Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Where did the Films IMPROVE ON the telling of the LOTR?

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Jan 7 2012, 5:38pm

Views: 2009
Shortcut
Where did the Films IMPROVE ON the telling of the LOTR? Can't Post

This thread is a response to the "What BUGS you about the films?" thread.

Anytime a film adaptation is stacked up against the novel it was based on, the film is usually going to fall short. And when the source novel is one of the literary classics of all time, the comparison is going to be especially harsh. That said, I think it's absolutely amazing how well Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films have stood the test of time. The films have become all-time classics in the same way JRR Tolkien's books have.

While I could nit-pick things that I wish the filmmakers would have done differently, I find myself more impressed by how many of the changes improved the story and gave us new insights into some of the characters we thought we knew.

I won't make a comprehensive list of all of film's enhancements here because I'd like to see if other posters point out some of the same ones I see. But I will kick this thread off by pointing out one of my personal favorites: Jackson's version of the Breaking of the Fellowship.

By having the orcs attack our heros before Frodo and Sam set off across the river, Jackson was able to make the breaking of the Fellowship a triumph rather than a failure. Instead of the mass confusion we see in the books, the end of the Fellowship is transformed into a celebration of the power of friendship---a theme of the books that Jackson has amped up in the films. Jackson's change made the decision to include Merry and Pippin in the Fellowship relevant rather than irrelevant to the Ringbearer's quest. It made Aragorn's decison more understandable, Frodo's behavior more honorable, and Boromir's death more tragic. The film version is now my personal view of "what really happened" at the breaking of the Fellowship.

Your thoughts?

(This post was edited by Black Breathalizer on Jan 7 2012, 5:39pm)

Subject User Time
Where did the Films IMPROVE ON the telling of the LOTR? Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 7 2012, 5:38pm
    Many instances Alientraveller Send a private message to Alientraveller Jan 7 2012, 6:24pm
        Film enhancements Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 7 2012, 10:10pm
        Not passing off Eowyn as a man opened a lot of doors Arwen Skywalker Send a private message to Arwen Skywalker Jan 8 2012, 2:31am
            Speaking of Eowyn Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Jan 8 2012, 7:26pm
    Two in particular, to my mind: Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jan 7 2012, 8:46pm
        a second vote for PJ/SB's Boromir telain Send a private message to telain Jan 9 2012, 8:35pm
            Yes, I agree. Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jan 9 2012, 9:31pm
                Film is often subtle Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Jan 13 2012, 9:44am
                    But they don't need to be subtle to be good kzer_za Send a private message to kzer_za Jan 18 2012, 2:10pm
    Moving the section shadowdog Send a private message to shadowdog Jan 7 2012, 11:13pm
    I can't think on any concrete examples sadly, but how about the parts in LOTR books that are only very briefly mentioned, Xanaseb Send a private message to Xanaseb Jan 8 2012, 12:16am
    I completely agree with you... hazel-dell Send a private message to hazel-dell Jan 8 2012, 12:17am
    Rohirrim showing up at the end of TTT MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Jan 8 2012, 2:05am
    some off the top of my head Mooseboy018 Send a private message to Mooseboy018 Jan 8 2012, 5:56am
    The smoke ship. OhioHobbit Send a private message to OhioHobbit Jan 8 2012, 8:27pm
    IMO Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 9 2012, 3:56am
        Jackson DID INDEED IMPROVE the LOTR mythology. Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 9 2012, 6:28pm
            Obviously... Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 9 2012, 6:34pm
                destruction of the ring Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 9 2012, 6:54pm
                    It works Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 9 2012, 7:07pm
                        I never thought Orcs could be sound different Alientraveller Send a private message to Alientraveller Jan 9 2012, 7:20pm
                        Thanks for elaborating MatthewJer18 Send a private message to MatthewJer18 Jan 9 2012, 7:30pm
                            Sorry to say.. Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 9 2012, 7:47pm
                                Words are funny critters . . . TomthePilgrim Send a private message to TomthePilgrim Jan 9 2012, 8:15pm
                                    Where? Tolkien Forever Send a private message to Tolkien Forever Jan 12 2012, 9:52pm
                        Improving Tolkien's story? TomthePilgrim Send a private message to TomthePilgrim Jan 9 2012, 8:02pm
                        enhancing the story Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 9 2012, 11:03pm
                            No... Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 9 2012, 11:20pm
                            I don't see why it would have been a letdown. RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Jan 9 2012, 11:53pm
                                the end of the ring Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 10 2012, 12:53am
                    It was important to Tolkien that Frodo, in the end, fails to destroy the Ring squire Send a private message to squire Jan 13 2012, 1:22pm
                        End of the ring Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 13 2012, 5:20pm
                            Just for your entertainment sador Send a private message to sador Jan 15 2012, 8:43am
                                re: the end of the ring Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 15 2012, 4:38pm
                                    Light years, schmight years Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Jan 15 2012, 7:00pm
                                    Uh, what...?!?!? Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 15 2012, 8:39pm
                                        I think you're responding to a different person Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Jan 15 2012, 9:58pm
                                            If you switch over to threaded mode, you'll see that Malveth did respond to Black Breathalizer. // Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Jan 15 2012, 10:08pm
                                            Yes She-lob Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 15 2012, 10:11pm
                                        Oy! TomthePilgrim Send a private message to TomthePilgrim Jan 15 2012, 10:51pm
                                            Isn't this the wrong board? sador Send a private message to sador Jan 16 2012, 7:14am
                                            This... Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jan 17 2012, 12:58am
                                        the Lord of the Rings mythology Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 16 2012, 6:08pm
                                            Hmmmm Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 16 2012, 6:41pm
                                                the mythology of the Lord of the Rings Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 16 2012, 9:30pm
                                                    Ugh Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 16 2012, 9:40pm
                                                        Sorry, Malveth, I agree with B.B. on this... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jan 16 2012, 11:24pm
                                                            Really?? Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 16 2012, 11:52pm
                                                                We are writing of two different things. Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jan 17 2012, 12:01am
                                                                    No Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 17 2012, 12:26am
                                                                        That still is not what Black Breathalizer seems to have meant Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jan 17 2012, 12:42am
                                                                            Screed? Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 17 2012, 12:59am
                                                                                the mythology of the Lord of the Rings Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 17 2012, 2:39am
                                                                                    Sigh... Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 17 2012, 3:14am
                                                                                        the two complement each other Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 17 2012, 6:59pm
                                                                                    Okay, here there is certainly room for disagreement Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jan 17 2012, 8:24am
                                                                                        One doesn't have to be a "purist" to see Tolkien's work as the definitive one kzer_za Send a private message to kzer_za Jan 18 2012, 2:10pm
                                                                                            Oh, I certainOly agree... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jan 18 2012, 2:27pm
                                                                                                Well Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jan 18 2012, 3:04pm
                                                                                            Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 19 2012, 3:44am
                                                                                                Believe? sador Send a private message to sador Jan 19 2012, 8:51am
                                                                                                    Writer vs. Filmmaker The Elf Artist Send a private message to The Elf Artist Jan 19 2012, 2:58pm
                                                                                                    Too far???? Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 19 2012, 6:56pm
                                                                                                        Some people just don't want Jackson's vision. Or Tolkien's for that matter. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jan 19 2012, 9:35pm
                                                                                                            I didn't want a 100 hour minseries... Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 19 2012, 11:17pm
                                                                                                Does it matter? Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 19 2012, 9:14pm
                                                                                                    One last time.... Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 20 2012, 3:50am
                                                                                                        Well said Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jan 20 2012, 5:56pm
                                                                                                Legitimately licensed does not guarantee approval... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jan 20 2012, 6:59pm
                                                                                                    Yeah, it's not the same thing as The Godfather kzer_za Send a private message to kzer_za Jan 20 2012, 7:20pm
                                                                                                    an 'alternate canon' is in the eyes of the beholder Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 21 2012, 3:03pm
                                                                                                        'Alternate canon' is empirically observable fact... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jan 21 2012, 3:14pm
                                                                                                            LOTR canon Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 21 2012, 3:43pm
                                                                                                                No need to get defensive Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jan 21 2012, 6:39pm
                                                                                                                    That's not me!!! Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 21 2012, 7:17pm
                                                                                                                        Sorry, I missed the 'if' in the previous post. Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jan 21 2012, 7:26pm
                                                                                                                            observation Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 22 2012, 12:50am
                                                                                                                                I disagree Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jan 22 2012, 3:45am
                                                                                                                                    . Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 22 2012, 4:41am
                        end of the ring Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 13 2012, 5:31pm
                            Not an accident. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jan 13 2012, 5:41pm
            Not I... Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Jan 13 2012, 9:41am
                the end ot the ring Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 13 2012, 1:10pm
                Agreed (Shelob) Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 15 2012, 4:37am
    The fundamental change for me.... moreorless Send a private message to moreorless Jan 9 2012, 8:08am
    Great thread! zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Jan 9 2012, 8:11am
    The main thing Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jan 9 2012, 4:38pm
    As far as I'm concerned... sador Send a private message to sador Jan 9 2012, 8:11pm
    By eliminating Tom Bombadil. RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Jan 9 2012, 11:46pm
        Ha ha! Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 9 2012, 11:58pm
            Tra-la-la-lally! RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Jan 9 2012, 11:59pm
                Down... Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 10 2012, 12:37am
        Yes! Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jan 10 2012, 3:05am
            Actually... Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 10 2012, 3:15am
                Yikes! Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Jan 10 2012, 4:11am
                    Yikes indeed Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jan 10 2012, 4:22am
            a long diversion Arwen Skywalker Send a private message to Arwen Skywalker Jan 12 2012, 4:45am
                A lot happened in those seventeen years Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jan 12 2012, 11:16am
    Besides the hot babes? Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jan 13 2012, 3:18pm
    Movie bits dreamflower Send a private message to dreamflower Jan 13 2012, 11:29pm
    Knife in the Dark Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jan 16 2012, 6:11pm
    Well.... Tookish Hobbit Girl Send a private message to Tookish Hobbit Girl Jan 17 2012, 2:41am
    Now the inverse of this has many examples Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jan 17 2012, 7:30pm
    Wow. This thread strayed pretty far from where it started. WrathOfCaradhras Send a private message to WrathOfCaradhras Feb 1 2012, 4:14am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.