Tolkien Artists, The Bros. Hildebrandt: Loose Ends and That's All Folks
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20 2007, 3:56pm

Post #26 of 35 (5393 views)
Shortcut
The cover of the original Grotta bio! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one of the Hildebrandts that I'm actually fond of! The cover of my 1992 edition of that book replaced that with "JRR Tolkien" spelled out in tree-trunks. My edition does have 15 other Hildebrandts located throughout; do you know if the original had any, other than on the cover?

The bio itself has some nice details not found in Carpenter's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20 2007, 4:07pm

Post #27 of 35 (5386 views)
Shortcut
"Journey in the Dark" is the chapter title [In reply to] Can't Post

but that painting really should be titled "Attack of the Wargs", since that's what's happening (the Wargs being located at the viewer's standpoint...hmm, maybe the Hildebrandts were saying something about those who don't care for their pics?).

I like "Unexpected Party" also! The Dwarves playing their instruments are not done comically, and even their Bilbo, who's sitting there downcast, overwhelmed by what's been happening.

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 21 2007, 1:10am

Post #28 of 35 (5403 views)
Shortcut
mine has two Hildebrandts on the cover [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That's one of the Hildebrandts that I'm actually fond of! The cover of my 1992 edition of that book replaced that with "JRR Tolkien" spelled out in tree-trunks. My edition does have 15 other Hildebrandts located throughout; do you know if the original had any, other than on the cover?

The bio itself has some nice details not found in Carpenter's.

Interesting. My "new ed edition", which has a copyright date of 1992 but was apparently printed circa 2002 (to cash in on the movie hysteria, I suppose) has two Hildebrandts on the cover but no illustrations inside.

Boy, it got bad reviews at Amazon.

Shocked

a.s.

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2007, 4:56am

Post #29 of 35 (5364 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yours is a decade newer [In reply to] Can't Post

I took a look through the reviews! Seems like either people didn't realize that when reading it, they must understand that it was written before the Sil came out and when Tolkien's family had already selected an official biographer; or they didn't care for the Hildebrandt collection; or they knew how old it was and complained that it had not been updated with Sil information.

It does have its innacuracies, but I've found it to be a pleasurable companion to the Carpenter bio!

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 22 2007, 12:17pm

Post #30 of 35 (5381 views)
Shortcut
mine has an Epilogue chapter [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I took a look through the reviews! Seems like either people didn't realize that when reading it, they must understand that it was written before the Sil came out and when Tolkien's family had already selected an official biographer; or they didn't care for the Hildebrandt collection; or they knew how old it was and complained that it had not been updated with Sil information.

Well, maybe if they ordered it online without looking through the pages, but luckily I bought mine on the sale table at B&N (one year in the post Christmas sale markdowns...I got it for I think $2!) and it is clearly "updated" in the sense that it has an epilogue discussing the fact that "in 1977 Tolkien published the Sil" etc. A short chapter on the Sil is included in this edition (the one I bought). I had read it years ago, pre Epilogue date. I think it was the first bio I ever read of Tolkien, except for maybe Carpenter's "The Inklings".

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 23 2007, 11:19pm

Post #31 of 35 (5378 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien the time-traveller? [In reply to] Can't Post

And what city is supposed to be in the background?

In Reply To
You can imagine that as one of the 13 dwarves telling the story of Bilbo's quest to the Professor. Is there any particular story behind that painting?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Feb. 19-25: The Hobbit.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 23 2007, 11:23pm

Post #32 of 35 (5379 views)
Shortcut
"breathes life into Tolkien" [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the reviewer meant that people would get to see the author as a real person not just the creator of a beloved tale, there having been I think only one poor (and little-read? I'm thinking of William Ready's book) full-length biography of Tolkien to date when Grotta-Kurska's work appeared.

In Reply To
I note that the cover of the biography promises to "breathe[] life into J.R.R. Tolkien." That strikes me as odd. If you don't find LotR lively enough, I hardly think that accounts of languages learned, papers graded and deadlines missed are going to change your views.

In Reply To

Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 23 2007, 11:34pm

Post #33 of 35 (5380 views)
Shortcut
Orcs did wear cloaks. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Seige of Minas tirith: Another good one. Love the angles and point of view from the seige tower. Just one question, do orcs wear cloaks?

Sam and Frodo took some as disguises in the Tower of Cirith Ungol.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 23 2007, 11:40pm

Post #34 of 35 (5388 views)
Shortcut
More Arwen in the books than most readers catch. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I will say that I would have liked to have seen more of Arwen in LotR (the book, not the movie!)...]

Not more than you caught, I'm sure, but as Richard West emphasizes in the first part of his essay on Aragorn and Arwen in the Marquette proceedings, Tolkien worked in a fair number of subtle references to Arwen (though even West misses a couple) that only become clear on subsequent readings.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 23 2007, 11:44pm

Post #35 of 35 (5942 views)
Shortcut
"a heavy front plane" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...The normally heavy front plane is broken instead by a “triangle” of light, contrasting nicely by 2 triangles of shadow adding great visual interest (as contrast will)....
"The Siege of Minas Tirith" (1977)
This one is OK. It doesn’t have a heavy front plane, which is good for me...

I like that explanation, which clarifies my dissatisfaction with the BH's use of a shadowed foreground.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.