Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Necromancer Storyline Half-Revealed by Benedict Cumberbatch
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Mybear
Bree

Jan 5 2012, 9:54pm

Post #1 of 95 (4457 views)
Shortcut
The Necromancer Storyline Half-Revealed by Benedict Cumberbatch Can't Post

http://www.empireonline.com/.../story.asp?NID=32799

In this article, Benedict says, "Iím playing Smaug through motion-capture and voicing the Necromancer, which is a character in the Five Legions War or something which Iím meant to understand. Heís not actually in the original Hobbit. Itís something [Peter Jackson]ís taken from Lord Of The Rings that he wants to put in there."

In my humble opinion I think the Necromancer won't actually appear at the battle of five armies...but the Orc/Goblin/Warg army (which will be under the command of him) will battle.
Think about it....Sauron doesn't make a physical appearance in any of the lotr battles, where he is actually the main villian...so why would he appear here...they took out Aragorn battling him at the black gate because they thought it wasn't the main story.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 5 2012, 10:02pm

Post #2 of 95 (2093 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

So, if we read this right, that would mean that Sauron is having some influence on the goblins once more. Kinda makes sense. The Force has a great influence on the weak-minded.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 5 2012, 10:02pm

Post #3 of 95 (2125 views)
Shortcut
Let's just hope that BC doesn't know what he's talking about... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron in BO5A is a stupid idea

Mybear
Bree

Jan 5 2012, 10:06pm

Post #4 of 95 (1955 views)
Shortcut
Totally [In reply to] Can't Post

If he is at the battle...worst...idea...ever

IDLookout
Rivendell

Jan 5 2012, 10:11pm

Post #5 of 95 (1956 views)
Shortcut
Yuck [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping that PJ isn't adding this in to create more "drama" for the butts in the seats.

Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
He's only three feet tall.
Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
The bravest little hobbit of them all.

-Leonard Nimoy

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2012, 10:11pm

Post #6 of 95 (2075 views)
Shortcut
similar to what I theorised in the Necromancer and Smaug as allies thread [In reply to] Can't Post

but I definitely dont think it will be as direct an influence as is hinted at.

No way did I expect Sauron's physical presence in Bo5A.....

I highly doubt itCrazy

The Five Istari:

Sarry, Gandy, Raddy, Ally and Pally

A great bunch :)

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Jan 5 2012, 10:16pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2012, 10:14pm

Post #7 of 95 (1944 views)
Shortcut
It would sort of makes sense when it comes to the orcs loyalty to Sauron later on [In reply to] Can't Post

But I have to say I dislike this. Hopefully Cumberbatch talked about something else.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2012, 10:23pm

Post #8 of 95 (2010 views)
Shortcut
Sauron at the Battle of Five Armies? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm open to the idea. They're adding plenty of new material to pad out the film, so resolving the Necromancer subplot by writing the character into the BOFA would be an interesting move. Smaug is already dead by this point, so I don't think there's a risk of the Necromancer overshadowing him; it's a bit like Saruman showing up after Sauron is defeated in Return of the King. Not that I'm necessarily endorsing this change Ė I just don't think we have enough knowledge to assume it will be damaging to the story.

But maybe Cumberbatch fumbled his words and all this fuss is over nothing. We'll see.

burrahobbit
Rohan

Jan 5 2012, 10:34pm

Post #9 of 95 (1989 views)
Shortcut
Dol Guldur diversion [In reply to] Can't Post

When the White Council assault Dol Guldur the Necromancer flees. It's a bit of a dead-end storywise and not all that exciting. A possible approach is the plot could be told as if Dol Guldur is a deliberate diversion by the Necromancer to take Gandalf's attention away from Erebor and the goblin-warg attack. That could work.

I really hope Mr Cumberpatch is getting confused. He clearly hadn't performed the parts at the time of the interview and admits himself he didn't understand who the character is. PJ & co. wouldn't be so stupid as to put the necromancer at the Bot5A? Would they?? *Cue Arwen at Helms Deep flashback* Crazy

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 5 2012, 10:35pm

Post #10 of 95 (1848 views)
Shortcut
Weird [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, so let's see...

1. He flees the White Council
2. He shows up a the Mountain

why? Smaug was the only real reason to go there...I dunno, this sounds sketchy to me.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2012, 10:37pm

Post #11 of 95 (1870 views)
Shortcut
Well, now that you mention it [In reply to] Can't Post

Ending the Dol Guldur sub-plot with the Necromancer fleeing doesn't really sound exciting, and would probably come off as rather pointless unless they throw in a big battle.

"Oh, so the Necromancer fled and they show up at an empty castle. Oh, ok."

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2012, 10:45pm

Post #12 of 95 (1825 views)
Shortcut
That comment doesn't sound like he himself understood anything about the plot yet [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't make many conclusions about it. Not yet.

<3 Gandy, Raddy, Sharkey, Ally & Pally <3

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2012, 10:46pm

Post #13 of 95 (1866 views)
Shortcut
He doesn't sound like he knew. *fingers crossed* // [In reply to] Can't Post

<3 Gandy, Raddy, Sharkey, Ally & Pally <3

duats
Grey Havens

Jan 5 2012, 11:18pm

Post #14 of 95 (1868 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

That's all that needs to be said.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 5 2012, 11:57pm

Post #15 of 95 (1817 views)
Shortcut
That interview was in August 2010. Over a year-plus ago! :0P.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless that was a typo in the original article and they meant August 2011. If it was in 2010, at that time Cumberbatch likely had little clue about the character he would be portraying. The quote sounds a little naive. He wouldn't express himself in that way about his role if interviewed today.

I think the information is taken out of context and is misleading.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2012, 1:48am

Post #16 of 95 (1716 views)
Shortcut
The date I see is Jan 5th, 2012... [In reply to] Can't Post

at the top of the page, so fairly recent. Tongue I'm not sure about this...we've been discussing the role of the two antagonists in the film (Smaug and Sauron), but the Necromancer actually appearing in the Bo5A...seems a tad obvious/Hollywood (like the original ending of RotK as pointed out). As Flagg said, it could work, and I can see why this might have been included in the film...we can only wait and see.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Jan 6 2012, 1:51am

Post #17 of 95 (1735 views)
Shortcut
Cumberbatch [In reply to] Can't Post

When Cumberbatch talks about "the Five Legions War or something which I'm meant to understand," that should be a cue that you shouldn't read too much into what he's saying.

Wink

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2012, 1:51am

Post #18 of 95 (1706 views)
Shortcut
truly hope the necromancer is NOT at the BO5A [In reply to] Can't Post

it just takes everything way off base. and you would think if the Necromancer being Sauron in hiding were that close to the ring he would be able to detect it even in his weakend state

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Jan 6 2012, 1:53am)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jan 6 2012, 1:56am

Post #19 of 95 (1681 views)
Shortcut
As long as it is consistent with LOTR (movie), I'm open to new ideas. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron taking physical form would be a terrible mistake, which I'm sure they won't make.
As already said, they took him out at the end of ROTK, why adding him 60 years before that?
That would make no sense.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

mithrandir7

Jan 6 2012, 2:05am

Post #20 of 95 (1678 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't read into this... [In reply to] Can't Post

No actor would be this (publicly) clueless about the character they are portraying, so either the information is out of context or else it is very old.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 6 2012, 2:26am

Post #21 of 95 (1687 views)
Shortcut
If you link to the original article that the new article references, it states that the original interview where the quote occurred took place in August 2010. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just click on the hyperlink embedded in the first paragraph of the newer article to go to the original article....

(This post was edited by Bladerunner on Jan 6 2012, 2:33am)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2012, 2:41am

Post #22 of 95 (1657 views)
Shortcut
But Cumberbatch wasn't announced as being cast until...June 2011? [In reply to] Can't Post

And rumors about his possible involvement only started slightly before that...it must have been a typo and the magazine meant August 2011, which, will not very recent, is only four months removed (as opposed to over a year).

2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jan 6 2012, 2:44am)

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 6 2012, 2:45am

Post #23 of 95 (1632 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, Aug 2011 is what I'm guessing. i'm thinking that was a typo. [In reply to] Can't Post

but in August 2011, he was probably still not as prepared or understanding of the role as he would be if he were interviewed in January 2012.

Makes me wonder how he was able to prepare for the audition sufficiently to land the roles if he wasn't that familiar with the story....

(This post was edited by Bladerunner on Jan 6 2012, 2:52am)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2012, 2:53am

Post #24 of 95 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Well, actors often tend to speak in generalities... [In reply to] Can't Post

Many of the cast from LotR while recording the DVD commentaries still couldn't figure out whether a Nazgul was a Nazgul or a Fell Beast was a Nazgul, or whether Gondor was a city or a kingdom or a whatever (Karl Urban, that was directed at you)! Cool

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jan 6 2012, 2:56am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2012, 4:47am

Post #25 of 95 (1590 views)
Shortcut
FYI OP [In reply to] Can't Post

that interview was months ago, everything Cumberbatch says is conjecture with regards to the Necromancer storyline, frankly this is not even worth a discussion in-regards to the Necromancer showing up at the BOTF5.

They captured members of the Faithful and sacrificed them in the fires of the altar, in the hope that Melkor would release them from Death.

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Jan 6 2012, 4:49am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.