Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"Anyone get the license plate of that reindeer?" - The weekly reading thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2012, 1:13pm

Post #1 of 31 (222 views)
Shortcut
"Anyone get the license plate of that reindeer?" - The weekly reading thread! Can't Post

*Dusts self off - staggers around woozily - rubs hoof-sized bruises on aching back* Geez - you'd think creatures that can fly would be a little lighter in the hoof!

Many thanks to Lily for a wonderful job with last week's thread whilst I was being run over enjoying a fabulous week with family back in Minnesota!

I had no time to post,, but I did have time to finish Cursor's Fury, the third book in the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. I was a bit lukewarm on the second book in the series, Academ's Fury - I reported at the time that it seemed slow, contrived and it felt like Butcher was using a number of crutches too frequently. Well, Cursor's Fury really changed all that and more - I ate it up (the same treatment I gave to far too many holiday treats...), and quickly dove into the 4th book Captain's Fury. I've got to say - I'm completely absorbed at this point. The plots are great, and the weaving of all the plot points that Butcher has been working on since the beginning of the first book is truly masterful - and they are starting to pay off. After the second book, I thought the inclusion of this series in NPR's top 100 Sci Fi/Fantasy books was merely a surrogate for Butcher's Dresden Files series - which didn't qualify as Fantasy, I guess, but after books 3 & 4, I'm a bit miffed this series wasn't higher on the list.

The books aren't with flaw - I don't think Butcher has really thought through how people would actually behave in a world where people have the powers he gives them (for instance, in a world where the ability to change your appearance dramatically is common, no one ever considers whether the person they are talking to is actually who they think they are) - but they are absolutely an absorbing read.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to reading the new Pratchett (Snuff!) and Foxtrot (Math, Science and Unix Underpants) books that Mrs. Notta got me for Christmas.

Oh - and happy birthday, Professor!

Notta

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013: Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main (image courtesy of Arwen's daughter)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 3 2012, 3:13pm

Post #2 of 31 (106 views)
Shortcut
Glad to see you up and about ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for taking my throwing you under a reindeer in such good spirits Cool I was glad to help out.

I'm pretty much caught up with the magazines now, including the recent issue of Archaeology. One discovery listed in its year-end wrap-up is the undisturbed Viking burial in the Ardnamurchan area of western Scotland which was mentioned here on TORn a while back, mainly because the artist's conception of the original burial is a---if I say "dead ringer" please don't take it as a pun!Blush ---for Boromir and his shield in the Lorien boat.

I've been to Ardnamurchan several times and am wondering specifically where the burial is, although I suppose the scientists are deliberately not divulging details.

I'm also reading yet another Irish travel book, this one by an American living in Dublin searching out the perfect traditional Irish pub, which doesn't seem to actually exist. And probably never did, but was mostly a product of folklore. It's a quiet book, with the author musing entertainingly, just the thing to read while I'm under the weather.

What does it say about the year ahead when your good-luck dish of black-eyed peas on New Year's Day makes you sick? One of my friends suggested I was visualizing whirled peas Wink too hard, which works better than thinking it was an omen for the year ahead. Shocked

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2012, 3:31pm

Post #3 of 31 (104 views)
Shortcut
Whirled peas [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent a day with my innards running a fire drill, and I highly suspect some warmed over split pea soup as the culprit. I almost couldn't read your whirled peas comment. Then again, maybe we both just got a virus? All I am say-ing, is give peas a chance.

Thanks again for taking over, and I hope you feel "above the weather" very soon!

Notta

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013: Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main (image courtesy of Arwen's daughter)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 3 2012, 4:23pm

Post #4 of 31 (113 views)
Shortcut
Give peas a chance.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you, too, are "above the weather" very soon! I suppose it's the holiday season, things go around. The poor Gaffer's had some sort of respiratory bug for over a week now. When he's too sick to sit and read, you know he's sick.

A happy healthy new year to you!

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 3 2012, 7:10pm

Post #5 of 31 (108 views)
Shortcut
Death Comes to Pemberley [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sad to say this book was a disappointment. James captures Austen's tone and characters perfectly, and she certainly knows how a murder trial was conducted in 1803. But the whole murder mystery itself fell flat for me, because no one figures it out - there's no detective, and I thought for sure Darcy would be that person, or perhaps both Mr. & Mrs. Darcy together. Instead, the solution is revealed at the last minute in a way that I found most unsatisfactory. I have to wonder if James just had too much reverence for Austen to make her characters into detectives? A pity; Carrie Bebris had no such compunction and her books are a lot more fun to read, even if she's not as accomplished a writer as James.

Also James really ought to know that Anne and Frederick Wentworth weren't married until 1814 . . .

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2012, 7:39pm

Post #6 of 31 (95 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

Death was favorably reviewed in this thread a few weeks ago.

I haven't read it myself, nor any of the Austen source material, so I'll stay out of the fray. Cool

Notta

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 3 2012, 8:28pm

Post #7 of 31 (137 views)
Shortcut
I just saw a review similar to yours... [In reply to] Can't Post

...on a mystery discussion list, titled "Disappointment Comes to Pemberley". So you're not alone in your opinion.

As for Bebris, I read the first of hers and have to admit it didn't go down well with me at all. I like paranormal elements in my work, but this is Jane Austen, for heaven's sakes, who has enough going for her that Bebris didn't need to ladle in the supernatural as well.

Then there was Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. The mash-up a clever idea, but the callous violence of the zombie novel and the comedy of manners/wittiness of the original novel just never meshed. Although I have to admit that once the author set up his alternate-Austen world, he carried it through.

Isn't someone else doing Austen-based mysteries? And isn't there a series where Jane herself is a detective?

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 3 2012, 11:40pm

Post #8 of 31 (96 views)
Shortcut
Speedydel [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, i think that was it.
What, you no see the bright red nose coming?Laugh

I am happy you had a grand time with family to take in the holiday Notta.

I have just been working on the Lost Tales which is a delight.

Happy New Year to you:)

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2012, 1:34am

Post #9 of 31 (108 views)
Shortcut
That would be a great license plate! [In reply to] Can't Post

It reminds me of Mr. Speedy Delivery from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

And I did see the red light, but silly me thinking red light = tail light... I thought I was in fine shape!

Enjoy Lost Tales!

Notta

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 4 2012, 2:36am

Post #10 of 31 (85 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh
Mr. McFeeley :)
You know it is hard to gauge an 80+mph speeding uni-light reindeer too.

Oromë and Yavanna Palurien are fascinating.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 4 2012, 3:43pm

Post #11 of 31 (101 views)
Shortcut
The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just started this; I got the free sample on my kindle, but thought $20 was too steep for a kindle book I may only read once, so I put it on reserve at the library and am going to pick it up this morning. The argument is that statistically you are hundreds of times less likely to die by violence now than in ages past, and that we've forgotten how very violent the past was. Of course there are terrible examples of violence in today's world, but he's talking averages, and looking at why he thinks the world is getting more peaceful.

I have noticed myself, when reading books written more than a hundred years ago (the Count of Monte Christo comes to mind) that the characters go about armed with swords as a daily practice, which tells you something.

Anyway, should be interesting.

I hope you enjoy Snuff. I really did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2012, 4:10pm

Post #12 of 31 (90 views)
Shortcut
Silent Army [In reply to] Can't Post

A novel, but reads like a memoir, about the resistance movement in Malaya during the Japanese invasion in 1941-45. One always hears/reads about the French Resistance, but not in this part of the world. Very interesting. The extensive resistance is mainly made up of Chinese, Indian and Malay, both men and women.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 4 2012, 4:22pm

Post #13 of 31 (82 views)
Shortcut
Stephanie Barron's "Jane Austen Mysteries" series [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read several. They are beautifully done, and nothing supernatural. The author has worked hard to coordinate the murder mysteries with Jane Austen's actual travels and tie them to her publications.

I can see how Bebris's supernatural slant could be off-putting. It would have been okay in one book but she keeps bringing it in. I think her desire is to show that Elizabeth is open to the intuitive and non-rational while Darcy is entirely of the Enlightenment, and as I am writing about that split in Western culture myself, I like that - but it could have been done in a less spectacular way. I also have a problem with Bebris sidelining other characters. Elizabeth never seems to talk to Jane, for example; I just can't imagine Elizabeth not continuing to have the same close relationship to her sister despite both of them now being married. Makes me a bit angry actually that she would suggest that marriage replaces prior female friendships. But still, at least in her books both Darcy and Elizabeth do the detecting.

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 4 2012, 4:29pm

Post #14 of 31 (88 views)
Shortcut
in the TED talk he gave [In reply to] Can't Post

he says that one major difference is that we are now horrified by the awful things some people do, where before, we'd have brought our knitting and sat and cheered as it went on. Our level of sensitivity to cruelty is much, much higher than in the past. Paradoxically this is why people tend to think things are worse than before.

Now, instead of people reveling in watching cruelty, we have shows like Nancy Grace where people can revel in their outrage over it.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 4 2012, 4:49pm

Post #15 of 31 (103 views)
Shortcut
Stephanie Barron, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

As soon as I read your post, I remembered who it was. Thanks for the recommendation---I'll check out one of her books.

No, I have no problem with the contrast of intuitive and rational---I have characters split that way in my own books---but yes, Bebris seemed to go completely overboard with the supernatural aspects. At least in the one book I read, the first one in the series.

I agree, female friendships are just as important whether married or not, and I say that as someone who's been married 40 years!

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2012, 6:05pm

Post #16 of 31 (64 views)
Shortcut
Any idea how true to fact it is? [In reply to] Can't Post

Since you say novel, I assume it's fiction. But I'd have no idea whether something on this topic was entirely made up or not.

Notta

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2012, 6:07pm

Post #17 of 31 (69 views)
Shortcut
Chickens and eggs [In reply to] Can't Post

Are we more sensitive because we see less violence so we are not used to it, or is there less violence because we are more sensitive to it? Probably they feed off each other, I'd guess.

Notta

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2012, 6:09pm

Post #18 of 31 (63 views)
Shortcut
That does sound interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like good reading for that segment that thinks today's advancements are evil and pine for the simpler days of yore...

Notta

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 4 2012, 6:17pm

Post #19 of 31 (91 views)
Shortcut
I just found the link to the talk: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ramBFRt1Uzk

Don't have time to watch it now, but I certainly plan to.

I'm thinking about how catastrophic events sear themselves into our consciousness. The Holocaust comes first to mind, but I did some reading a while back about the Salem witch trials, and apparently the resulting shame and disgust really changed the way Americans think, and may have helped to pave the way for the rationalism of the eighteenth century.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 4 2012, 7:18pm

Post #20 of 31 (72 views)
Shortcut
A Game of Thrones. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow. I finished it last night and I'm off to the book store this morning to buy book two. At no point in the book did I correctly guess what was going to happen next - a great plot driven by its characters (rather than the other way around).

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2012, 7:40pm

Post #21 of 31 (62 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely. [In reply to] Can't Post

One simply cannot guess the twists and turns in that series!

Notta

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 4 2012, 7:42pm

Post #22 of 31 (75 views)
Shortcut
one of my ancestors was hung as a witch [In reply to] Can't Post

warlock really, as he was male. He refused to "admit" and recant his crimes, which of course made him guilty . . .

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 4 2012, 11:27pm

Post #23 of 31 (81 views)
Shortcut
Tunnel in the Sky [In reply to] Can't Post

Pulled some pulp sci-fi from my to-read stack for the beach. I'm likely the only person on Aruba reading Heinlein on the beach, but I'm certainly having fun with it.

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013
Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2012, 1:01am

Post #24 of 31 (52 views)
Shortcut
Oh my - Aruba! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds very nice on our coldest day yet this year!

Enjoy -

Notta

acheron
Gondor

Jan 5 2012, 1:18am

Post #25 of 31 (59 views)
Shortcut
Awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy! At least until you finish book 5 and start waiting around impatiently with the rest of us. Wink

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.