Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
A NEW YEAR song parody (Dan Fogelberg, Same Old Lang Syne)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2012, 6:27am

Post #1 of 14 (245 views)
Shortcut
A NEW YEAR song parody (Dan Fogelberg, Same Old Lang Syne) Can't Post

THE STEWARD AND THE SHIELDMAIDEN

(Dan Fogelberg, Same Old Lang Syne*)

A new acquaintance in the Healing House,
A maiden carried from the field,
Her eyes were grey and staring so forlorn,
Wore her sadness like a shield.

I didn’t recognize the name or face
But then my eyes flew open wide,
I felt a pity when I saw her hurt,
As though something in her died.

You see, my Lord, ‘tis this I cannot stand:
To lie in sloth here, caged and bagged,
There’s no house fairer for those seeking cure,
But for me, the stay has dragged.

So I asked her what she wished of me,
She said she wished to ride to war,
I said my Lady, death may find us yet,
Either looked- or unlooked-for.

We waited for the stroke of doom,
We dared to hope for now
For news of safety from the Eastern gloom,
But neither one knew how.

She said another’s love she’d held out for,
His pity left her cold and dry,
I said her sorrow once I pitied too,
But saw more now, to my eye.

She wore the robes that I had lent to her
Of deepest summer-evening blue
Wrought for my mother late of long ago,
My first grief of youth.

She said it’s seven days he rode away,
I said my joy has known no bound,
Yet pain as well, because of fear and doubt
Of losing what I’d found.

We waited for the stroke of doom,
We dared to hope for now
For news of safety from the Eastern gloom,
But neither one knew how.

We watched for tidings from the Gate,
I waited for the sign
That what I’d found had come too late,
That we were out of time.

And then the sun shone and an Eagle cried,
Sing all ye Children of the West!
The Gate is broken and the King passed through,
The City shall be blessed!

The days that followed, she’d received the call,
I asked her why she did not go?
She looked upon me long, her winter passed,

and said,

Do you not know?

*Source song links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NmdFgFyhnk
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/...g+syne_20035792.html

Happy New Year!

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2012, 7:18am

Post #2 of 14 (70 views)
Shortcut
What a lovely mathom. [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn and Faramir are my favorite characters, so it is doubly appreciated.
Thank you and a Happy New Year!

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2012, 2:49pm

Post #3 of 14 (54 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Lissuin :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know they were your favorite characters. Do you mean separately, or how they end up together? or both?

In any event, that makes it doubly a compliment from you that you enjoyed it. Thanks again and Happy New Year to you too :-)

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 1 2012, 5:40pm

Post #4 of 14 (53 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic tie in :D [In reply to] Can't Post

New Year and a new life for the Lady Eowyn and Steward Faramir! Well Done!!! And Happy New Year Ruxendil :D

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jan 1 2012, 6:43pm

Post #5 of 14 (54 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful, [In reply to] Can't Post

and evocative. Thank you! :)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 1 2012, 8:36pm

Post #6 of 14 (49 views)
Shortcut
Sweet. [In reply to] Can't Post

And timely!

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2012, 8:47pm

Post #7 of 14 (49 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks, all! and here's to [In reply to] Can't Post

... good things happening for us all this New Year!

... including but not limited to a certain something to happen the next coming December ;-)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2012, 8:51pm

Post #8 of 14 (50 views)
Shortcut
Ethel :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much. :-) and, your welcome!

Also, I wanted to you to know, you directly inspired me to write that mathom, by reminding me about the song Auld Lang Syne with your earlier song parody, which then reminded me of the Fogelberg song, which somehow made me think of Faramir and Eowyn. :-)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 1 2012, 10:14pm

Post #9 of 14 (45 views)
Shortcut
Aww! [In reply to] Can't Post

How sweet, and appropriate - but this time, the song's ending is turned for the better! Smile

(And of course you know which classical piece it is, upon which the tune is based? Wink Even the music is pertinent to the situation!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jan 2 2012, 12:07am

Post #10 of 14 (43 views)
Shortcut
thanks dernwyn and, wow, great catch! [In reply to] Can't Post

uh yeah i planned it like that, yeppers AngelicWink

haha actually no, honestly, I hadn't considered how the 1812 Overture would fit in there, so if it works, then I'm thankful for the fortuitous accident, and that you were musically insightful enough to pick up on it. BlushSmile

now that you mention it, I can now imagine the piece booming in the background during the battle at morannen just before the song begins, and the piece's melody leads right into the song. Thank you for your observation, dernwyn Smile

(This post was edited by Ruxendil_Thoorg on Jan 2 2012, 12:08am)

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2012, 7:05am

Post #11 of 14 (42 views)
Shortcut
Yes, my favorite female and male characters and as a couple [In reply to] Can't Post

from the first time I read the books. The Professor did a wonderful bit of matchmaking there. Both of the romantic couples are very well-suited and their situations compelling, but I suppose I can relate to Eowyn's yearnings and fulfillment more than I can to Arwen's need to choose between the man she loves and her immortality.

You followed the themes and development of their relationship beautifully - with nary an ironic wink nor other comedic elements we have enjoyed in your parodies Wink. There is more to you than meets the eye, Ruxendil_Thoorg.

"I asked her why she did not go?
She looked upon me long, her winter passed,

and said,

'Do you not know?' "

Beautiful.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jan 2 2012, 3:45pm

Post #12 of 14 (42 views)
Shortcut
easily the most compelling romance [In reply to] Can't Post

in LOTR was E & F's for sure, for the reason you said. (at least, the only romance between a different genders, yukyuk) Come to think of it, A & A's romance wasn't even really covered until the appendices.

I'm glad (relieved!) to hear my lyrics covered it accurately, I basically had to re-read the pages to write it.

like the part that you quoted--and thank you for calling it beautiful--I'd have to defer the credit mostly to the Professor, it's basically his words, adapted into the song. I tried to use as many as his actual words as I could fit into the Fogelberg song. it's amazing to me that, not only did he write many poems/songs within his stories, but also, the language he used in the prose sections often lend themselves well to poems/songs.

"There is more to you than meets the eye, Ruxendil_Thoorg."
why, thank you, and right back at'cha, Lissuin :-) I think you have quite a way with words, you say the sweetest things Blush

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2012, 9:56pm

Post #13 of 14 (42 views)
Shortcut
Is there a TORn song book yet? There's fine talent on these boards. [In reply to] Can't Post

re:
"like the part that you quoted--and thank you for calling it beautiful--I'd have to defer the credit mostly to the Professor, it's basically his words, adapted into the song. I tried to use as many as his actual words as I could fit into the Fogelberg song. it's amazing to me that, not only did he write many poems/songs within his stories, but also, the language he used in the prose sections often lend themselves well to poems/songs."
Tolkien's style is evocative of ancient sagas, and I feel that I'm sitting by a fire listening to a storyteller when I read him. You adapted his words the way a troubadour might have. Don't blush, it's a nice knack you have. We should be sitting around fires with printed sheets of R_T's and others' songs laughing and weeping. Wouldn't that be a fun activity for a moot, Tolkfolk?

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jan 5 2012, 6:39pm

Post #14 of 14 (77 views)
Shortcut
wonderful ideas, Lissuin [In reply to] Can't Post

if i were asked, i'd love to take part in a TORn songbook if there were such a thing.

And I think it would be a blast to have a moot where we share songs, or poetry, or readings, around a campfire, and to have a chance to meet other TORn participants, who grow increasingly dear to me, in person.

Thank you for comparing me to a troubadour, I am flattered very much by that. (no blushing this time) Smile a while ago in response to a post that asked for how would "you" spend your time in Middle Earth if you had the chance, I posted that I would like to be a wandering minstrel and spread the "news" that I'd have learned from reading Tolkien, to those who might not have heard the tales. And so your compliment is all the more meaningful to me. *bow*

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.