The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Blanchett Game For ‘Hobbit,’ But Only With Jackson

calisuri
PTB

Sep 19 2007, 10:40pm

Post #1 of 16 (3675 views)
Shortcut
Blanchett Game For ‘Hobbit,’ But Only With Jackson Can't Post

MTV Movie Blog continues to snag some great 'Hobbit' film tidbits! This time around, they've caught up with Cate Blanchett and asked her if she'd be up for an appearance in a film version of 'The Hobbit':

Cate Blanchett talk Hobbit""I haven't heard a thing [about a potential 'Hobbit' film]," she declared. "But, oh God, I would love to work with Hugo [Weaving] and Peter [Jackson] again."

Blanchett is the latest "Lord of the Rings" actor to tell MTV that she'd consider playing her character again for a prequel series. Like Viggo Mortensen or Orlando Bloom, Blanchett's character doesn't exactly appear in "The Hobbit," although thanks to J.R.R. Tolkien's extensive later backstories, her insertion would be completely unproblematic. In fact, it's hard to envision a "Hobbit" film WITHOUT Galadriel, particularly if the film covers any of the period between the defeat of Smaug and the War of the Ring."

Read the full interview over at MTV!

MTV Movie Blog

The Mysterious Calisuri

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 19 2007, 10:51pm

Post #2 of 16 (2704 views)
Shortcut
All this recent flurry of news... [In reply to] Can't Post

...makes it seem like a Hobbit movie really IS going to happen sooner rather than later! Exciting stuff!

I could cope with seeing Galadriel in another movie - adding her character is less jarring than the addition of some characters would be. And Cate's always fabulous. I love that all the actors are voicing their support for PJ - it is going to be VERY hard for anyone to make a convincing, successful movie if they are not PJ, with all the groundswell going on... which is fine by me! I am one of those who does want to see PJ's Hobbit, and would rather not have to put up with anyone else's.

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

calisuri
PTB

Sep 19 2007, 10:54pm

Post #3 of 16 (2691 views)
Shortcut
I know - its crazy! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is quite cool that MTV is snagging all these quotes.

Part of me thinks we may hear something Saturday - what better day to announce something about the Hobbit film?! If New Line was smart, they'd take advantage of it.

The Mysterious Calisuri

squire
Half-elven

Sep 19 2007, 11:04pm

Post #4 of 16 (2698 views)
Shortcut
"it's hard to envision a "Hobbit" film WITHOUT Galadriel" -- * agree * disagree * no opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

If I read the article correctly the writer is putting words in Blanchett's mouth regarding 'The Hobbit' project. She says she's heard nothing, and merely expresses enthusiasm for working with Jackson etc. again. Arguably she has no idea what the plot is and that there is no role for her in the named property. And no matter what this writer may say, many people have spent years envisioning a Hobbit film without Galadriel in it.

But IF we accept that New Line has settled on a two-film project, where the first film invents Hobbit scenes never written by Tolkien and the second film invents a plot for the years between The Hobbit and LotR... IF all that is true and gets a green light in the next few years, then yes, we now know that Blanchett fans can rest easy that she is, in theory and depending on availability, not averse to reprising her Galadriel role. Although again if I read it correctly, she'd be glad to play the part without Jackson, too.

She's an actress. She doesn't say no to high-paid high-profile work years before it's even been offered to her.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 19 2007, 11:04pm

Post #5 of 16 (2654 views)
Shortcut
Oooo now THAT is an encouraging thought! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I'm all excited about this Saturday - or even Friday, with the 70th anniversary! Many auspicious events happened this weekend - what a great time to announce a final plan for a Hobbit film! Wow - that would be VERY cool. Look at me - I'm sounding all American in my excitement... Tongue I mean - 'twould indeed be a momentous and joyous thing, were that to come to pass... Laugh

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 19 2007, 11:19pm

Post #6 of 16 (2638 views)
Shortcut
heh-heh-heh... This is getting gooooood! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 19 2007, 11:20pm

Post #7 of 16 (2659 views)
Shortcut
*high five!!!* It's gonna happen, m'dear!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 19 2007, 11:21pm

Post #8 of 16 (2645 views)
Shortcut
Would Shark-boy [In reply to] Can't Post

at TBHL have something to say about that? ;)

Someone at MTV is on a crusade... and I say, let 'em have at it!!! *twitch*

sample sample

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 19 2007, 11:45pm

Post #9 of 16 (2661 views)
Shortcut
Party pooper. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm still going to dance with happiness at Cate's willingness!

*party*

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Riel
The Shire

Sep 20 2007, 12:01am

Post #10 of 16 (2654 views)
Shortcut
oooooh, that would be exciting... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if something was said Saturday! I hadn't imagined anything to be said so soon! i also am a huge PJ fan, and I don't know if I could even bare to watch the Hobbit if it was directed by any one else. Unsure I love how all the actors from LOTR continue to show their support for PJ as well. Wink hopefully we'll find out something soon.

namarie,
Riel

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."

~Galadriel

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2007, 3:34am

Post #11 of 16 (2633 views)
Shortcut
IF... [In reply to] Can't Post

they do make the two movies, I think they should have Elrond, Galadriel and Saruman....and I'm of the opinion that Weaving, Blanchett and Lee should play those parts if possible. But that's just my opinion. Jackson's team is who should be creating the movies.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Rogash
Bree

Sep 20 2007, 4:09am

Post #12 of 16 (2621 views)
Shortcut
I Hope that New Line know this ! [In reply to] Can't Post

all is in the title !

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2007, 11:56am

Post #13 of 16 (2625 views)
Shortcut
Is this what it was like back in 1999? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't around when all the announcements about 'LotR' were coming out, but it must have been exciting to get even the tiniest bit of news!

I think if PJ is involved then it's a safe bet that any of the 'LotR' cast would be more willing to do either 'The Hobbit' or the 'bridge' film. Which is, imho, a testament to PJ and the working environment he helped create.

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Patty
Immortal

Sep 20 2007, 2:10pm

Post #14 of 16 (2629 views)
Shortcut
Yes, this is similar to what it was like then, except... [In reply to] Can't Post

of course, we knew it was being made (the big hurdle) and it was then all about who the players, music, etc. were. That time was magical (frustrating, but magical) and TORN was alive with every little rumor that we got. It was great fun, and I'm hoping it's about to start again.Heart

For Gondor!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 20 2007, 6:15pm

Post #15 of 16 (2575 views)
Shortcut
Actually, I can just hear you saying both of those things :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Wow - that would be VERY cool. Look at me - I'm sounding all American in my excitement... Tongue I mean - 'twould indeed be a momentous and joyous thing, were that to come to pass... Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Elven
Valinor

Sep 21 2007, 10:43am

Post #16 of 16 (2603 views)
Shortcut
Its hard enough ... [In reply to] Can't Post

to get a smile sometimes out of Cate Blanchett let alone a comment! (and I say that in the nicest possible way - truely, she is so dignified and cautious) ...
This is verrrrrrry encouraging!!!
Quick check schedules for them all - Im looking for a sychronized gap ... teehee ... Wink

AgggHHHH!!!!
I would love to see Galadriel again!!! and Hugo! He's awesome!!
and David and John ... errr ... OK John might be a bit hard to fit in there ... Wink

Elven x

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.