may not be what is haunting you about Into the West, though. I don't mean to explain your reaction. Only to share mine. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Jan 22 2012, 6:58am

Post #34 of 36 (300 views)
Shortcut
This is very difficult [In reply to] Can't Post

because all three of them are superlative in my opinion but when Aragorn sings at his coronation that is one of my favorite music moments in ROTK. It's so unexpected and soulful but solemn at the same time. Just beautiful.

Then there is the theme of Gondor, Arwen's song in the Houses of Healing. In TT I love the Rivendell theme in the minor chords, and the music when Elrond tells his daughter what will happen to her if she stays in Middle Earth.

But my favorite film score out of the three is FOTR. Out of all of this great music, the Shire/Hobbit themes are my very favorites of all and then Enya's song May It Be and the song In Dreams. I also love the Lorien elves theme and the diagetic music when Frodo and Sam see elves leaving ME.

I suppose that was a long-winded answer! :)

This tale grew in the telling. . .

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2012, 7:13am

Post #35 of 36 (343 views)
Shortcut
Finally screwed up courage to listen to Into the West again [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I watched Annie Lennox's performance at the Oscars. Hearing the song in isolation, so to speak, and not after just watching Frodo and the others sailing away from the Grey Havens, nor at the end of the ROTK soundtrack, gives me more perspective. At first I thought, as you had said, that's it's a rather sweet pop song, that's all. But then the music swells and Annie sings, "What do you see Over the horizon? Why do the white gulls sing?" and I got all goose-pimply; I thought I was going to lose it, but I didn't.

So I think the reaction I had had to the song before was in part: a release after all the emotions of the film; the beauty of the music, lyrics and voice of Annie Lennox; and a lot of what you wrote about - endings and saying good-bye.

So, thanks to you, Magpie,Smile I think I can now enjoy this beautiful song - in isolation say, if it comes up randomly on my iPod.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jan 22 2012, 7:14am)

apariel
The Shire

Jan 25 2012, 10:40pm

Post #36 of 36 (402 views)
Shortcut
...best bit of the soundtrack... hard decision... [In reply to] Can't Post

For the overall sound track I choose The Two Towers...
But there are various bits I fell in love with:

- There is one moment in Moria, when in FotR they get to see the great and ancient dwarven city... wow, so powerful,
- This tiny bit of music at the side of Mount Doom, when Frodo tries to crawl to the Cracks, whilest this solo flute puts in a few notes of hope and despair!
- and finally: still can't watch "the beacons are lit" form RotK without tears in my eyes (so I agree completely!)

I love this music so much, that I try to attend every "live to projection" concerts anywhere in Europe...
Saw all three of them in one week in Munich - that was great!!!

Have a great time.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.