The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
Gamers what games did you play this week

tolkiennerd
Lorien

Jan 17 2012, 2:43am

Post #1 of 14 (657 views)
Shortcut
Gamers what games did you play this week Can't Post

I was reminded by Magpie that not all gamers are video games so I'll include all games from now on. As for me I've been playing Skyrim and Oblivion. Working on the main quest for Oblivion and on Skyrim I'm joining the guilds.

acheron
Gondor

Jan 17 2012, 1:40pm

Post #2 of 14 (500 views)
Shortcut
Started a Fallout: New Vegas character [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed Fallout 3; F:NV was on sale on Steam awhile ago so I grabbed it, and finally got around to starting it. I got maybe 2 hours of play time in. Since I live in the DC area I was predesposed to like 3's being set here; the western/Vegas theme of NV is less interesting to me. But it still seems fun so far.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 17 2012, 3:26pm

Post #3 of 14 (450 views)
Shortcut
Halo: Reach [In reply to] Can't Post

With games that are all about the multiplayer experience you might expect that a year and a half into a game's existence that the only people playing are the hardcore addicts: people exploiting a hack or too good at the game for anyone else to enjoy playing. But not with Reach. On the contrary matches seem a good mix of seasoned players and newish players (and/or people who forgot how to play), which happens to be exactly how this casual player likes it.

I've always liked the mechanics of Reach. As well, the special abilities (jet packs, active camo, and so on), the increased vulnerability (player armour is not as tough as it is in Halo 3), and rebalanced weapons (especially grenades) were welcome changes to the Halo experience.

At the time of it's release I think Reach suffered from there being more multiplayer choices (for instance CoD:MW2) than when Halo 3 came out. Also, though this is pure speculation on my part, following ODST and Halo Wars -- both too much of a departure from what people loved about Halos 1-3 -- meant trying to win back people driven away in disappointment with where it seemed the franchise was heading.

All this is to say it seems people seem to be giving Reach another look, perhaps in the wake of the somewhat flat experience offered in MW3... which itself bled would be fans because of the release before it: Black Ops. This kind of reflection is important because games built around the multiplayer experience rely heavily on our willingness to play them in the first place.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2012, 4:34pm

Post #4 of 14 (456 views)
Shortcut
Arkham City [In reply to] Can't Post

on the 360.....great game, not as ground-breaking as Asylum, but that would have been a tall order. Definitely more vast....still having fun with it. I beat the main storyline the other day, and most of the side quests. Now am just trying to complete all the Riddler riddles and get the Riddler trophies. Still have a few side quests to complete....I haven't picked up LOTRO since I started Arkham (only to pay rent on the hobbit house in the Shire).....I have Skyrim and will be cracking it as soon as I get my fill of Arkham....

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 17 2012, 4:43pm

Post #5 of 14 (447 views)
Shortcut
Another person putting off Skyrim? [In reply to] Can't Post

what is it about that game that makes some of us reluctant to give it a go?

Could it be that according to the buzz it is straight up digital heroin? I know myself if I perceive a game will be addictive I usually shy away from it for as long as possible... been down that road too many times not to be wary of the amount of time such games devour. Wink

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2012, 4:58pm

Post #6 of 14 (447 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am putting it off.....I have been told that if I start it and put something like Arkham aside, it may be a while before I return. My LOTRO gaming has been on serious hiatus with Arkham already, can't imagine what it will be like when I actually do crack Skyrim. The few folks that I know who have Skyrim are right into it, wholeheartedly. The 12 year old in our house has it as well, for his PS3. He's been playing a lot of it, I had decided not to play it because of the potential for addiction. But then I received a copy for my 360, and well.....with Arkham almost done, Skyrim has been haunting me. So it will be very soon. I'll have to do a run through M-E though with my characters on LOTRO, just so they don't feel anymore neglected.....Not enough time in a day SirDennis, not enough time in a day....

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 18 2012, 3:48pm

Post #7 of 14 (445 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek went FTP yesterday. [In reply to] Can't Post

So I downloaded it, but it was very late so I didn't take the time to create an account and start any characters.

Also, I've been looking over my sister's shoulder as she tries out Star Wars: The Old Republic. I'm debating giving it a try, but I haven't decided yet.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Delrond
Rohan

Jan 18 2012, 4:11pm

Post #8 of 14 (485 views)
Shortcut
Some old school [In reply to] Can't Post

games, which was nice for a change: Yahtzee, Uno and Blink. Eventually drifted back to the iPad and played Angry Birds Rio. Still haven't completed Star Wars III on the Wii yet, but am still chipping away.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2012, 3:57am

Post #9 of 14 (468 views)
Shortcut
Another one... [In reply to] Can't Post

my brother has also been putting off Skyrim due to the potential addictiveness of the game. I was chatting with him last night, he is also in Arkham City right now and looking to get another game or two in before embarking on Skyrim. I'm getting closer to starting into Skyrim.....might be by the end of the week.....

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2012, 4:40pm

Post #10 of 14 (425 views)
Shortcut
Cracked it finally... [In reply to] Can't Post

created a Nord, went through the opening scenes, and made my way to the first town in the game. Have a couple of quests to do now. I had to get some sleep so I turned it off at that point.....I like the game so far!!!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 26 2012, 5:12am

Post #11 of 14 (407 views)
Shortcut
Getting cagey in our old age lol [In reply to] Can't Post

it's not playing the game so much, it's the hang-overs.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 26 2012, 5:15am

Post #12 of 14 (457 views)
Shortcut
Soon [In reply to] Can't Post

How's the interface? Is it pretty easy to cycle through supplies/items/magic/weapons? Are you overly limited in what you can carry (my main complaint with BG Dark Alliance on PS2.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2012, 4:28am

Post #13 of 14 (512 views)
Shortcut
The interface is decent... [In reply to] Can't Post

on the Xbox, a push the 'B' button brings up a four-pointed star, which is magic, gear, map......once inside the gear section it scrolls easier than Oblivion I've found. As far as what you can carry, I have only been in Skyrim for a few minutes but was able to load up on a few pairs of armor taken from bandits to sell at a merchant....so it seems ok for now....we'll see when I get to wearing some heavier armor....

Hanny

Feb 1 2012, 6:56pm

Post #14 of 14 (620 views)
Shortcut
TATW [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lky9diYN6Qo

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.