Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Actors considered for the Hobbit film. My cents worth of opinion!

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Sep 18 2007, 12:37am

Post #1 of 25 (3433 views)
Shortcut
Actors considered for the Hobbit film. My cents worth of opinion! Can't Post

I suggest three actors who would be great in the Hobbit, and who also have not been considered.

First off, and for the most important role as Bilbo - Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who you ask? This guy: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000450/
Martin Freeman has the advantage of being a British actor, sure, but is he as talented as Mr. Hoffman? Sitting in my magical director's chair I would give this actor a chance. I've seen a bit of his work in a handful of films. But the interesting thing about Phillip is that his roles have been extremely varied. He hasn't stuck to one type of character in his career which makes me believe he could do something all together different and in a unique fashion as with taking on the challenge of portraying a Hobbit.

The second actor I think would be great to pick as Beorn or one of the main Dwarves, like Gloin or perhaps Balin would be this talented, witty, charming actor, Oliver Platt. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001624/

For the third role for either the Elf Thranduil or even the voice of Smaug - Gary Sinise http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000641/
I suggest this actor over the no less talented Alan Rickman for the voice of Smaug, because I think Mr. Sinise has a certain quality to his voice and demeanor that suggest a bit of moral uncertainty. For Smaug it fits, because Smaug is both threateningly evil and disarmingly friendly at the same time. If Gary Sinise were to instead be the Elf lord that imprisons Bilbo and the Dwarves, who better to present the same sort of character? Obviously Thranduil is not a villian character, but he is not a welcoming host to Bilbo and the Dwarves.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 18 2007, 12:41am

Post #2 of 25 (3184 views)
Shortcut
None of the above. [In reply to] Can't Post

literally!Sly

For Gondor!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 18 2007, 12:54am

Post #3 of 25 (3173 views)
Shortcut
I love both PSH and Sinise [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't think they would be good choices for The Hobbit. Martin Freeman, though, would be perfect as Bilbo.

Why don't I agree with your choices? There's a certain amount of whimsy in The Hobbit, and I can't see either of them being able to pull that off. They're excellent character actors, but The Hobbit is more a plot-driven story.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

vtboyarc
Lorien

Sep 18 2007, 2:47am

Post #4 of 25 (3110 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

....I would like the part. maybe Ill do an online youtube audition

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 18 2007, 9:06am

Post #5 of 25 (3115 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating possibilities! [In reply to] Can't Post

We had quite a discussion on this at DragonCon... and these are some new names, but all people I love to watch!

My favourite Hoffman role is on the movie Twister... and Sinise has what could be a very a very sinister voice. I LOVE OLIVER PLATT! Have you ever seen him in Lake Placid? Classic! I've also thought that Rupert Evans (Hellboy's John Myers) would be a good Bilbo. He certainly resembles both Ian Holm and Elijah Wood.

I'm enjoying your choices. I'm going to ponder these and smile the whole time ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Aragorn'sSexyScar
Rohan

Sep 18 2007, 3:44pm

Post #6 of 25 (3130 views)
Shortcut
What about Orlando for Thranduil? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know many people have mentioned it but wouldn't he be the logical choice? Make up could add a few years to his face and he wouldn't really have to do much else to play Legolas' fatherWink.

Martin Freeman would be really good as a Hobbit, especially a rascal like Bilbo!

I'm not sure about the other roles yet---it's an interesting subject to think aboutSly

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 18 2007, 3:48pm

Post #7 of 25 (3119 views)
Shortcut
I'd say David Bowie. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil is kind of a bad guy/good guy that Bowie would do well. Plus we already know he's interested in Tolkien because he lobbied for the part of Elrond in LOTR.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2007, 4:09pm

Post #8 of 25 (3112 views)
Shortcut
Noooooo! [In reply to] Can't Post

As we all know, I Heart Mr. Bloom, but I would not want to see him play Thranduil. Because although he is not mentioned in the book, there is nothing to say he couldn't have been at his fathers side in Mirkwood or at the Battle of the Five Armies. A little cameo would be cool.

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 18 2007, 4:10pm

Post #9 of 25 (3105 views)
Shortcut
Perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bowie would be awesome as Thranduil. I can just see him in his confrontation with Thorin, with an invisible Bilbo lurking in the background.

“Long will I tarry, ere I begin this war for gold." I can just see Bowie, in elven robes, saying this.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 18 2007, 4:19pm

Post #10 of 25 (3451 views)
Shortcut
How about.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo: Ice Cube

Gandalf: Morgan Freeman

Thorin Oakenshield: Denzel Washington

Kili and Fili: Marlon Wayans, Shawn Wayans

Bombur: Martin Lawrence

The Trolls: DMX, Dr. Dre, and Snoop Dogg

Elrond: Bill Cosby

The Great Goblin: Eddie Murphy

Beorn: James Earl Jones

King Thranduil: Will Smith

Roäc: Chris Tucker

Bard the Bowman: Wesley Snipes

Smaug: Eartha Kitt

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 18 2007, 4:21pm

Post #11 of 25 (3119 views)
Shortcut
No, but seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

Eartha Kitt's voice alone would be PERFECT for Smaug! Her Smaugness...I could live with this choice entirely.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"I can manage it," said Frodo. "I must."

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2007, 4:34pm

Post #12 of 25 (3101 views)
Shortcut
Bowie's an excellent idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's ethereal, whimsical, and a bit sinister -- perfect for Thranduil.

Jason Isaacs could also be an interesting choice for the Elf King.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2007, 4:37pm

Post #13 of 25 (3111 views)
Shortcut
Fantabulous! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug with an Eartha Kitt purr? Rrrrrowl!

I will never think of His Goldness in the same way again.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2007, 4:56pm

Post #14 of 25 (3069 views)
Shortcut
I like the idea of Jason Isaacs.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2007, 5:12pm

Post #15 of 25 (3067 views)
Shortcut
YES [In reply to] Can't Post

He would be my first choice for Thranduil. Now we just have to make sure his people see this! Wink

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 18 2007, 5:15pm

Post #16 of 25 (3101 views)
Shortcut
I'm feeling this [In reply to] Can't Post

horrible sense of de-ja-vewwww...
I still think Bowie as Thranduil would be a living Ezpeleta pic, but I'll spare everyone the link to the photochop as well as the previous discussion.
=)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Patty
Immortal

Sep 18 2007, 5:21pm

Post #17 of 25 (3102 views)
Shortcut
"I'll spare everyone the link to the photochop ..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. My stomach would let loose of lunch if I had to see a Ezpeleta so soon after eating!Laugh

For Gondor!

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2007, 5:41pm

Post #18 of 25 (3053 views)
Shortcut
With ya. Bowie was born to play Elf kings. / [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~

Formerly known as GaladrielTX

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 18 2007, 5:46pm

Post #19 of 25 (3069 views)
Shortcut
How about as the Goblin King? / [In reply to] Can't Post

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Sep 18 2007, 6:44pm

Post #20 of 25 (3064 views)
Shortcut
Figwit played guitar, jammin' good with Bard and Leggy.../ [In reply to] Can't Post

1st JRRT Map Moot in Chicago-- Nov. 2-4, 2007
Another to follow!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JRRTMapsChicago/?yguid=178797892

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 18 2007, 10:55pm

Post #21 of 25 (3048 views)
Shortcut
I love Jason Isaacs! [In reply to] Can't Post

And we know he looks good with long, blonde hair! Wink Good call!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 19 2007, 2:01pm

Post #22 of 25 (3090 views)
Shortcut
What about Julian Sands for Thranduil? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ever see Arachnophobia? He was the doctor with the pony-tail. I think he'd be great as Thranduil!

And I love Darkstone's idea of a Legolas cameo

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 19 2007, 2:36pm

Post #23 of 25 (3035 views)
Shortcut
Not a bad choice, either /nt [In reply to] Can't Post

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Patty
Immortal

Sep 19 2007, 3:34pm

Post #24 of 25 (3028 views)
Shortcut
Another great choice! [In reply to] Can't Post

He has the look of Elrond, (Hugo) which means he has the look of an already established elf (although, of course, they weren't related.)

For Gondor!

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2007, 4:30pm

Post #25 of 25 (3073 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bowie definitely has the bone structure to play an elf lord or just an elf. I could see it.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.