Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Favourite soundtrack?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 18 2012, 11:11am

Post #1 of 36 (1875 views)
Shortcut
Favourite soundtrack? Can't Post

I'm sure this has been dicussed many times before but I don't think there has been a thread recently, and I'd really like to know...

What's your favourite soundtrack out of the three movies? How about favourite song or theme?

Personally I love the FotR soundtrack the most. It's powerful and the themes are all really distinctive. Second favourite is RotK, because I love the way the music often has a sense of urgency and tension, so when you get those quiet moments (Such as in 'Twilight and Shadow') they sound even more soothing and peaceful (and sad, too).

I couldn't decide on a favourite song, but I remember seeing Return of the King for the first time, and I bawled my eyes out throughout the scene where Aragorn is crowned. The music starting, then most of it fading away so it's pretty much just Aragorn singing, and then the way it lifts to a higher note when he sees Arwen and then on to some of the other themes we've heard throughout the trilogy... that was the really emotionally satisfying part for me. I got closure from that scene that the book couldn't even give me. FINALLY Aragorn is crowned King, and finally gets to be with Arwen, and I feel like everything's going to be okay :)

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2012, 11:47am

Post #2 of 36 (1373 views)
Shortcut
Extremely tough decision there....but as a soundtrack it has to be "The Crack of Doom" from the CRecordings [In reply to] Can't Post

It is just so powerful and is such a perfect, emotional and atmospheric conclusion to LOTR. It's so sad but happy at the same time.

My favourite Shore theme of all time though would have to be the "A Far Green Country/Grey Havens" theme. Hands down. Its wonderful Cello line is just perfect. Touching and hits me with emotion.

:)

"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama"

Let us then continue Tolkien's Legendarium!

ThorinII
The Shire

Jan 18 2012, 11:50am

Post #3 of 36 (1371 views)
Shortcut
FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite soundtrack is the FOTR because Howard Shore's music fitted so well with Middle-Earth. My favorite song is the Steward of Gondor especially the part when Billy Boyd starts singing.

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 18 2012, 11:56am

Post #4 of 36 (1344 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was really surprised (in a good way!) when Billy Boyd started singing in that scene. The songs had been neglected so much throughout the previous films that I didn't expect to be any until the very end. I was so pleased with this and, of course, Viggo Mortensen singing at the return of the king :)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 18 2012, 2:27pm

Post #5 of 36 (1365 views)
Shortcut
When asked to pick, I always choose "Crack of Doom" [In reply to] Can't Post

...because I figure no one else will and it is not only a spectacular moment ... but, I wager, the emotional acme of the movies.

It's good to see a like mind! :-)

The first time I heard that track, it was available for streaming online before it was actually released. I reported (on Doug's blog) that at a particular moment in Crack of Doom, I wanted to stand up and shout. Another poster replied, "I did."

But I think declaring favorites is just a futile exercise. I could easily pick 10 moments that are very close in their affection for me... tapping into different sorts of emotions. And I throw 10 out easily... it could be 20 for all I know.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 18 2012, 2:29pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 18 2012, 5:27pm

Post #6 of 36 (1336 views)
Shortcut
Aniron [In reply to] Can't Post

This was released very early before the movie came out, so I'd been hearing it the longest. However, when I saw it and what scene it belonged to, it was an instant favorite. The underscoring of Aragorn and Arwen's little meetup, as well as the skilful use of elvish made that scene work.

Of course I like tracks from all over the albums, but that one is sort of special.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 18 2012, 5:34pm

Post #7 of 36 (1336 views)
Shortcut
Dwarrowdelf. / [In reply to] Can't Post

"Oh, Gandalf, Gandalf, you fool! Can’t you see how I feel?"
"Yeah, I see. I see our troubles don’t amount to a hill of beans. You belong with Celeborn. And I need to go find the only one who can save us."

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 18 2012, 7:16pm

Post #8 of 36 (1330 views)
Shortcut
The Two Towers [In reply to] Can't Post

is my favourite soundtrack overall. I need to think a bit more to choose any specific pieces of music.

One that does spring to mind is from Return of the King. It's only a snippet, and happens when Aragorn is outside and notices the beacons have been lit. The music fits so perfectly with the mood as he runs up the steps to inform Theoden. I just love it!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2012, 7:52pm

Post #9 of 36 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Nice Magpie! Great minds think alike etc. hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

I love all of the music for LOTR films of course.

A close favourite after Crack of Doom is The Grace of Undomiel, and then very close after that, the opening music sequence to the TT, Foundations of Stone.

Such amazingly powerful and brilliant pieces.

Smile

"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama"

Let us then continue Tolkien's Legendarium!

Gorbag
Rivendell

Jan 18 2012, 10:51pm

Post #10 of 36 (1324 views)
Shortcut
FOTR and Concerning Hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

Ive always loved ''Concerning Hobbits'', such a beautiful bit of work. As for a album whole, if pressed i would say FOTR.

"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

(This post was edited by Gorbag on Jan 18 2012, 10:52pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 18 2012, 10:55pm

Post #11 of 36 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Hola Gorbag [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that would have been my second choice. It's just...perfect for the hobbits. I'm sure we'll hear some echoes of it in the new films.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 19 2012, 12:56am

Post #12 of 36 (1354 views)
Shortcut
Have you heard the 'alternate' version of this song? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.amazon.com/...I2/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=112ywQAyLt8

LOTR soundtrack website

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 19 2012, 12:59am

Post #13 of 36 (1320 views)
Shortcut
I believe we heard 'echoes' of it in the Hobbit trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, I think echoes is perhaps not the most apt word. The Shire in The Hobbit predates the Shire we see in LOTR and I think Shore will take that into account when writing for TH. But the music at the beginning of the trailer definitely had the same 'flavor' as the Rural Setting of the Shire Theme which is what we hear in Concerning Hobbits.

LOTR soundtrack website

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Jan 19 2012, 2:14am

Post #14 of 36 (1328 views)
Shortcut
ROTK and Breaking of the Fellowship [In reply to] Can't Post

...for somewhat opposite reasons.

Of course, it's impossible to really pick favorites. Ask again in three months and get a different answer.

I am fascinated by the architecture of the themes and how they change as the story progresses, so that is why I pick ROTK for soundtrack. ROTK is where things really start happening within the established themes; motifs are modified, they resurface from FOTR, they are merged, tricks are played, secrets are revealed...it's mind-blowing!

"The Breaking of the Fellowship" track from the FOTR-OST is what I would pick today as my favorite, but in this case it's not the architecture, it's the emotional content. The scene has so many distinct emotional elements, and somehow the music manages to convey each of them with beauty and subtlety. Amazing.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 19 2012, 2:24am

Post #15 of 36 (1294 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORN! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to have you with us. I love your nick; very funny! I look forward to seeing you around the boards. Cool

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 19 2012, 3:12am

Post #16 of 36 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Hey, old friend. I am thrilled to see you here! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be great to have you join our discussions. :-)

Harold has written some really wonderful posts on the LOTR music (and lots of other topics) at imdb. I hope to add some of his music posts to my site at some point.

LOTR soundtrack website

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2012, 7:29am

Post #17 of 36 (1326 views)
Shortcut
I looove Into the West, but I can't listen to it [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if it's the theme of passing on, or if it's the association with the end of the trilogy and the thought that there are no films to come (except now with TH :) ), or if it's just that beautiful, but I literally sob when I hear it. I don't just tear up and get a lump in my throat, I seriously boo-hoo .Blush

I adore just about every note written by Howard Shore, but if I had to choose, I'd say my favorite overall soundtrack is FOTR. They are all fantastic, but FOTR is, I guess, a sentimental favorite. A stand out scene for me would be The Bridge of Khazad Dum. I love the use of the Maori Choir chanting in dwarvish. The music is so critical to the build up of dramatic tension. Then there's the fall of Gandalf, and the harsh, pounding music gives way to softness and the piercingly beautiful woman's voice which perfectly reflects the looks of shock and grief on the faces of the fellowship as they exit Moria. It gives me chills every time.

I also have a special fondness for the music of Rohan in TT. The sound of the Norwegian violin (I think that's what they said it was in the commentary) is very evocative and poignant.

FantasyFan
Rohan

Jan 19 2012, 12:27pm

Post #18 of 36 (1286 views)
Shortcut
yes to both [In reply to] Can't Post

Specifically, I love the rendition of "Breaking of the Fellowship" that was done by the NZ Orchestra and plays during the extended credits on the EE (Starting about at the names beginning with "O"). It is a somewhat fuller, more dramatic rendition with slightly different pacing, recorded for an earlier edit of the scene. The orchestra is wonderfully emotive.

And as a soundtrack, ROTK has always been my favorite. The themes flow so well, I can see every scene in my head as they play. I love the version of the lighting of the beacons included. And letting the whole last half of the disc be an almost seamless recap of the ending of the movie, from the black gate through Mt. Doom, Frodo's awakening and Aragorn's coronation, the return to the Shire, and the Grey Havens runs me through the whole gamut of emotions that the movie evokes. I think it's brilliant.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

eralkfang
Lorien

Jan 19 2012, 2:27pm

Post #19 of 36 (1280 views)
Shortcut
What a tough question! [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie, that version of "Aniron" is fantastic!

I want to go to The Fellowship of the Ring, since I listen to it the most (I have to listen to them in order!), but it lacks any Rohan themes, and those are just so heart-wrenchingly beautiful… I'll go for The Return of the King, as it resolves so many of the themes and returns to those introduced in the prior two films.

I know it's not a popular piece, but the piece of music from the films that's been lodged in my head forever is "Arwen's Song", from "The Houses of Healing". I love the way it connects Arwen a little to the proceedings, I love the lyrics, and, most of all, I love the musical cue that occurs when Éowyn opens her eyes. There's other pieces I love equally, but I find myself humming it (and "Aniron") more often.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 19 2012, 2:30pm

Post #20 of 36 (1309 views)
Shortcut
One difference about Into the West... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's something I wrote to friends back in Dec 2003:

I liked the song "Into the West" better almost immediately after hearing the full version, and I liked it more each time I heard it. And then I started to notice how the music after "Into the West" just faded away. In FOTR we have the melancholy "In Dreams" and foreboding but reassuring "May It Be" that is followed by a grand reprise of the Shire and Fellowship theme. The music ends on a positive note that make me anticipate the next installment.

In TTT, we get the snaky Gollum's Theme. Ohh... I grew to appreciate this song, the way Emiliana Torrini's voice changed from Slinker to Stinker... and that echo when she sings the line, "And you will weep, when you face the end alone." It's menacing in such a subtle way. The menace of something that may look pathetic and pitiable but contains hidden resentment and resolve. Then the music moves into a heroic version of the Rohan theme. Men will prevail! Even through threat and darkness. And then one last sweet phrase with a ba-bum of conclusion. We will return...(to the movies.)

But ROTK... ah -- something was different. I was worried that "Into the West" would be too pop. And it is pop in the sense that it resembles contemporary music and will be/is accessible to listeners outside the realm of Tolkien obsession. But it was rather straightforward. I wasn't getting strong senses of melancholy, pathos, heroism, grandness... It was just sweet. (In a pleasurable way for me) And then the singing ends and the music just.. drifts.... away.......

AHH, I couldn't bear it. I knew that I would soon hear that music played over the ending credits and it would be over. And although I love the books, the movies have given me great pleasure in many ways. Facing the end of these films was a revisit to the emotions I felt at the end of that summer read. The end of this track evokes the end of the movie evokes the end of the story and all the emotions that engenders.

For a long time I couldn't listen to the end of the track. Annie would finish singing and the orchestra would start and I would jab at the next track button (which bumped it back to track 1, of course). I can listen to it now, but it hurts.

The story is no longer melancholy or heroic or grand. It is over. The ship has slipped through the curtain and Sam will hold his child and although life goes on, the story is over. The music finishes the story in the same vein as Tolkien finishes the book and I thank Howard Shore for 'feeling' the story as well as scoring it.

LOTR soundtrack website

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 19 2012, 2:38pm

Post #21 of 36 (1275 views)
Shortcut
Yes! I *so* want this to be in TH [In reply to] Can't Post

Anywhere, big, little, even a hint, I just want there to be a special dwarf moment someplace in the story, where they use it again.

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Jan 19 2012, 4:45pm

Post #22 of 36 (1282 views)
Shortcut
Hello, M. Glad to be here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the welcome, from you, Silverlode, and others!

Funny that you should mention the posts on that other forum. Per your suggestion, I was considering posting one or two of them here as well. I thought I should get a feel for the community, and maybe participate a few times, before annoying everyone with a two thousand word essay.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 19 2012, 5:25pm

Post #23 of 36 (1286 views)
Shortcut
haha... [In reply to] Can't Post

You can wait if you like. But I don't think anyone will be annoyed. The LOTR board runs a little slow at times and outside of a few, core music fans... some of my past music posts haven't gotten much attention. But I'm sure your posts will delight at least a few. So don't feel you have to hesitate too long.

Each forum on the message boards has it's own rhythm and tone and posters that hang out there. I happen to think you get the best feel for the site when you visit all of them, at least once in a while. Not everyone posts (or even visits) every forum. But I think it's hard to get a feel for the boards as a whole if you only hang in one spot. So, by all means, prowl around and get a feel.

One note: the threads here do not bump to the top of the queue when you reply. They stay in the order they were posted. You can read and post in all threads but if you are posting in a thread on the second page or beyond.. it's rare anyone will catch your reply or engage you there. It is entirely acceptable to post a new thread discussing something from - or having the same topic as - an old thread.

LOTR soundtrack website

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 19 2012, 6:14pm

Post #24 of 36 (1261 views)
Shortcut
Now I have! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you!

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Jan 19 2012, 8:12pm

Post #25 of 36 (1258 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to seek that out [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the recommendation on the NZ Symphony recording. I'm not a big fan of the EEs, especially not Fellowship. I don't even own a copy on disc, and my DVRed version will be of no help, since Encore runs the credits in the background while they air promos. That music will be my excuse to get the Bluray set, perhaps.

I like the points you bring out about different versions. I have become so fond of the OST track "The White Tree" that I find the on-screen music for the beacons a little jarring and disappointing. I recently bought the Symphony recording and have been having some fun listening and making comparisons to the OST tracks with which I am familiar.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.